Calabaza v. Shasa v. Silver Moon Catamaran Snorkling Cruises

Twinsmom05

We are sailing on the 10/23 RCL Serenade of the Seas and are looking at booking excursions in Barbados. I've been reading the posts regarding snorkling / turtle cruises and cannot decide between Calabaza, Shasa and Silver Moon for a 5-hour cruise. PLEASE Help! The prices are relatively similar.

We do have one person who has only gone snorkling once and is not a strong swimmer. Is one of these cruises better given that? Do they go to different places, with some more appropriate for a person lacking experience?

Finally, how is the food? What do each of them serve?

Thanks so much. I'm new to CC, but cannot stop reading it! It is so helpful!

Twinsmom

I can only tell you about Silver Moon---it was a great experience. As I recall, we stopped 2 places, but both were in deep water. BUT the crew is very experienced and I'm sure would help out if there is someone more inexperienced. We didn't have that situation on our sailing, so I'm not 100% sure. I would certainly ask any of the companies you are considering. I'm sure if they are aware ahead of time they would be ready to help an inexperienced swimmer.

For lunch we had a buffet of many items. I know there was flying fish (a favorite dish in Barbados), a Mac n cheese type of dish (yum) and some others I can't remember. Lunch was served on "real" plates and silverware.

We have done them twice and will again in December. A similar experience to that described above. With us, a crew member was in the water, and small life vests were offered to those who wanted one. A first class operation all the way, from taxi pick up at the ship to food, drinks, and taxi return to the ship.

Calabaza is my choice. I cannot imagine a more perfect trip. One lady on our trip could not swim but she was given a float and a crew member stayed with her in the water and she was able to fully join in.

There were 2 stops - the first was to swim with turtles, then over a shipwreck. On the second stop we were near enough the beach to swim ashore if you wanted, which was great. My son actually swam back and fore 3 times and loved it.:)

We've done Silver Moon 6 times and have number 7 booked next year.

Here are our most recent photos, which were our first time on the larger Silver Moon III. The photo this links directly to has a photo of the Shasa in the background. I don't know much about their trip but their catamaran looks small and not in the same class.

Swimming in Barbados off the Silver Moon III

The short description at the top my photo gallery has links to pictures from our past Silver Moon trips too.

Archived