Costa Atlantica April 3rd

JR Ewing

My wife and I will be travelling the Eastern Route. We booked a Grand Suite almost a year ago. The price was so good that I couldn't resist. My first cruise was on NCL's MS Skyward, and second was on RCL's Song of Norway (both when I was in middle school). Since then I cruise the SS Norway in 1991, 1993, and 2003 (just a week before the explosion). We were booked on the Norway again for 2004 but had to change for obvious reasons. We took a stab at Holland America and sailed the Zuiderdam on the Western Route. While we had a great time and a beautiful cabin, I wasn't that impressed with the ship. What can I expect from Costa? Also, while familiar with the Eastern Route, I wanted to know if any of Costa's tours are worthwhile or should we do our own thing? We have never been to San Juan and wanted to know about things to do. Also, as with Holland America, can you purchase rights to shades at the beach, etc.? Finally, is there any parasailing offered? My wife loves to parasail. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I will be travelling the Eastern Route. We booked a Grand Suite almost a year ago. The price was so good that I couldn't resist. My first cruise was on NCL's MS Skyward, and second was on RCL's Song of Norway (both when I was in middle school). Since then I cruise the SS Norway in 1991, 1993, and 2003 (just a week before the explosion). We were booked on the Norway again for 2004 but had to change for obvious reasons. We took a stab at Holland America and sailed the Zuiderdam on the Western Route. While we had a great time and a beautiful cabin, I wasn't that impressed with the ship. What can I expect from Costa? Also, while familiar with the Eastern Route, I wanted to know if any of Costa's tours are worthwhile or should we do our own thing? We have never been to San Juan and wanted to know about things to do. Also, as with Holland America, can you purchase rights to shades at the beach, etc.? Finally, is there any parasailing offered? My wife loves to parasail. Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm.... where to start: I've cruised on Costa twice. Here's my impression - great ship, great service. The ship's based in italy and that's clearly obvious once you get on board. Formal dinners take about 2 hours (keep in mind the same menu is served in the buffett at night if you want to eat more quickly). Costa seems to pride itself on service so you should be pleased there. I can't speak to the food. If it's edible, I eat it.

I've been to San Juan twice. Both times, I've just walked around Old Town San Juan. I'm sure there is an excursion to go see the fort. I think that would be really interesting, just never done it. If you're looking to buy jewelery, skip PR and get it in St. Thomas - I assume that San Juan is your first stop.

I'm not sure about parasailing - I didn't remember seeing any in San Juan, Saint Thomas, or the DR. I don't remember seeing any on Catalina Island (Costa's private beach resort) but I'm sure there's parasailing somewhere, you'll find it I'm sure.

You will have access to beach umbrellas at Catalina Island. To get to the beach, you'll have to take a tender, so disembark from the ship early to stake out a good spot in the sand and make sure you get an umbrella. The sun at Catalina island seems to be more intense than anywhere else I've ever been.

Archived