Where's the best place to buy quality Tanzanite

kjh25

Tanzanite is my favorite hence my name .Ibrought mine at Diamonds international i brought a big loose stone 17.98 i love it have not had it set yet a lot of people do not like this store but im happy with mine. If you buy unmounted no duty when you come back to states you do declare it but they look at it and dont charge you. Ihave also brought here in US but not very many stores have the dark better quality grade what are you looking to buy ?

Unless you have a very good knowledge about gems, I would advise you to buy your tanzanite at a reputable jeweler back home.I bought what seemed like a beautiful sapphire necklace at Dynasty Dazzlers on Main street.When I returned to Canada, I had it evaluated by a certified gemmologist and imagine my disappointment when I found out that it was worth $400 less than what I paid for it.Had I bought it in Canada, I would have had some recourse.

Read on line about Tanzanite theres a lot of info the darkest Tanzanite most expensive.Check out Tanzanite .com they have loveley jewellry. Depends what you want i always buy some jewellry when i am on holiday where ever you buy they make a profit my local jeweller makes money on what i buy i just brought a pendant with a Tanzanite if i like it i buy it not for investment. All jewellers in business to make money i dont feel you get good deal unless you are in wholesale business.Also i have brought from Gem shopping you can learn alot about different gems on here they have lot of Tanzanite. If its a gift on holiday i think its extra special.Let us know what you buy i love jewellry always looking for new pieces to add to my collection.

• 5 weeks later...
Unless you have a very good knowledge about gems, I would advise you to buy your tanzanite at a reputable jeweler back home.I bought what seemed like a beautiful sapphire necklace at Dynasty Dazzlers on Main street.When I returned to Canada, I had it evaluated by a certified gemmologist and imagine my disappointment when I found out that it was worth $400 less than what I paid for it.Had I bought it in Canada, I would have had some recourse.

Did you buy it at one of the shops Carnival recommends? If so, isn't that part of the guarantee? I have no idea, just seems like it SHOULD be!!!

Sorry you got ripped off, that's evil!

Going to be in St Thomas in February and looking for suggestions.

I bought my 2ct tanzanite at Cardows. The store in town has the biggest selection. You buy tanzanite the same way you do a diamond, by the 4 C's. So know what you want to buy before you leave home. My ring was appraised for more than I paid. The darker the stone the better, but make sure the cut and clarity is good too.

Only buy any jewelry while on vacation because you love it, you can afford it, you plan to wear and enjoy it, it will bring you happy memories but you do not think of it as an 'investment'. Plan on never being able to sell it or get anything for it and you will not be disappointed.

Remember the appraisals the jewelers give you in all the islands are for insurance purposes. That means that is what they say it would cost to replace it. Maybe it would and maybe it would not but do not think that is what you could sell it for. Chances are good in this economy, you couldn't even think to sell it.

All that being said,

By all means if you want it and can afford it, you should have it. :) Just use common sense and be 'smart'.

Agree -- all too often the shops in the Caribbean charge way more than if you deal with a reputable dealer at home.

Many times your insurance company will not accept the appraisals done by the shops in the islands and will ask you for one done in the states.

Archived