some fear of eels, sting rays & sharks

merinski

Key Largo .. Pennekamp

one day I was diving there nd concentrating on a picture I was trying to take. Something brushed my inner thigh and I just swept it away. It came back

I looked down to see a green moray rising between my legs, behind the head it appeared to be as big around as my thigh. I engaged all back full and it went back into its hole.

Spousal unit said she'd been trying for a couple of minutes to get my attention as he'd been there a while . . .

in CG we called this 'loss of situational awareness'

I love to snorkel too, we have our own gear and do it every cruise and I also spend a lot of time fishing off the Atlantic coast. The point I'm trying to make is that's it not as safe as people seem to insist it is, Cruisers have been bitten and also killed on snorkeling excursions.

A lot of people are "nipped" by sharks in the surf, you just don't hear about the smaller attacks like you do the deaths.

Another one bitten at the NC coast yesterday:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110819/ARTICLES/110819596/-1/search10?Title=Shark-bites-tourist-at-Kure-Beach

Hope your post doesn't kill you, it certainly meets the qualifications for deadly.

I'm sure the honeymooners wife will agree that it's very safe:rolleyes:

We are talking about the Caribbean here aren't we? Not North Carolina or the Indian Ocean.

International Shark Attack File (ISAF) at the University of Florida.

Since 1997, ISAF has recorded six shark attacks in the Caribbean, compared to 96 in North America.

We are talking about the Caribbean here aren't we? Not North Carolina or the Indian Ocean.

International Shark Attack File (ISAF) at the University of Florida.

Since 1997, ISAF has recorded six shark attacks in the Caribbean, compared to 96 in North America.

Good point

Many more attacks/bites do not make the shark attack file, most listed in this thread didn't.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/GAttack/Caribbean.htm

35 in the Antilles, 26 in the Bahamas

Again, point being is they do happen, can be mild or horrific and down playing the dangers is irresponsible

Good point

Many more attacks/bites do not make the shark attack file, most listed in this thread didn't.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/GAttack/Caribbean.htm

35 in the Antilles, 26 in the Bahamas

Again, point being is they do happen, can be mild or horrific and down playing the dangers is irresponsible

Yep, 35 attacks in the Antilles since 1749!:rolleyes:

I love to snorkel and had the same fears. But over the years I've seen more eels than I can count and they all just hid or pretty much mind their own business. The only one that came near me was a large green moray that I assume was use to being fed (in Grand Cayman). I've also seen a few baracudas. They seemed to like to keep an eye on me as much as I was keeping an eye on them, but they never came towards me. I've also seen rays many places, even fed them in Grand Cayman. They pretty much just try to swim away. I think if you don't step on them, or scare them like Erwin did, you're ok. Now the shark!---I have seen 2 of them: 1 (in Florida) really small nurse shark that just looked cute; the other one (in Kauai) surprised me from behind (maybe 4 or 5 ft long ---they look much bigger under water) and just swam by (a white tipped reef shark). I still have a fear of sharks, but not much fear from the others. I guess I just haven't swam with enough of them yet!UDW0NFx6XQmOO6PyE_bP4A?feat=directlink

Look at it this way... THe water is home to sharks, killer whales, eels, and rays. You are the alien in this environment. Treat it like an aquarium and watch the fish and critters. Learn not to touch them, threaten them, or abuse them and the odds of you ever having a bad encounter will be less than your being struck by a bolt of lightning.

The chance of a great encounter is every time you enter the water. If you are so fearful of having a bad encounter that it prevents you from enjoying it, then you have to ask yourself why do I want to do it. Probably because everyone you know that has done it has had a great encounter.

Do you personally know of anyone who has been bitten by a shark? Eel? Sting ray? Baraccuda? Killer whale? etc? I have been diving since 1973. I do not personnaly know one person who was bitten by a shark, eel, baraccuda, killer whale or ray. No, I do know a couple bitten by a sting ray. We were feeding them and they nipped us when we were holding food in our hands. Our fault, not the rays.

Archived