Things to do for family of 5 in Nassau

teddy'sgirl

My family is taking a cruise on the Fascination from 10/10 to 10/15. We will be in Nassau on Thursday 10/13 from 12n until 10pm. We are looking for something for our 3 kids to do. Ages are 13, 10 and 3. We want to take a trip to the Straw Market and maybe some beach time as well since our other port is Key West the day before. We know we won't get any beach time in at Key West so we're looking for it here. I don't think we really want to go to Atlantis. I may be wrong but from what I've read on these forums and seen on their website, I just don't think it will be something we are interested in. I love to snorkle but the rest of the family isn't wild about it so a snorkle excursion will not work for us either. Tall order, huh? Anyway, any suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated in our planning!

Thanks!

Melissa

My family is taking a cruise on the Fascination from 10/10 to 10/15. We will be in Nassau on Thursday 10/13 from 12n until 10pm. We are looking for something for our 3 kids to do. Ages are 13' date=' 10 and 3. We want to take a trip to the Straw Market and maybe some beach time as well since our other port is Key West the day before. We know we won't get any beach time in at Key West so we're looking for it here. I don't think we really want to go to Atlantis. I may be wrong but from what I've read on these forums and seen on their website, I just don't think it will be something we are interested in. I love to snorkle but the rest of the family isn't wild about it so a snorkle excursion will not work for us either. Tall order, huh? Anyway, any suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated in our planning!

Thanks!

Melissa[/quote']

To me it sounds like you are best going to either the Hilton or Sheraton for some time at the beach. The Hilton is closer and nicer and it is within walking distance of the port, almost right next to the straw market. Have a look at the following for a map and some pictures of the Hilton beach and pool area.

http://www.*****.com/nassau.html

Of course the Sheraton has some activities more suitable for the 13 year old. So . . . .

Keep in mind that after about 5:00 pm there is not much going on in Nassau. You might be best going back to the ship for dinner and evening.

Just an FYI, most hotels in Nassau charge you for use of the beach. The Sheraton is $25 for adults (I'm not sure about kids rate). Hilton is $55 for adults but you get a $30 food/drink voucher. Junkanoo Beach is free and you can rent chairs but there are no toys for the kids. There is a thread on this board about the different beaches, costs and what they include. I myself have a family of 5 so I understand how costs sometimes can be a big factor. Most beaches close at 5, so by the time you get off the ship, take a cab to the hotels, it may not be worth paying for a day pass.

Edit: Here is the link to the post about the different day passes

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369735

We were in Nassau in June with our 9 year old granddaughter. Took the #10 Jitney bus ($1.25 per person each way) and went to the Sheraton. It was great--beautiful pools and beach area. The day pass is $25.00 for adults and $12.50 for kids. (no food included)

To catch the Jitney bus, just ask directions at the information desk in the port building. It is about a 4-5 block walk. When you get on, tell the driver you are going to the Sheraton on Cable Beach. The bus stops right in front of the Sheraton. When leaving, catch the bus (on the opposite side of the street) going back to town.

Here are a couple of pics taken at the Sheraton:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2973903760032455329ALKubS

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2586120840032455329ghgJBb

Archived