travel companion

I'm looking at TravelSafe insurance, which covers cancellation for medical reasons including those of my "travel companions".

I'm traveling in a group of 4 on a cruise in Sept. I'm making the first and final payment today (last minute booking). I took advantage of a 3rd/4th person free promotion, so I only need to cover trip costs for the first two passengers.

If I don't get insurance for the 3rd and 4th, can I still file a claim if we all cancel due to one of them getting a covered sickness? All four of us are listed on the same flight and cruise bookings.

Some insurers define a "traveling companion" as one who is listed on the same insurance policy as you -- basically, they also have to be a "co-insured".

Here's how TravelSafe handles it:

First of all, can you cancel if a traveling companion gets sick?

"Trip Cancellation : Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, to cover You for the unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements, including up to $150 for the cost of airline-imposed fees to rebank frequent flyer miles for air flights to join Your Trip when You are prevented from taking Your Trip due to:

1. Death involving You or Your Traveling Companion or Your or Your Traveling Companion's Business Partner or Your Family Member;

2. A covered Sickness or Injury involving You, Your Traveling Companion or Business Partner, or Your Family Member which necessitates Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation and results in medically imposed restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician, which prevents Your participation in the Trip;"

So, yes you can. Do they have to be "co-insureds"? Here's their definition:

"Traveling Companion" means a person or persons with whom You have coordinated Travel Arrangements and intend to travel with during the Trip."

So if one of them got sick and had to cancel you could cancel also and the fact that they are not insured would have no bearing on your claim.

So if one of them got sick and had to cancel you could cancel also and the fact that they are not insured would have no bearing on your claim.

That's my interpretation as well. I guess I wanted validation from someone else on the forum. And, yes, I know your statement does not constitute official legal advice. ;-)

Thanks.

Archived