Child Control

tntortiz8809

I haven't cruised nearly as many times as most members of CC. I cruised once as a child, and my only Carnival Experience in '05. Reading some threads it seems like the lido pools are completely out of control with children in the hot tubs and jumping off the ledges on to each other.

When I sailed as a child, my parents would absolutely not let me go into the hot tubes. They believed that just because we were on vacation, didn't mean we could be rude to others on vacation. They also knew if they allowed my sister and I into the hot tubs, we'd probably horseplay and become nuisances to others. On my '05 cruise, the hot tubs were packed with kids but not out of control.

I'm a parent of 3, my wife and I are going by ourselves as it's DW's first ever cruise in Jan. We're also looking to book thru Carnival for the entire family for next summer. I, like my parents will not allow our children into the hot tub. I think there are plenty of other activities on board for them and I know they would not act accordingly.

My question is to the parents who allow their kids into the hot tub and allow their kids to horseplay around the hot tubs. Why? I know you're on vacation, but shouldn't there be some level of consideration for the adult guests who would like to relax? CC obviously does not police this much, but shouldn't this fall on the parents? Sorry for the rant, just as a parent I will not allow my children to be inconsiderate of others whether we're on vacation or not....just not sure why other parents think it's okay...

I'm not a parent, but unsupervised kids is one of the reasons that I don't cruise in the summer months. I don't want a 1/3 of the ship to be children.

I think that parents who don't make their children behave fall into one of two categories. They either think that this is there vacation too and they deserve a break from responsibiliy, or they think that the kids are just being kids and don't realize or don't care how annoying it can be for people like me to be around them.

I live a pretty quiet and solitary life working long hours and not being exposed to kids that are screaming and running around all the time. So even when I'm around my own family that have 4, 5 and 6 yo's I have to escape to a quiet place now and then...

I will have to say though that at least for the younger kids, Carnival is doing a great job in their Camp Carnival programs. I really haven't seen too many really out of control mobs of kids, but then I purposely avoid the main pool area.

I haven't cruised nearly as many times as most members of CC. I cruised once as a child, and my only Carnival Experience in '05. Reading some threads it seems like the lido pools are completely out of control with children in the hot tubs and jumping off the ledges on to each other.

When I sailed as a child, my parents would absolutely not let me go into the hot tubes. They believed that just because we were on vacation, didn't mean we could be rude to others on vacation. They also knew if they allowed my sister and I into the hot tubs, we'd probably horseplay and become nuisances to others. On my '05 cruise, the hot tubs were packed with kids but not out of control.

I'm a parent of 3, my wife and I are going by ourselves as it's DW's first ever cruise in Jan. We're also looking to book thru Carnival for the entire family for next summer. I, like my parents will not allow our children into the hot tub. I think there are plenty of other activities on board for them and I know they would not act accordingly.

My question is to the parents who allow their kids into the hot tub and allow their kids to horseplay around the hot tubs. Why? I know you're on vacation, but shouldn't there be some level of consideration for the adult guests who would like to relax? CC obviously does not police this much, but shouldn't this fall on the parents? Sorry for the rant, just as a parent I will not allow my children to be inconsiderate of others whether we're on vacation or not....just not sure why other parents think it's okay...

You don't have to have parenting skills to be a parent. Society is so accepting of borish behavior these days in all areas. We were at a sports bar restaurant once and kids were running through the dinning room yelling and playing while the adults just sat and smiled. After several minutes I asked, "Are there any parents in the house?" Only then did the adults ask their children to settle down. Notice I did not use the word parents. Parents teach their children right from wrong and how to act in public. They also correct their children when the kids cross the line from acceptable behavior to unacceptable behavior. and praise or reward their children for acceptable behavior.

We don't cruise during summer or school breaks so we don't get to witness this poor behavior on the part of the adults and their kids.

I totally agree! My parents would never allow us to act up in public and I certainly monitor my kids - 10 & 6. We are taking them on their first cruise next May and I guarantee no one will be wondering why my kids are hanging out in the hot tub or jumping into the pool. Here's a good one - cruise last October I notice a 2 year old boy trying to walk across that wooden "bench" that goes across the pool and his mother slept in a lounge chair with an empty glass between her legs. He almost fell a few times and other people that were alot closer than me just watched. I went and told security and he told me to "go wake her up." I was amazed that this was OK with security let alone all of the other passengers!

My son is nearly 13 and he will be allowed to use the hot tubs. Why would I not allow him? It is his vacation too. Since he isn't old enough to drink alcohol, he'll be better behaved than some adults.

Our cruise has the adult only area so people should feel free to go there if they don't want kids around.

I totally agree! My parents would never allow us to act up in public and I certainly monitor my kids - 10 & 6. We are taking them on their first cruise next May and I guarantee no one will be wondering why my kids are hanging out in the hot tub or jumping into the pool. Here's a good one - cruise last October I notice a 2 year old boy trying to walk across that wooden "bench" that goes across the pool and his mother slept in a lounge chair with an empty glass between her legs. He almost fell a few times and other people that were alot closer than me just watched. I went and told security and he told me to "go wake her up." I was amazed that this was OK with security let alone all of the other passengers!

Wow that's down right pathetic! I'm not sure which cruise we're going to book next summer, but to the passengers of whichever CC cruise we book...I can assure you all that there will be at least three children ages 3, 9 & 11 that you will not have to worry about misbehaving....

My son is nearly 13 and he will be allowed to use the hot tubs. Why would I not allow him? It is his vacation too. Since he isn't old enough to drink alcohol, he'll be better behaved than some adults.

Our cruise has the adult only area so people should feel free to go there if they don't want kids around.

I feel as though the hot tubs are really intended for adult use. Most gyms that I've gone to have signs that clearly state age restrictions. And to be entirely honest, I really would not have a problem with children in the hot tubs PROVIDED they could actually behave appropriately. If children can sit in the hot tub respectful of others without horseplaying and jumping in, I'd be fine with it. Realistically, anyone who has ever cruised has seen the kids jumping around the hot tub area recklessly...that type of behavior is something I do not approve of whether they are on vacation or not...parents need to teach them to enjoy themselves while also being respectful of others.

I feel as though the hot tubs are really intended for adult use. Most gyms that I've gone to have signs that clearly state age restrictions. And to be entirely honest, I really would not have a problem with children in the hot tubs PROVIDED they could actually behave appropriately. If children can sit in the hot tub respectful of others without horseplaying and jumping in, I'd be fine with it. Realistically, anyone who has ever cruised has seen the kids jumping around the hot tub area recklessly...that type of behavior is something I do not approve of whether they are on vacation or not...parents need to teach them to enjoy themselves while also being respectful of others.

Carnival has no age policy correct? My son will not be breaking any rules by being in the hot tub. If he doesn't behave, I wouldn't think twice about yanking him out. Otherwise he'll be free to stay in as long as he wants.

I too get annoyed by out of control kids and that is why I'll be spending my kid free moments on the Serenity deck:)

Kids don't work....they don't need a vacation. I don't know many 12-13 year old boys that would sit still in a hot tub.

Depending on the heat level in the hot tub, young developing bodies should not enter a hot tub. Prolonged heat could damage a young man's ability to reproduce. Also young ladies could protract some nasty infections. We do not let our granchildren in ours because we keep it around 103. I know Carnival's aren't normally that hot.

On a brighter note, this would not be a bad thing for some of the individuals we have encountered on a cruise or two.

You are basically creating a problem before it has ever happened since you are just going by what someone else said.

Maybe wait to you get on the ship before you declare it a situation.

Many go in the tubs because the pools are salt water and it burns their eyes.

I let my kids go in the hot tub for the same reason you go. Because they can...

You can't control what other people have taught (or not taught) their children...if you could our country would be in a much better place right now.

Just go on vacation to have a good time and don't play the "what might happen" scenario game. Enjoy your cruise!

You are basically creating a problem before it has ever happened since you are just going by what someone else said.

Maybe wait to you get on the ship before you declare it a situation.

Many go in the tubs because the pools are salt water and it burns their eyes.

I let my kids go in the hot tub for the same reason you go. Because they can...

I got news for you. The hot tubs are saltwater, too..

Kids don't work....they don't need a vacation. I don't know many 12-13 year old boys that would sit still in a hot tub.

I pay for my kids cruise same as you pay for yours. My son is 10 and besides school and sports he mows lawns in the neighborhood and helps his great Gma around her house. He DOES work and he DESERVES a vacation. On the other side of that coin I would never allow him to sit in the hot tub UNLESS I was with him. I wouldnt trust some of the adults who are drinking to behave well enough to leave him alone with them.:rolleyes:

I got news for you. The hot tubs are saltwater, too..

I haven't been on Carnival in a few years but I am pretty sure they are fresh water(highly chlorinated).

In fact I have never been in, seen, or heard of a "salt water" hot tub..

And I have done my share.....................

Maybe you don't know a lot of 12-13 year old boys. Get a group of them together and they can be a rowdy bunch. Alone, they are old enough to sit still unless they have something mentally or physically wrong with them.

Depending on the heat level in the hot tub, young developing bodies should not enter a hot tub. Prolonged heat could damage a young man's ability to reproduce. Also young ladies could protract some nasty infections.

Why is it only young men and ladies who are at risk for this? It doesn't impede 40-year old men from reproducing? 40-year old women aren't at risk for "nasty infections"? I'm not sure why it isn't safe for kids, but is for adults?? :confused:

I haven't been on Carnival in a few years but I am pretty sure they are fresh water(highly chlorinated).

I read that the pools are salt-water. Is that not true? :confused:

Yea, they used to be fresh water. Not any more. Only exception might be the ones in the spa, but we don't usually go there, so I'm not sure.

I pay for my kids cruise same as you pay for yours. My son is 10 and besides school and sports he mows lawns in the neighborhood and helps his great Gma around her house. He DOES work and he DESERVES a vacation. On the other side of that coin I would never allow him to sit in the hot tub UNLESS I was with him. I wouldnt trust some of the adults who are drinking to behave well enough to leave him alone with them.:rolleyes:

Lol, good cal!! Your son sounds like a great kid:)

I did not start this thread as an anti-children post. I absolutely adore my children. Kids are kids and they are going to act a certain way...I get it and I deal with it on a daily basis....I'm not saying your kids should not have fun on their vacation and I'm not singling out anyone specific person's children....

My issue is with the parents who believe their kids can do no wrong and allow them to act like children do without trying to teach them respect for others and enforce positive behavior...

with that said, as posted above, I'm insanely excited about our cruise and am excited for DW's first experience....I'll enjoy it no matter what...I just have a problem with parents not actually parenting whether it's on a cruise ship or in society in general....children seem to lack respect, consideration, manners and discipline these days....and this is coming from someone in their 30's.

Archived