X Solstice - New to Cruising

bjtomko

First, there is so much information on this board it is a bit overwhelming. I apologize for asking questions that may have already been answered. Background - We are mid-30’s and booked the Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean Cruise cabin 1044.

How early can we get room-service delivered? If we purchased a beverage package will we be charged for drinks in the room?

We drink water and ginger ale like fish! Based on my math I estimate that I would need to drink 7-8 “glasses” of something a day to break even. However, I am not sure when drinks are included vs. not included. I need OJ at breakfast, ginger ale at lunch and dinner and water all day. Will the package help me during breakfast, lunch and dinner or are they included?

Having never been on a ship, what precautions should I take to avoid seasickness? I have been told Seabands and Bonine OTC will help if I normally don’t get motion sickness. Any other recommendations or is this sound advice?

We booked the “eat when you want” option. Do I need to make reservations in the MDR for 2 before we leave to ensure I will be seated as 2 when I want? Or, can I show up to MDR and expect to be seated in 10-15 minutes? I can wait without an issue, I just don’t want to be told I have to wait 2 hours.

Can I use the mini-fridge in the room to store water, juice, etc, or is this “for purchase” items only?

I really am a space cadet here…what places can I eat on board without having to pay a cover charge besides the MDR? I understand Murano, Tuscan Grille, Silk Harvest and Bistro on 5 have covers. Are there other places I can eat and are they buffet, sit down, or “fast food”?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and patience!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Lots of good questions, I'll answer a couple and let others take over.

For breakfast room service, I believe the earliest time you can list on the card is 7am, but if you need it earlier I think they can usually accommodate you. Ask your room steward.

You can have your steward clear out the mini-fridge. It's really more of a cooler, not a true refrigerator. You can bring aboard all the water and ginger ale you want and use the fridge to at least keep it cool. When we get lunch from the buffet or a burger from the grill, we usually will take a couple of cans of soda with us. I would not do so for the MDR or specialty restaurants, however. If you're arriving at the departure port the day before (strongly recommended), you can pick up some twelve-packs at a nearby store. One trick is to take a roll of duct tape along, wrap them all together, and stick a luggage tag on them-- they'll be delivered to your cabin. We keep some extra room in a suitcase for storing four twelve-packs, then we have room for souvenirs coming home. You can also restock at a port of call.

For select dining, it's not necessary to make a reservation. If you turn up at a popular time or want to get a table for two, there might be a bit of a wait, but not usually very long. A reservation is only necessary if you have a specific time you want to dine and cannot afford to possibly wait.

Be sure to join your roll call for your cruise-- look for the sticky thread towards the top of this forum to learn more about them and how to find yours. Your fellow cruisers will have a wealth of information, as well as have activities like private tours to join (saving you money), sailaway parties, cabin crawls, slot pulls and more.

Enjoy your cruise!

First, there is so much information on this board it is a bit overwhelming. I apologize for asking questions that may have already been answered. Background - We are mid-30’s and booked the Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean Cruise cabin 1044.

How early can we get room-service delivered? If we purchased a beverage package will we be charged for drinks in the room? Yes you would be charged if you ordered drinks brought to your room; but if you go to a bar and get them and carry them back to your room, no charge. I also think room service is 24 hours a day. I know you can get breakfast starting at 6AM.

We drink water and ginger ale like fish! Based on my math I estimate that I would need to drink 7-8 “glasses” of something a day to break even. However, I am not sure when drinks are included vs. not included. I need OJ at breakfast, ginger ale at lunch and dinner and water all day. Will the package help me during breakfast, lunch and dinner or are they included? The included OJ at the buffet is weak, more like Tang. Of course you can get tap water any time. The beverage pkg would give you bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ, and all the ginger ale you like plus some specialty coffees. You can get the breakdown of what's included in each package on the X website.

Having never been on a ship, what precautions should I take to avoid seasickness? I have been told Seabands and Bonine OTC will help if I normally don’t get motion sickness. Any other recommendations or is this sound advice? You probably won't need anything (especially with all that ginger ale!) but Bonine is good to bring along just in case. Ships are very stable.

We booked the “eat when you want” option. Do I need to make reservations in the MDR for 2 before we leave to ensure I will be seated as 2 when I want? Or, can I show up to MDR and expect to be seated in 10-15 minutes? I can wait without an issue, I just don’t want to be told I have to wait 2 hours.

Can I use the mini-fridge in the room to store water, juice, etc, or is this “for purchase” items only?

I really am a space cadet here…what places can I eat on board without having to pay a cover charge besides the MDR? I understand Murano, Tuscan Grille, Silk Harvest and Bistro on 5 have covers. Are there other places I can eat and are they buffet, sit down, or “fast food”? No charge for buffet, pool grill, Aqua Spa cafe for breakfast and lunch. Those are not sit down in the sense that you get a menu and order from it. I really recommend Bistro on 5; best $5 you will spend!! And it is sit down service, excellent food.

Hope this helps!

Cathy

How early can we get room-service delivered? If we purchased a beverage package will we be charged for drinks in the room?

We drink water and ginger ale like fish! Based on my math I estimate that I would need to drink 7-8 “glasses” of something a day to break even. However, I am not sure when drinks are included vs. not included. I need OJ at breakfast, ginger ale at lunch and dinner and water all day. Will the package help me during breakfast, lunch and dinner or are they included?

Having never been on a ship, what precautions should I take to avoid seasickness? I have been told Seabands and Bonine OTC will help if I normally don’t get motion sickness. Any other recommendations or is this sound advice?

I really am a space cadet here…what places can I eat on board without having to pay a cover charge besides the MDR? I understand Murano, Tuscan Grille, Silk Harvest and Bistro on 5 have covers. Are there other places I can eat and are they buffet, sit down, or “fast food”?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Celebrity!

For room service, I think the earliest delivery time was 6:00 am or 6:30 am on our most recent cruise, but that could vary by itinerary to accommodate excursions.

Any juices that are available on the room service menu are included. This will include fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit juice and smoothies if you are in a Concierge Class or Aqua Class cabin. All mini bar items are at a cost, even if you have a drink package.

At the buffet, coffee, tea, and some fountain drinks such as breakfast juices (during breakfast hours), lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch and a guava drink are complimentary. Coffee, tea, and iced tea, as well as juices at breakfast are also complimentary in the dining room. Pop/soda/soft drinks, barrista coffees, bottled water and anything with alcohol is an additional charge.

Yes, a drink package will be useful at breakfast and lunch. It includes fresh squeezed juices, bottled water, pop/soda/soft drinks, barrista coffees, plus alcoholic drinks. On our last cruise I got the premium drink package, and it didn't take me long before I broke even. I would get a fresh squeezed juice or two at breakfast, bottles of water or sparkling water all day long, a latte or two each day, several cranberry with club sodas, and a glass of wine with lunch, a cocktail before dinner and wine with dinner. It was a 14 day cruise and I think I hit the cost of the package on about day 9.

For motion sickness I've never had a problem, but DH uses a Relief Band. It looks like a sport watch and goes on one wrist only (unlike sea bands, where you have to wear one on each wrist). An electronic pulse in a pressure point on your wrist equalizes your inner ear to combat motion sickness. DH swears by it!

I always take traditional dining, so can't comment on anytime dining.

For restaurants, the MDR, buffet, grill, and Aqua Spa cafe are all included. the Main dining room will be open for breakfast and dinner every day, but open for lunch only on sea days. It is sit-down table service. In the buffet you serve yourself and find a table. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, and will also have afternoon "snacks" like sushi, and an ice cream counter with fairly long hours. The grill is open for lunch and (I think) until about 5 or 6 pm. It is buffet style, and will have burgers, hot dogs, sausages, fries, onion rings, nachos, prepared salads, and self-serve soft-serve ice cream (actually yogurt).

The Aqua Spa cafe, in the solarium pool area, is buffet style and offers pre-made and made to order "healthy" options for breakfast and lunch only. It will have things like fresh fruit, yogurt parfaits, and egg white omelettes for breakfast, and chilled soups, salads, and grilled chicken or fish for lunch. It is not open for dinner.

Have a great cruise!

Steve, Cathy, etc., have given you lots of great info and background. Two months ago we did our first cruise with Celebrity and it was on the Solstice. As you can see from the live/blog postings linked below that I did as we sailed, I have shared lots and lots of pictures and details on ship life, your dining and entertainment options, etc. Here are a few quick reactions:

1. The ship is very stable and solid as it sails. Unless you are in very rough, open seas, things will be smooth and easy.

2. We did mostly just the free beverages on the ship and we liked the ice tea, fruit juices, etc. Lots of good options without spending the big money or needing to buy the costly packages.

3. Room service is very flexible. You can also grab certain things from the buffet, take back to your room, eat in a different area of the ship, etc. Lots and lots of food options on the ship.

Below are a few of my pictures on certain of the favorite places/features on the ship. This might give you some better ideas on many options and places to consider. Even though our mid-June sailing was full, the ship never seemed that crowded or busy. The ship lays-out well and is fair easy to navigate.

Keep thinking and planning. Don't be shy!! Ask any follow-up items. The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask.

For more details on the three speciality dining options, check:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434523&page=2

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 28,332 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

This is an overview for how the whole main part of the open, central MDR was taken over by the various stations of food, ice carving, treats, etc., for a special mid-day brunch on a sea day.:

SolsticeBuffetOverallTwoHigh.jpg

On the Solstice, here is a view of the outdoor pools as the sun is setting.:

SolsticeOutdoorPoolNight.jpg

Here is a sampling of the various buffet options in the Oceanview area. This is the fruit bar section.:

SolsticeOceanviewFruitBar.jpg

At the Oceanview buffet, here is the pizza offerings. In this same area, they also have various pasta options at both lunch and in the evening for dinner. Very good!! They also have sushi and many other options, plus the regular, expected buffet options.:

SolsticePizzaOceanviewCafe.jpg

This is a view of the library area on the tenth floor that overlooked the central, open core area of the ship. Not a great book selection here, but it is a nice looking area with a quiet reading hideaway.:

SolsticeLibraryView.jpg

Archived