Carnival Snorkel Excursions in Grand Turk...Any Reviews?????

jormot

Last year we did "Ultimate Snorkel" and thought it was great, so when we went back this year, we did it again. It was even better. This year we also did Gibbs Cay and Stingray. It was interesting, but I would rate it as okay. If we ever go back to Grand Turk, we will probably do "Ultimate Snorkel" again.

Here is a link to our photos. This is for all the cruising albums, just pick the "34th Anniversary, Cruise Pt1" and 35th Anniversary, Cruise Pt1" albums, they cover Grand Turk, with a fair amount of photos covering the snorkeling excursions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13678200@N07/collections/72157624605608081/

Below is my favorite part of "Ultimate Snorkel" (from this year's trip). Meet Harry the Barricuda. He very nicely swam around the boat the entire time we were there, pretty much ignoring everyone. The first picture was not telephoto, I was about 5' away. He is about 3 1/2 long, medium sized for a Cuda. Seeing him made the trip worth it, all by itself.

5975566997_08072ab3fa_b.jpg

P7120130 by WillieD13, on Flickr

5975568117_2cd33ff41b_b.jpg

P7120134 by WillieD13, on Flickr

Willie, excellent pictures we are thinking of doing the ultimate snorkel as well. Did you book through Carnival or another excursion agency?

Thanks

I always book through the ship, for 3 reasons: 1) If a cruise line lists an excursion, that means they have checked it out. If it didn't meet their standards for quality and safety, they wouldn't recommend it. 2) If, for whatever reason, your on an excursion that gets delayed beyond return to the ship time, the ship will hold off on sailing, or they may be held liable, since they are the ones who sold you the excursion (I'm sure someone will debate this point, but the cruise line cannot claim non-involvement). 3) If for some reason, your ship arrives late, or does not arrive at all, and you miss your excursion, you will get a full refund. If you book on your own, you may not get anything back.

I did the Carnival diving excursion in Grand Turk last Nov.

It was ok, usual cattle boat operation with 12 divers.

Water was clear, good visibility. Fish were abundant but not plentiful.

Operator did not provide sodas or fruit between dives, but water was available.

Would I do it again? My next cruise is in Nov and we are going to GT again. I am not diving.

I did the Carnival diving excursion in Grand Turk last Nov.

It was ok, usual cattle boat operation with 12 divers.

Water was clear, good visibility. Fish were abundant but not plentiful.

Operator did not provide sodas or fruit between dives, but water was available.

Would I do it again? My next cruise is in Nov and we are going to GT again. I am not diving.

Are you referring to the scuba diving excursion, or one of the snorkeling excursions, and if snorkeling, which one, there are several that Carnival lists. Also, why are you referring to it as a "cattle boat"? That is a rather denigrating way to refer to it, without substantiating your reason for feeling that way. 12 people does not sound like a lot, but then if you are referring to scuba rather than snorkel, I cannot speak as I don't scuba dive, and 12 may be too many for that. Please provide more details.

Are you referring to the scuba diving excursion, or one of the snorkeling excursions, and if snorkeling, which one, there are several that Carnival lists. Also, why are you referring to it as a "cattle boat"? That is a rather denigrating way to refer to it, without substantiating your reason for feeling that way. 12 people does not sound like a lot, but then if you are referring to scuba rather than snorkel, I cannot speak as I don't scuba dive, and 12 may be too many for that. Please provide more details.

I was referring to the scuba excursion. A "cattle boat" is used to describe a crowded boat, be it snorkeling or diving. 12 people does not include the crew, usually 3-4.

Grand Turk may be many things, but a premier diving or snorkeling destination it isn't.

I haven't been through the cruise ship but snorkeling in the Turks and Caicos is among the best I've been on and I've been to most of the Caribbean islands at this point. I'd highly recommend it - the water is calm, plenty of fish and coral to look at and they have these stunning parrot fish everywhere that you need to see, words don't do them justice! I'm jealous - I wish our cruise was going to the Turks!

I was referring to the scuba excursion. A "cattle boat" is used to describe a crowded boat, be it snorkeling or diving. 12 people does not include the crew, usually 3-4.

Grand Turk may be many things, but a premier diving or snorkeling destination it isn't.

Gliner,

Sorryto hear its a cattle boat, nI am booked on them for October, do you know who the operator was? Could cancel and look for something else, there is one highly recommended for the turks.

I hear you about not diving next visit there, I hear you hve to do it once, to me from the pictures, doesnt look like much, blue deep and dark, not much sps, lps, softies, nor reef fish.

My fsvorite is still hawaii, even over coz

Dan

DM Cantidate Padi

310 dives :D

Gliner,

Sorryto hear its a cattle boat, nI am booked on them for October, do you know who the operator was? Could cancel and look for something else, there is one highly recommended for the turks.

I hear you about not diving next visit there, I hear you hve to do it once, to me from the pictures, doesnt look like much, blue deep and dark, not much sps, lps, softies, nor reef fish.

My fsvorite is still hawaii, even over coz

Dan

DM Cantidate Padi

310 dives :D

Yeah, GT is not the best diving, that's for sure. Once is enough in my opinion. Not much of a reef there really. I have found that the eastern Caribbean is nothing compared to the western.

I don't remember the name of the operator, but they have a dive shop just down the beach from the dock. They also did not have sodas or fresh fruit for us between dives, just bottled water. After the dives, they stopped at their dive shop so that we could buy sodas and t-shirts if we wanted them. I opted to just walk back to the ship with some of the other divers.

Would I encourage others NOT to dive GT? No, but I will advise that the diving may not live up to their expectations if they are expecting Cozumel or Roatan like diving. We are booked on another cruise this Nov going back to GT. I won't be diving GT this time.

Gliner, you keep referring to one scuba excursion you went on. This thread was a request for info about Carnival SNORKELING excursions, not scuba. Yes, MOST excursions booked through any cruise line have a dozen or two people. That does not make them bad. I have been on 5 snorkeling excursions through Carnival (well 4, if you count my going on "Ultimate Snorkel" twice, as one excursion), and had a great time on all of them, including one that had 50+ people on it. Yes, there bigger groups on all of them, but so what, the ocean is pretty darn big, plenty of room for all. If the scuba excursions are not so good, okay, but please take your comments about scuba to a scuba thread, not a snorkeling thread; apples & oranges. :)

• 1 month later...
Last year we did "Ultimate Snorkel" and thought it was great, so when we went back this year, we did it again. It was even better. This year we also did Gibbs Cay and Stingray. It was interesting, but I would rate it as okay. If we ever go back to Grand Turk, we will probably do "Ultimate Snorkel" again.

Here is a link to our photos. This is for all the cruising albums, just pick the "34th Anniversary, Cruise Pt1" and 35th Anniversary, Cruise Pt1" albums, they cover Grand Turk, with a fair amount of photos covering the snorkeling excursions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13678200@N07/collections/72157624605608081/

Below is my favorite part of "Ultimate Snorkel" (from this year's trip). Meet Harry the Barricuda. He very nicely swam around the boat the entire time we were there, pretty much ignoring everyone. The first picture was not telephoto, I was about 5' away. He is about 3 1/2 long, medium sized for a Cuda. Seeing him made the trip worth it, all by itself.

5975566997_08072ab3fa_b.jpg

P7120130 by WillieD13, on Flickr

5975568117_2cd33ff41b_b.jpg

P7120134 by WillieD13, on Flickr

Where did they take you on the ultimate snorkel? My cruise does not offer this particular excusion (princess). They have one that goes to Horsehoe Reef and Round Cay - do you know if these are good spots?

Yeah, GT is not the best diving, that's for sure. Once is enough in my opinion. Not much of a reef there really. I have found that the eastern Caribbean is nothing compared to the western.

I don't remember the name of the operator, but they have a dive shop just down the beach from the dock. They also did not have sodas or fresh fruit for us between dives, just bottled water. After the dives, they stopped at their dive shop so that we could buy sodas and t-shirts if we wanted them. I opted to just walk back to the ship with some of the other divers.

Would I encourage others NOT to dive GT? No, but I will advise that the diving may not live up to their expectations if they are expecting Cozumel or Roatan like diving. We are booked on another cruise this Nov going back to GT. I won't be diving GT this time.

I'd say the same is true for snorkeling. Much of the W. Caribbean is world class.

That's not to say there aren't some excellent spots in the E. Caribbean. Buck Island at St Croix and Stuart's Cove trip at Nassau are two that come to mind. St John, as well, with an experienced boat guide.

Archived