A lot to do in New Orleans-how to organize

lilcruzr

There is so much we want to do in New Orleans...

I'm hoping someone can help me with a schedule as I have never been there. Our plane arrives on Saturday at 1:15 pm and we will be staying overnight pre-cruise at Drury Inn. We will be staying overnight (Sunday) post-cruise at Best Western Landmark. We will be allowed to leave our luggage there while we sight-see.

We want to ride the streetcar, go on a carraige ride, do a ghost or vampire tour, drink coffee and eat benets at Cafe Du Monde, eat at Mother's and go to the Riverwalk or French Market.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

There is so much we want to do in New Orleans...

I'm hoping someone can help me with a schedule as I have never been there. Our plane arrives on Saturday at 1:15 pm and we will be staying overnight pre-cruise at Drury Inn. We will be staying overnight (Sunday) post-cruise at Best Western Landmark. We will be allowed to leave our luggage there while we sight-see.

We want to ride the streetcar, go on a carraige ride, do a ghost or vampire tour, drink coffee and eat benets at Cafe Du Monde, eat at Mother's and go to the Riverwalk or French Market.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Are you staying at the Best Western Landmark on Rampart or the one in Metairie? I assuming it is the one on Rampart but just wanted to ask because they are not in the same area at all.

If you arrive at 1:15, you will probably be at the hotel and settle by 3:15 is you are on time, maybe even a bit earlier.

These are the things I think would be best to "lump together" because they are close enough to each other and you need to do the Ghost tour at night and it seems like you will only be in NOLA pre-cruise at night:

precruise - Go into the French Quarter (you can walk from the Drury but it may be alittle bit too far by foot so maybe a short taxi and have them drop you off in front of Jackson Square. This is where the carriage rides start. They will all be lined up. Walk up to one and get a price. After that carriage ride, you will be dropped of in the same spot. Cafe du Monde is literally a block away. Face the river and you will see it on the corner to your left. Then, do the Ghost tour (usually starts a night) which will probably start right in this area around Jackson Square.

Post Cruise - If it is the Landmark on Rampart, I would suggest a taxi to Mothers for breakfast. Rampart is not a street where you would want to hang out. I am not saying it is dangerous but it is not where the main action is. It is not in the heart of the French Quarter but on the very edge. After, maybe the Riverwalk because it is the closer option but really, inside, it is like a shopping mall. The French Market is much better but hot because it is outside but shaded. But it is on the other end of the French Quarter. You could take the street car that runs long the river but this street car is jsut a mode of transportation. What you really want, is the St. Charles Street Car. You can catch it on Canal Street (a short walk from Mothers) then get off at the end of Canal and get on the St. Charles car. St. Charles is stunning withe trees and mansions. If you don;t get to eat at Mothers, then eat atCameillia Grills, almost as famous as MOther's - http://www.camelliagrill.net/home.htm

It will be hard to do everything on your list but I would suggest using Google maps to see where everything is. That is the best way I could think of to "lump" it into sections. Have fun

Cafe du Monde is open 24 hours a day, so if you have trouble fitting it in at a certain point, you can always fit it in somewhere else in your schedule. They also have a takeout counter, so you could always stop there before going to the ship or back to the airport.

Drury is easy to walk to Brothers, only a couple short blocks away. We checked in and went there for a early dinner.

Then walked thru the French Qtr. I think it was a easy walk from Drury myself. Maybe the person suggesting a taxi isnt as much of a walker.

The street car runs right by Drury, but by the time you check in, not sure how late it runs into the night.

Brothers is the closest restaurant pretty much to Drury... just walk down the street toward the pier. The front desk will point you in the right direction.

We are staying at the Drury 2 night pre-cruise too and have lots of the same ideas. Thanks for asking and everyone for answering.

I was also wondering if there is a place close to the hotel or cruise port a cath placement where we can stop and get some soda and such for the cruise. And does anyone know if Diet Pepsi or Dt. Moutian Dew are easy to come by. We had a hella of a time finding Dt. Dew in Cali. so now I am all worried

• 2 weeks later...

From the Drury, it is about a 20 minute walk to the center of the French Quarter (to Jackson Square). The Drury is on Poydras, which is 5 city blocks to Canal Street. Canal Street is a main street that the street car runs down. It marks the border to the French Quarter.

Mt dew and diet Pepsi should not be hard to find. I see them all of the time in the grocery stores. There are little stores here and there around that area (but not major grocery stores so the prices might be a bit higher). Just ask the hotel which store is closest to your hotel

If you wish to there is a walmart about 3miles from your hotel, short taxi ride and you will find what you need it's a superwalmart. There is a couple of little stores around the hotel but very high priced. You have to go to Central grocery 923 Decatur Street and try the muffuletta (best sandwich you ever had)

lens4969522_1243883753muffuletta.jpg problem is there are so many places to eat at, and every one of us that lives here will have a different place that we think is the best. Just come on down pick a place and chances or you will have a great meal. Hope ya'll have a great time in the city and a great cruise:)

Archived