What to do in Lahaina?

Cruisin Bee

I need some advice. We are cruising to Hawaii in May. We will be spending one day in Lahaina and one day in Kahalui. On advice of this board, we decided to book a tour when we are in Kahalui and do beachy things when we are in Lahaina. That being said, How difficult is it to get somewhere worth going once off the tender boat in Lahaina? We heard Kaanapali Beach is impressive for snorkeling. Can we get there by taxi or do we need to rent a car. Are there any other must see things in Lahaina?

We are going to the IAO needle and the Plantation from Kahalui.

Thanks for all your help.

I hope you will post your opinion of the area when you return. We are booking a land vacation for Sept there. I wish it was a cruise but work & vacation schedules are preventing us from cruising. Right now, we are planning on staying at either Hyatt or Grand Wailea. Really doesn't matter to me....just get me to Hawaii. :D Hopefully the next time I will get to cruise all the islands.

We were there (Lahaina) earlier this month. You can get to Kaanapali either by taxi, public bus, or free shuttle. It is only 5-10 minutes from the pier where the tender boats dock.

Gary

Stroll the boardwalk, window shop....or more.....get a cup of 100% Kona Coffee and sit under the banyan tree at dusk when the birds return with a loud chorus.

We didnt have a ton of time, so we took our time and didnt do anything specific...but it was the best hour and 1/2 of the day.

Snorkel at Black Rock on Kaanapali Beach. It is in back of the Sheraton. That is supposed to be the best snorkeling on the island. Your taxi can drop you at Whaler's Village and then it is a short stroll up the bach.

If you can afford to do this. While in Kahului, take a helicoptor tour. We just did that a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. Pricey, but worth it. The heliport is right there in Kahului.

Stroll the boardwalk, window shop....or more.....get a cup of 100% Kona Coffee and sit under the banyan tree at dusk when the birds return with a loud chorus.

I wouldn't want to get COMPLETELY under the birds when they roost in the banyan

tree! Could get messy.

Another thing to consider in Lahaina is to visit the many art

galleries. You may not be able to afford the art works (we

certainly can't), but it is fun to look at the merchandise and

people-watch.

Thanks for all the tips. We are staying at Hyatt and plan on renting a car so we can see the whole island. We are planning on doing Luau at the Hyatt to celebrate b/f's bday. We have gotten good reviews so far. Anybody use done this luau?

Thanks for all the tips. We are staying at Hyatt and plan on renting a car so we can see the whole island. We are planning on doing Luau at the Hyatt to celebrate b/f's bday. We have gotten good reviews so far. Anybody use done this luau?

My wife and stayed at the Hyatt for a week in January,the lobby and the grounds are great lot of walkways thru the gardens,lobby had a lot of small shops and a few big ones(Macys).The pool area was fairly large with a nice what they call a lava slide,and a swim up bar,one side had sand around the pool and sand bottom.Rooms were good size and keep well cleaned.As for the Luau it was good all you can eat buffet style,the show was real good but we did miss the end due to rain.As we have been to other Luaus' I think they are all simillar we still enjoyed it a lot.There were three restaurants at the Hyatt they were all good we did the downstairs Italian two nights,also the is a Outback steak house about 4 miles North of the Hyatt in a little shopping center there was also was another restaurant in there but can't remember the name.If you have any other questions I'll try to help.

Ron&Suzanne

the restaurant(s) in the Kahana shopping center with the Outback are Roy's Nicolina and Roy's Kahana Bar & Grill, part of the famous Roy's Restaurant empire. :) Fantastic food and very representative of Hawaiian Regional Cuisine. Recommended.

Spleen

the restaurant(s) in the Kahana shopping center with the Outback are Roy's Nicolina and Roy's Kahana Bar & Grill, part of the famous Roy's Restaurant empire. :) Fantastic food and very representative of Hawaiian Regional Cuisine. Recommended.

Spleen

Spleen

Thats the one I was trying to remember Roy's Kahana Bar & Grill great place,great food.Spleen Ewa Beach is that up around were the blow hole is located?What great views in that area,driving that road across there well it's a trip.

Thanks Ron

Ron - nope, that's the Sandy Beach area that you're thinking of. Where I live, despite the name, the beaches are nothing to talk about - good enough for locals to hang out on but nothing spectacular. But the road past Hawaii Kai going around the Blowhole and Sandy Beach is spectacular. A lot of Magnum PI driving shots taken around that area. :)

Spleen

Go to the Maui Theatre and see the show Ulalena. It's the story of how the Hawaiian people first came to inhabit the islands, and the struggles which eventually led to all the islands being united under one ruler. It's really a great show and well worth the money.

Here's a link to the Website: http://www.mauitheatre.com/

Enjoy :)

Spleen is just slightly out of date about the Roy's in the mall at Kahana. They closed half the restaurant (the Nicolina side) and there's a new place there called Reilly's. Very good food and service, if a bit pricey. From personal experience at both in February, Roy's was very noisy (it was in Kauai too:confused: ) but Reilly's was much more subdued. Food is great in both.

daWoods - thanks for the update. Didn't know about the Nicolina closure (but that explains why it didn't come up when I looked up the Maui Roy's restaurants on their website).

Roy's is always noisy. I always joke with my wife that it's about as loud as a Chinese restaurant. That's a constant across all their restaurants. :)

Spleen

So, if we are spending the day at Kaanapali Beach all day in Maui.... is there a place in Whaler's Village or nearby that we just MUST eat lunch at? We plan to spend the day at the beach and browse in that area and then back in Lahaina later in the afternoon. We are the type that love to try local food... but we will have our 11 year old with us, so a place that also has normal kid food would be good. Any must do's at Kaanapali? We won't have a car, we are taking the shuttle from Lahaina.

Hula Grill is in Whaler's Village - they have their Barefoot Bar which sounds like it'd be perfect to go to in beachwear. I've never been here before but I've eaten at chef Peter Merriman's restaurants before and he's pretty good so I figure the food here should be pretty good as well.

Check here for menus.

Spleen

Thanks Spleen!! Have we mentioned how helpful you are!? I have added their website to my collection of favorites under Maui!!! I just wish I could find a way to make the time go by faster! You must love living in Paradise!

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents....

While sipping lava flows at the Barefoot Bar at Duke's in Waikiki, the table next to us had a slice of hula pie delivered. From that moment, I coveted it.

When we arrived in Lahaina, after our whale watch trip (which, by the way, was a huge let-down, since almost all the whales have departed for Alaska as of the end of March, and we didn't even see any dolphins after the trip before us reported seeing "a million" of them), we headed to Kimo's on the advice of a friend. Since Kimo's and Duke's are both the same company, they had the coveted Hula Pie, which we made sure to save room for. Let me tell you, the combination of the Hula Pie and the sensational view from Kimo's patio ALMOST wiped away the disappointment of the whale un-watch.

My recommendation...MAKE THE EFFORT TO ORDER THIS SLICE OF HEAVEN, which you will be able to at Hula Grill, since it's in the same family of restaurants as Kimo's, Leilani's on the Beach (also at Whaler's Village), and Duke's.

Devonne

The Hula Grill at Whaler's Village would be a great place for lunch with kids - we've only been there for dinner with our kids but they loved it both times. The outside area has a sand floor and is open, so don't forget the sunscreen. Food nice (cheaper at lunch... remember that when Maui'ing on a budget - it's that way almost everywhere), views wonderful.

BTW, if I had a day from Lahaina and wanted to do the beach thing, this would be my itinerary: Rent a car, and drive about 10 miles north to Napili and Kapalua Bays. Both are routinely designated as some of the best beaches in the US. They're terrific, with easy access. The latter has showers and restrooms. Spend an hour or so at one, then the other. (Even better snorkeling is in Honokeana Cove, the next bay south of Napili - you can easily walk there around the grounds of Napili Shores resort... it's a rocky entrance, but very easy to manage.) I'd then drive a bit around Kalapana and beyond, then back to Kaanapali for lunch at Hula Grill (I believe the parking at the multi-level lot is validated by Hula Grill.) After that, go back to your car and get your beach/snorkel things, walk back and enjoy Kaanapali Beach and Black Rock. After that, back to Lahaina for lounging, shopping, browsing in a really cool town.

(I wanna be there NOW)

Devonne,

You must have missed the whales when we pulled into Maui. Our friends who were in 7150 saw them as the ship was pulling into port. We slept through it but I got to see them the following AM as I was awake for the sunrise. I saw the mother and baby then. Which whale tour did you do? We did the one through the ship and saw some but not a lot. We had seen the splash in the distance but missed the whales breaching the water.

Don't feel bad. I missed doing the Haleakala sunrise tour (on our own.) It's going to give me more reason to go back to Maui.

What's in the Hula Pie? Spill! you've got my curiousity up! And the lava flows were definitely to die for!

Anita

Archived