Which Ruin in Belize?

cruzinmamaTN

I know this is a common question, and I've searched until my eyes are crossed.. but I wanted to get opinions in a compiled thread, if possible...

We are in our 30's, very active and going on the 7 day Western Carnival Legend 8/28.

I"m trying to determine which "ruins" experience would be best for us...

We don't mind a jungle trek, and would like to be able to climb the ruins, and if possible, see more than one structure.

Transportation to/from is the only concern.. we want to spend as much time at the site as possible, or in an activity "getting there" i.e. jungle trek or boat ride.. not just riding a bus... it seems no matter which we choose, we can expect at least 1 hour transport, correct?

We are confident travelers and can easily choose a "non-ship" excursion, for a more "full" experience.

I'm leaning towards Lamani via BelizeCruiseExcursions.com.... but there is also Altun Ha and Xunantunich.

We've never seen a Mayan Ruin, and it's likely we won't be back to these particular ports soon (going to Southern Carribeean next)..

So... We will be there 8am to 5pm Ship time.. active... and want to SEE the MOST... activity level not an issue... what would you suggest??

Thanks in advance for all your help... we simply COULD NOT cruise without the help of CC folks (well, we COULD.. but not WELL :) )

First, until November 6th, Belize is 2 hours behind US Eastern Daylight time. Also, keep in mind, Belize is a tender port. It might be 45 minutes to and hour after anchor before you reach the pier at the Tourism Village where excursions pick you up. Then the last tender time will probably be 4PM or 4:15PM ship time, which could mean 2:15 PM Belize.

That said, read the reports again on these boards. The BCE excursion have a decent rep and many folks like Lamanai, but it is a long trek, and if there are delays, you will find your time limited as BCE will do their utmost to get you back to the pier before your last tender. Xunantunich is a long bus ride, but you will have plenty of time to climb tall temples and see great vistas. Altun Ha via River Wallace can be very hot in August. But for a shorter tour total time wise it is very scenic and a good ruins tour. Plus you will have time to shop and grab a Belkin at Wet Lizard or the little bar on the waterside of pier in front of WL.

I would do Lamanai in a second with Carnival but they don't offer it as an excursion. We have done Xunantunich and may do that again. The bus ride doesn't seem that long going there....but then again, you are excited. On the way back after lunch - you are exhausted ;).

I've done Altun Ha and Lamanai. I would highly recommend Lamani. I never book excursions through the ship but for this one I did. The time constraint had me a bit worried.

It was a larger tour group this way than what I'm used to. They used a large tour bus to get us to the river. AC broke on the way back and we had some pretty upset people voicing their concerns loudly.

Boat trip is fun. They go pretty fast for most of it but do stop a few times to show you interesting things. Sunglasses help with the wind in your face.

The ruins themselves were wonderful. It's in the middle of the jungle and there were howler monkeys in the trees. You can climb to the top of the main temple and the views are amazing.

I've done a lot of Mayan ruins and these stood out for me because of the large masks on one and because of the ability to see how the "housing" was laid out around the temple.

It was a wonderful day for us but there were some complaints from people around us:

-the boat ride wasn't what they planned. They expected a slower ride with more stops to view things.

-the AC breaking on the bus.

A young couple brought a toddler (around 2 years old). They were the biggest complainers in the group and ironically they caused the only thing that disappointed me about the entire day. The baby fussed and cried and talked and they talked loudly to her the entire time. It made it impossible to hear our guide. I'm a nerd and I love all the information so this was very frustrating for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived