confused from too much reading...bermuda excursions

sccoast

leaving in about 10days for Bermuda, arrive Sat. at 4pm - assuming there will be a mass exodus to get off the ship, was planning to just walk around the port area, whatever shops are open and if sunset allows, to Sea Glass Beach and back. Sunday we leave port at 4pm so must be back on ship at 3:30. really would like to see the island but do not want to spend five hours on a bus tour at $99 per person. have contacted a few taxi drivers to do a shorter 3-4 hr tour but they want to leave us off in Hamilton to take the Ferry back. ideally would like to see the island and stop at Horseshoe Beach and still make it back to the ship on time. was originally just planning to get a bus/ferry ticket (purchase on sat. since i read not all places to purchase are open on sunday) and just ride in a loop more or less and take any photos from the bus. try to stop at Horsehoe but was then warned that the bus only stops every hour, can be crowded and could miss the ship. Am i trying to see too much in too little time? if you have been there do you have a suggestion for how to see it all and still get some beach time? someone told my daughter we must stop at Horseshoe for a 'dark and stormy' - do they actually sell this on the beach?

is Swizzle Inn within walking distance to the beach? are the buses really that crowded on the weekend so we shouldn't take our chances with getting on? seems a little crazy to have barely 24hr in port with reduced schedules, closed shops, and just not enough time to see it all.

if you have been there what do you suggest? one post in a thread says just buy the bus ticket and the next says don't, its a weekend schedule. so confused....

The route #7 bus that is used to go to Horseshoe Bay and return to the Dockyard runs every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour from the Hamilton bus terminal on Sunday.

Yes that bus can be crowded because of all the cruise ship passengers waiting for the last minute to leave HSB. Just go early and leave early. I believe the capacity of the bus to be 38 passengers.

If you took an early taxi tour, you could have the drive let you off at the Hamilton bus station where you could take a route #7 bus to HSB. In fact, the bus you would be riding on passes the new Swizzle Inn en route to HSB. The distance form HSB to SI is about 2.5 miles.

As I reread what you want to do, I honestly believe you are trying to do too much. Some tough decisions will have to be made in selecting the must dos.

As for transportation passes, it all depends on how many times you would be using the bus and ferry. A one day pass costs $12.00; an all zone token costs $4.00.

SBtS

Archived