Videotaping an excursion

spocruiser

Posted a variation of this on the general "ask a cruise question" board with no replies to date, so I thought I would ask here...

1) Any restrictions on use of a private video cameras where the excursion (Captain Bryan's Sting Ray/etc.) has a videographer shooting a video that they sell to the the patrons?

2) Any problems with putting the camera somewhere "safe" while snorkeling?

3) Is it just too much of a hassle and best to leave the filming to the tour operators?

4) How is the quality of the excursion shot vieo?

Thanks to all the individuals whose posts on various topics have made our upcoming trip so much better before it has even begun!

We went on the ship's tour (Princess) to "swim with the stingrays." When we arrived, there were a number of other boats there, from other tour operators. We are pretty protective of our video equipment and felt fine leaving it on the boat while we swam (It was in the camera bag, under a seat). The water was a little rough that day and with me being only 5' and not really able to swim well....I eventually started feeling a bit sea-sick. So I got back on the boat, got out the camcorder and started filming everyone else. Was I glad (and them too) that I did... as watching it again really brings back the moment (more so than a photograph IMHO).

I don't recall our tour offering a video but they did offer still photos (we got ours on diskette and it came with the "license" so you could reproduce/print). The still photos we bought were excellent in composition and quality. I know I could not have done as well with my own still camera. They catch one of those big stingrays and you (and your family) "pose" with it.

I didn't see anything restricting use of a video camera. I felt it was very worthwhile. However, I was also very happy that our tour operator offered such high quality still photos.

Rosej;

Thanks for your comments. Been reading the posts for months as we prepare for our first cruise. Had not seen much talk about video cameras and really didn't want to carry ours on excursions if there were any limitations.

Although this doesn't apply to this port, I thought I'd mention it anyway. In Mexico, if you go to some of the ruin sites (like Tulum)...they do charge a fee for you to bring in your video camera. Seems like it was around $5. They don't charge anything for still cameras though.

We were on the Navigator of the Seas a couple of weeks ago, and did the "Cockatoo" Catamaran - Stingray City tour. Consequently, this was our third time on that excursion... the crew and boat are fabulous!

This was the first year, however, that they had a videographer aboard. We did not even take our video camera on this cruise, so chose to buy the video. We were very impressed with it -- it arrived by mail this week. The quality was fabulous -- much better than we could have done, for sure! But, given the $55 fee, you would have to weigh the pros/cons yourself. (The videographer took many shots of our son, which is why we chose to go ahead and purchase it...)

I realize that this isn't the tour you are on, but if it is any indication of what would be offered on yours, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Hope this helps! If it is your first time to stingray city... enjoy -- I am certain you will be back for more in the future! It is an amazing adventure!

Archived