Starboard or port side for Southbound Alaska

mattyboy

When we did the northbound, we chose the starboard side, because you could see land on that side, even outside of the Inside Passage. So for southbound, I would chose port. When you are in the Inside Passage, though, there will be things to see on both sides, so, truthfully, either side would be fine for much of the cruise.

A lot of the Inside Passage has scenery on both sides. Ships really don't sail "coastal" so you can also be miles out in open areas.

More important perhaps- is IF you ONLY want Glacier Bay viewing from your balcony?? If that is your itinerary? If so, then you want a port side.

I agree with Budget Queen. It doesn't matter which side you're as you're going in and out of hundreds of Islands. Also, we found the best way to experience the view was not from an individual balcony but from the top or aft deck. But we were lucky, our trip had almost zero precipitation and lots of sun.

I'm just off of Coral Princess from Whittier to Vancouver. We had a Starboard side balcony cabin, and I can't honestly say we missed anything by being there.

You might THINK that the leg from Whittier/Seward to Hubbard would be more scenic on the Port side. But in reality, the ship was so far from shore that it was impossible to see land anyway. And when you are at the glaciers (Hubbard, Glacier Bay), they take great care to make sure both sides get a view. And finally, in the protected waters along the inside passage, there's probably as much to see on Starboard as on Port.

In other words, don't sweat the decision. It won't make or break your cruise.

The port side makes it easier to watch each docking if that interests you. I think the scenery is about the same while sailing.

When at Hubbard, College Fjord or Glacier Bay please go to the front of the ship somewhere and stay there until they begin to turn the ship. Then go to the side with the view. Spend as much time looking at the glaciers as you can. Bundle up if needed. The longer you watch the more you see.

The back of the ship for port sail always is always nice.

The port side makes it easier to watch each docking if that interests you. I think the scenery is about the same while sailing.

When at Hubbard, College Fjord or Glacier Bay please go to the front of the ship somewhere and stay there until they begin to turn the ship. Then go to the side with the view. Spend as much time looking at the glaciers as you can. Bundle up if needed. The longer you watch the more you see.

The back of the ship for port sail always is always nice.

How true and the rewards can be spectacular!! I was focusing on Marjorie Glacier because it had 3 spires that looked very "artsy" and just as I started to press the shutter I heard a loud crack and a huge chunk fell off. Needless to say that's the picture I hung on the wall!! If you're southbound you'll have to get up early for College fjord and that's where your balcony will pay for itself....I was in my jammies and taking wonderful photos of one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I just wish I had a map of all the glaciers so I could put their names to the pictures, it's hard to match them up using google and my pix!:D

We were on the Coral Princess in mid-July. Northbound trip- starboard balcony. For those early morning or late night viewings it's wonderful to have a balcony. We saw humpback whales early, early one morning - 4:40a.m. If we hadn't had a balcony we would have missed that terrific show. Not sure if the port side people also saw the whales. During the day we went to the "secret" forward viewing areas. Not so secret anymore- they even delivered hot drinks out on that deck (for a price of course).

Enjoy your balcony whichever side you're on and when you get up for bathroom breaks in the night- go out on the balcony and watch for wildlife. In mid-July it was only "dark" for a very short time, so you could see wildlife easily.:)

• 6 years later...
We are going northbound next year and did research which said that starboard is better going north so I guess port would be better going south. :)

Hi Tenn4ever, just trawling Cruise Critic. I have just booked a Celeb Millennium Seward to Vancouver next Sept. I could only get a Concierge Class cabin on Level 6 on the Port Side, but I can still get a Sky Suite on the Starboard side, in the middle of the boat as well. Considering getting my agent to swap/move me up the grade, but it means swapping boat sides and I am worried about what I will see on the Starboard side heading to Vancouver???? Comments??? Getting excited already. Thanks.