Thames Dinner Cruise: Guy Fawkes Day/Bonfire Day 2011?

hwfiv

I will be visiting London (prior to a crossing on the QM2), and will be there on November 5th, which I've been told is quite a festive and wonderful night with huge fireworks displays, etc.

I'd LOVE to be out on a dinner cruise on the Thames to see the fireworks, and the company "Thames Dinner Cruise" has a glass enclosed boat that says that they're plan for that night is their regular dinner cruise and then stopping the "best place" to view the fireworks.

I also see you have a Bateau London - we also have a Bateau boat here in New York City, and although I can't vouch for the food - it is a wonderful way to see the city skyline.

Perhaps Bateau is the better choice?

Or are there other choices? I prefer something more upscale, and a little less full of rowdy drunken rugby player types (not that there's anything wrong with drunken rugby players, of course).

I also love sailboats - and here in New York City we also have some wonderful options for upscale harbor tours on classic sailboats.

Would LOVE an insider's guide to best choices for Bonfire Night dinner cruise.

Thanks!

I can't speak for any special Guy Fawkes trips but I have done the Bateaux several times and it's very nice. Maybe email them and see if they stop anywhere to view fireworks?

I can't say I've had any drunken rugby players on there either ;)

I e-mailed Bateaux, and they said that they didn't have anything specific planned for celebrating Guy Fawkes Day, but that from their position on the Thames, they were sure we get the best view. The other company "Thames Dinner Cruise", has a "Bonfire Night Cruise", during which they'll have a small buffet and state that they'll moor in the "best place to see the Battersea Fireworks", but they also have their regular dinner cruise that night available as well, so I'm guessing their Bonfire Night cruise is not in their glass enclosed boat, but in one of the other regular boats that they have pictured on their website. I don't know if that means a different place for viewing the fireworks if you're on the glass boat or not, as they don't have any specific.

Glad to get your feedback! I'm hoping to avoid choosing one, and then on the day, finding out that the other did a better job, or was viewing from a better place...

Hi

Just to let you know, its generally referred to a Bonfire Night, rather than Guy Fawkes Day. Generally, people get together in their local parks around a large bonfire and then watch the fireworks. In London there could be many many places holding such shows, not necessarily one specific place. If your boat is passing Battersea Park I would guess they would have a good show but I'm not sure how much you'll actually sea, it would depend where in the park they are setting off the fireworks. Most festitivies don't centre around the River Thames. Unlike at New Year when there is a HUGE display right on the Thames.

That's all very helpful! Thanks! And I'll be sure to start calling it by it's proper name: Bonfire Night!

As I do more research, it seems that the "Thames Dinner Cruise" company sends out a specific boat at 6:30 to moor near Battersea Park. Their regular dinner cruise, which I now realize is the same as Bateaux (they must be a booking agent, as they list "their boat" as being called "the Symphony", which is the name of the Bateaux boat), goes out at 8, which is the time designated to start the fireworks at Battersea Park. So I'm guessing it's not their glass covered boat that will be going down there for the fireworks.

According to the website, the full dinner cruise goes by all of the famous landmarks (Parliament, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, etc.), which all seem to be in the opposite direction of Battersea Park from the docks where the boats leave from. So I'm guessing that the full dinner cruise in the glass boat will be leaving the pier and going off in the opposite direction on the Thames, leaving the fireworks behind.

Two questions:

1) I think I'm more inclined to take the Symphony/Full dinner cruise, so that I can see all of the famous sites on the Thames at night from inside the glass covered boat. Am I likely to be able to see perhaps the top of the fireworks, or the fireworks in the distance as we round the bend on the Thames, leaving Embankment Pier going towards Tower Bridge? It's not like I've never seen great fireworks before, but on the other hand, I've never seen the famous sites of London from the Thames at night. So that may win out. Just curious if there's a chance, as a perk, that I might also see some of the fireworks.

2) Regarding Bateaux pricing: They have a VERY high priced ticket that guarantees a window seat (125 pounds). I'm traveling alone. Not sure where they'll put me if I get a regular standard ticket for 75 pounds. But is it worth the extra money for that premium ticket? Or can you get up and go to the window and take pictures if there are things you'd like to get a better view of? It seems from the pictures that it's fully enclosed in glass, so doesn't everyone get a view, no matter where you're sitting? Or are there so many people between you and the window (when seated at the cheap seats), that you'd be sorry that you didn't plunk down the extra $$ for a guaranteed window?

Thanks for your help!

Just tossing this out there....if its dark enough to see fireworks, how are you going to see the buildings? I know the houses of parliament are lit but honestly are you really getting a good viewing? What if its a foggy night, you've spent an awful lot of money to look at not much.

Just tossing this out there....if its dark enough to see fireworks, how are you going to see the buildings? I know the houses of parliament are lit but honestly are you really getting a good viewing? What if its a foggy night, you've spent an awful lot of money to look at not much.

We do have street lights here in London you know!! It will not be so dark that you can't see anything. The view of London from the River at night is absolutely wonderful. Many of the buildings and bridges are lit.

As regards fog, while possible, its extremely unlikely. The days of foggy London town are long gone.

I can't help regarding the boat as I've never done the enclosed type but if you can afford it I would say get a window seat, you won't be disappointed. Then you can eat your dinner in leisure watching all the wonderful sites and buildings as you pass by.

Archived