Is the Blue Lagoon really the same one from the 80's movie?

browneyedwoman

I read that there are excursions to the Blue Lagoon area. Is this from the Freeport, Bahamas port? Is this really where they filmed the original movie from the 1980's and can you still see anything set wise that was in the movie? I used to used to have a copy of the movie and I always thought the beach was gorgeous. I'd love to see the same backdrop with my own eyes. Would I recognize anything? I don't swim so I wouldn't be interested in snorkling. Do they have lounge chairs and drink sevice there?

I read that there are excursions to the Blue Lagoon area. Is this from the Freeport, Bahamas port? Is this really where they filmed the original movie from the 1980's and can you still see anything set wise that was in the movie? I used to used to have a copy of the movie and I always thought the beach was gorgeous. I'd love to see the same backdrop with my own eyes. Would I recognize anything? I don't swim so I wouldn't be interested in snorkling. Do they have lounge chairs and drink sevice there?

Sections of the movies were filmed on this location. Other locations as well. It is a gorgeous lagoon and the back of the island is open seas..

I doubt you would recognize a thing.. it was completely destroyed by a hurricane a decade or so back and has been rebuilt.

Hammocks, lounge chairs available. Drinks can be purchased from the bar. There is no beachside or chairside service.

It is from the Nassau, Bahamas port, not Freeport...

You can purchase a beach day there and get lunch included and they do have a bar...it is beautiful, not really like the movie anymore, actually maybe better...the water is so blue and clear there.

The 80s movie 'Blue Lagoon' was filmed on an island in the Yasawa chain of Fiji; it's a resort now know as Turtle Island. We've been there and seen all the photos of the stars on the island and talked to staff who were there during filming.

There are lots of places in the tropics that call themselves the Blue Lagoon.

The 80s movie 'Blue Lagoon' was filmed on an island in the Yasawa chain of Fiji; it's a resort now know as Turtle Island. We've been there and seen all the photos of the stars on the island and talked to staff who were there during filming.

Depends on who you talk to and what you read. Although Fiji is the main location for filming, jamaica, bahamas and other caribbean island were used for scenes in this movie.

I have a friend at the bahamas film commission who has archive photos of the "blue lagoon crew" off the coast of this and other island in the bahamas chain.

Always fun to see, the water scenes are still gorgeous. Regardless.

Thanks. That would be embarassing to ask the cab drivers to drive to something that's not in their area. I would have liked to have seen it. The water looked so beautiful in the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing Half Moon Cay because it looks just as nice.

You can't take a taxi to Blue Lagoon. It's a private island which is reached by a 30-minute ferry ride. You have to purchase a day pass or excursion to take the ferry.

The water in the Bahamas is just gorgeous. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We will now be going to Nassau on our cruise due to the hurricane. Is the blue lagoon close to the Nassau port? How would you get there? DO you need to take a ferry from Nasssau too? I would rather get there on our own instead of being herded like cattle with the cruise ship.

I agree with you. Here is what Wikipedia says about the location:

"The film was shot in Jamaica and Nanuya Levu, a privately-owned island in Fiji, whilst the blue lagoon scenes were shot in Champagne Bay, Vanuatu. . . ."

The movie essentially takes place in the South Pacific and Fiji was the best place for the production. The Bahamas were not mentioned at all. If there were any segments that were filmed in/near Nassau they must have been an after-thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blue_Lagoon_(1980_film)

There was a sequel and maybe some of that was shot in the Bahamas. But I still doubt that the island in the Bahamas named 'Blue Lagoon' had anything to do with this.

BTW there is a four day cruise in Fiji that takes you to several islands. It is also called 'the Blue Lagoon' cruise.

We will now be going to Nassau on our cruise due to the hurricane. Is the blue lagoon close to the Nassau port? How would you get there? DO you need to take a ferry from Nasssau too? I would rather get there on our own instead of being herded like cattle with the cruise ship.

You can get answers to your questions from the Blue Lagoon website: http://www.dolphinencounters.com/island-all.php

You can usually book a day pass directly through Blue Lagoon without having to go through the cruise line. Check with them about the dates. I believe the day pass is not available every day.

To get to Blue Lagoon on your own, you'll need to take a cab over to Paradise Island to the ferry terminal. From there, it's a 30-minute ferry ride to Blue Lagoon.

Be aware that to make a reservation, you'll need to fax them your credit card information. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with this. We did it 2 years ago and had no problems. Blue Lagoon is a beautiful place.

If the post was about Labadee, it probably got moved over to the forum for Private Islands.

Try here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

THANK YOU! you wold think CC would let us know what we did wrong and direct us to where we were supposed to post.

I appreciate your effort to let me know. :D

Archived