April 2012

branchwater

I want to get a cruise deal for 9 family members to the Caribbean next April. Lots of special events to celebrate. 5 have never cruised before, so I really want this to be a great experience so that they will want to cruise again. I have a TA but I have seen other great deals online. Do you have any advice? We would really like to make this a gift to our family, but we do have a budget to stick to.

I do not mean to insult your intelligence but the best advice is to start with your budget, how much have you allowed for the entire vacation door-to-door, and work backwards.

Are you driving, flying, taking the train? Do you need pre- or post-cruise hotels?

Are you going to do a lot of sightseeing, souveneir buying, gambling, drinking, or dining in alternative restaurants on the ship? What kind of sightseeing do you expect? Active, beaches, laid back, shopping?

Once you back up your budget from this, you'll see how much you can afford for the cruise.

Remember that April is a peak travel time for Spring Break and Easter so prices are not likely to drop.

Does everyone want to do Celebrity? Maybe some prefer RCI or Princess? Show them pictures of the various ships interiors and see which they prefer. Will Celebrity's (and now Princess's) more stricter smoking policy be an issue?

Maybe your budget allows a 7-night cruise or longer. Maybe it will allow a shorter 4- or 5- night cruise. Or maybe a shorter cruise and a few days in Walt Disney World?

What do you consider a 'great deal' for a busy travel season; $1000 per person, more, less? What type of staterooms will you want? All quads, balconies, suites, cheapest insides?

Lots of questions you have to answer, and ask of your group. Get their input as well. Do they want a Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, or Southern Caribbean? Where do they want to go? What do they want to do while on the cruise?

And unless you are paying for the whole thing and giving everyone else carte blanche spending, some of the others may have their own budgets, or have a proposed budget for onboard and various other expenditures.*

Good luck! :)

Archived