How to book a family of 5 with young children

Astro

We're hoping someone on the boards may have experience with booking for a family of 5 with young children. Ours will be 2, 4, & 6 at the time of the cruise we're hoping to book. Since most Princess cabins only fit up to 4 people we are considering booking two cabins; one a mini-suite with 3 people and book an inside accross the hallway with 2 people. Our problem is that with the ages of our kids we would not have them sleep in a cabin on their own so we are thinking of having all 5 of us acually sleep in the mini as long as we book one with the bunk bed and sofa bed configuration. Does anyone know if they will not allow us to do this? Currently there is a mini suite with this configuration and an inside accross that are available for the cruise we'd like to do. Anyone ever done this?

We're hoping someone on the boards may have experience with booking for a family of 5 with young children. Ours will be 2, 4, & 6 at the time of the cruise we're hoping to book. Since most Princess cabins only fit up to 4 people we are considering booking two cabins; one a mini-suite with 3 people and book an inside accross the hallway with 2 people. Our problem is that with the ages of our kids we would not have them sleep in a cabin on their own so we are thinking of having all 5 of us acually sleep in the mini as long as we book one with the bunk bed and sofa bed configuration. Does anyone know if they will not allow us to do this? Currently there is a mini suite with this configuration and an inside accross that are available for the cruise we'd like to do. Anyone ever done this?

I would actually consider booking two connecting cabins and leaving the door between them open. You wouldn't do a mini, but outside cabins would serve you well. I don't like balcony cabins for people with very young children.

5 in a mini will be unbearably tight. I have done 4 and it is not fun. Perhaps mom and dad should split and use the inside and the mini? Having the 2 bathrooms is also a help. Another option would be to explore a suite that can hold all 5. Please don't take this wrong but is a Princess cruise with three kids that age really what you should be looking at?? You may be better off with a Disney cruise where I think they can accomodate more in a cabin and there would probably be more for the kids to do. Just saying.

On this particular question I would talk directly with Princess or a good travel agent who can offer sound advice on the room layouts. We have not stayed in a mini, but had friends who did and we saw the sofa bed pulled out and it did appear large enough to accommodate two children. I know when my little ones were two, there were many a night they slept in our bed, so that would be an option if you were open. It sounds as if you would still perhaps have to book two cabins, but I imagine, though cozy, you could all sleep in the same room. I mean we travel in an inside cabin with my two children and make it work just fine. And that is with my teenage son and husband both a towering 6'6". Cozy on a cruise is fine by me. It's nice family time!

And I think your children will enjoy Princess. The 4 and 6 year old are old enough for Princess Pelicans and though your 2 year old is not, you can accompany him or her during certain hours and stay to play in the Pelican Room. We did Disney and while it is great, we have found the kid's program on Princess to be just as fun and a bit more personal and less chaotic due to a higher kid/counselor ratio and less kids overall. Have fun!

You would have to book two cabins, and as adults split up, one in each cabin since your kids are so young. Also, the first child in each cabin will pay the full fare as passenger #2, so you will only get a break on the third person in the one cabin.

Been there, done that, we have three adult kids now, but have had to book two cabins in the past sometimes, depending on the situation. Pia1913's suggestion was a good one, some ships have internal connecting doors in some oceanview and some inside cabins.

I guess once onboard though, you could do pretty much what you want, everyone sleeping in the mini, but as pointed out above the sofa is just a twin, as is the upper bunk. Guess you could use the inside for the extra bathroom and to store suitcases and maybe kids watching TV when you are in the minisuite, things like that. Your 2 year old will not qualify for the kids program, minimum 3 years and potty trained, but the other two will. You can take your 2 year old to the children's center, but you have to stay with him/her all the time they are there, so that is also something to consider. We have a 2 year old granddaughter and even though she is potty trained, she would not be able to be left there. Disney is definitely more expensive, but as said they definitely have cabins that accommodate 5 and most of those have what they call a split bath, which helps.

I think 5 in a mini-suite is a tight squeeze as well. Why not have yourself and DH split up to sleep at night -- it's not like you'd have much privacy with 5 in a mini anyway? Or better yet book on Celebrity or RCCL and get connecting cabins. We love Princess but connecting cabins are very rare on Princess and given the ages of your kids, it would be the most ideal setup.

I'd do connecting cabins....Inside,oceanview or balcony would work if your ok with a balcony with young kids...

Or

Score a family suite on RCCL>..it sleeps 6...has two bedrooms two baths. I would recommend Rccl anyhow with that age group of kids....:p Your kids will forever luv you....I think Princess does better with kids 12 and up...and this is both my personal and professional view...:D

CC

Thanks everyone for your comments. We totally would do connecting cabins (any category) but there just are just a few (if any) on most Princess cruises and none that I can see on the Ruby.

We've done two DCL cruises and love them and have worked out great. Princess is our favorite cruise line and wanted to alternate between the two lines. We took our two oldest ones on the Crown when they were 2 and 4, and they loved it so we're trying to fit in Princess now with our 3rd child.

We're fine with having to book two cabins but would prefer to sleep all in one (even if pretty cozy in there) and use the second cabin for showering and getting ready.

We are just worried we'll be told we can't sleep in the mini and have to split up.

Astro, I'm sure no one will be doing a bed check so it sounds like your plan should work. I can't resist one more plug for Celebrity though. They have the coolest connecting cabins on their Solstice-class ships -- very well thought out and the nicest layout of any connecting cabins we have tried. We find that overall Princess and Celebrity are very very similar.

Thanks everyone for your comments. We totally would do connecting cabins (any category) but there just are just a few (if any) on most Princess cruises and none that I can see on the Ruby.

We've done two DCL cruises and love them and have worked out great. Princess is our favorite cruise line and wanted to alternate between the two lines. We took our two oldest ones on the Crown when they were 2 and 4, and they loved it so we're trying to fit in Princess now with our 3rd child.

We're fine with having to book two cabins but would prefer to sleep all in one (even if pretty cozy in there) and use the second cabin for showering and getting ready.

We are just worried we'll be told we can't sleep in the mini and have to split up.

The only other option is the "Family Suite" on Princess - its usually forward, has a balcony, and the kids are in a separate area away from the balcony. It sleeps up to 8. From the looks of the diagram, it has two baths too. Only downsides are that there are only 2 per ship and they are $$$. But given you'd only get 3rd pax. rate on one kid and pay full for the others, it may not be that much of a difference between mini + inside. Don't know though. :)

One other thought - Ruby doesn't have the super shallow kiddie splash pool up on the top deck.

When we were on them the Caribbean princess, Grand & Star had them. I don't know about Crown or Golden.

You might want to double check that for your youngest.

The only other option is the "Family Suite" on Princess - its usually forward, has a balcony, and the kids are in a separate area away from the balcony. It sleeps up to 8. From the looks of the diagram, it has two baths too. Only downsides are that there are only 2 per ship and they are $$$. But given you'd only get 3rd pax. rate on one kid and pay full for the others, it may not be that much of a difference between mini + inside. Don't know though. :)

I've actually been upgraded twice to the Family Suite on the Sapphire Princess, and have done a review of it with photos here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077929

It's great to get as a free upgrade, but if you book it then I believe you are charged a full suite price for the first four passengers, and only the 5th passenger gets a price break. So it is usually much more expensive than booking two cabins, or so I am told. The down sides of the Family Suite (other than cost) are that it's all the way forward (so you get a lot of motion) and the balcony is virtually unusable when the ship is at sea (see my review).

The family suite is more or less a mini suite and inside cabin connected with a larger sitting area. It does receive the full suite perks though. It is perfect for a large family, but the problem is, it is sold for the full suite rate, and the first four passengers pay full fare (no matter what their ages), and only the 5th passenger an up get any type of break (no matter what their ages again). It can run in excess of $10000 for a weeks cruise with a family of 5. Which is pretty steep.

I can't imagine 5 in a mini-suite. I'm not sure if the line allows it. Adjoining is best. If not Princess then consider Celebrity; I think they've more adjoining than Princess. Celeb's a good line.

We used to do an outside veranda and an inside quad across the passageway. Your kids are young but... With baby moniters and walkie-talkies, you can handle just about anything. People often worry about balconys - I did initially - but really, the doors are heavy (intentionally) and the rails are high (intentionally). I've never heard of small children going overboard, its always drunken adults.

So I spoke with Princess and yes the Family Suite does run about $9K vs about $4,600 for the Mini + inside accross the hall. I actually told her what I was planning and she said that once onboard, many people will swith the sleeping arrangements as needed but that YMMV. I went ahead and booked it that way. The minis on Princess are just about the same size as the family cabins on Disney which worked well for us. She did tell me that the Royal Princess will have some more connecting cabins. Can't wait.

So I spoke with Princess and yes the Family Suite does run about $9K vs about $4,600 for the Mini + inside accross the hall. I actually told her what I was planning and she said that once onboard, many people will swith the sleeping arrangements as needed but that YMMV. I went ahead and booked it that way. The minis on Princess are just about the same size as the family cabins on Disney which worked well for us. She did tell me that the Royal Princess will have some more connecting cabins. Can't wait.

Who knows? Maybe you will get lucky and get a free upgrade to the Family Suite like we did. The suite perks are very nice (especially the free laundry when traveling with kids). Based on my own experience of being upgraded twice, I'm convinced that when they want to upgrade someone to a Family Suite, they look for a family with two cabins that they can free up, so a mini-suite and an inside may just put you in the running. Are you booking yourself or using a TA? Make sure your bookings are linked. And be sure to come back afterward and post a review!

That would be awsome if we got upgraded. Either way we always have a great time. We love cruising and Princess. Our kids are addicted also; they especially like it when we have to tender to ports. I'll post a review for sure.

And make sure Princess and your TA (if you used one) know not to move one of your cabins away from the other (just in case you don't get upgraded to the full suite).

I'm sure your kids will have a fun time onboard. The two oldest will be in Pelicans and they will have plenty to do.

Archived