Camera Questions -

FurKids

Prices are similar on both. I would check in Boochlands and also Royal Caribbean. I believe they have stores on both islands.

If you are purchasing very high end equipment, you have more a duty free allowance in St. Thomas than St. Maarten. If you are only over your allowance by a small margin, Customs will usually waive the difference.

Not sure why people still think the islands have better price. Price always come with unseen cost; service, warranty and possible other complications.

Between major mailorder / internet the deals and service IMHO are better from places like BH/Adorama or even Amazon.

As for lense; wide angle 10-24mm zooms or a wide angle prime for landscape and indoor. Best lense all depends on how you like to shoot.

THe last thing I'd want to do is buy a new camera I'm not familar with and hope to learn how to use it on vacation for the timeless shot.

Going to St. Thomas and St. Maartin - which place is better to purchase camera lenses.

Also, any idea what would be the best lens to rent for taking pictures on the islands.

Thanks in advance.

Prices are similar on both. I would check in Boochlands and also Royal Caribbean. I believe they have stores on both islands.

If you are purchasing very high end equipment, you have more a duty free allowance in St. Thomas than St. Maarten. If you are only over your allowance by a small margin, Customs will usually waive the difference.

I purchased my camera at Bouilands I think it was called, I'll check at home. I filled out the customs form and they never asked for me, we were just waived on by. This was the week Bin Laden was killed so I guess security and customs were still celebrating.

Not sure why people still think the islands have better price. Price always come with unseen cost; service, warranty and possible other complications.

Between major mailorder / internet the deals and service IMHO are better from places like BH/Adorama or even Amazon.

As for lense; wide angle 10-24mm zooms or a wide angle prime for landscape and indoor. Best lense all depends on how you like to shoot.

THe last thing I'd want to do is buy a new camera I'm not familar with and hope to learn how to use it on vacation for the timeless shot.

It worked fine for me, I paid $100 less than I would have paid at home, not taking tax into account and shipping cost/time had I orderd via the internet.

After St Maartin on Allure, I had two sea days and learning to use the camera was an enjoyable part of my cruise. That is one nice thing about digital, no wasting film or processing. I'm glad I purchashed my Cannon when and where I did. It has worked out well for me.

I would agree with you except for the duty free allowance. Also many times these stores will "throw something in" to close the deal even though they have gone as far as they can on the price. Nonetheless, your point about Amazon or 47th Street Photo are well taken. One would be wise to do their homework there first if they have a specific piece of equipment in mind. I would even bring in a printout for negotiation purposes.

Archived