having a blonde night: 'insure my trip . com'....

MentalVacation

When i am searching policies for my cruise, what do I click for "primary destination"? I tried "other" and it excludes a lot of policies that appear to cover "cruise, tour, etc"...

I am not set on "cancel for any reason" coverage, but I want coverage for death/illness/flood/unexpected end of employment/weather/natural disaster....

What is your preferred company for booking trip insurance?

When i am searching policies for my cruise, what do I click for "primary destination"? I tried "other" and it excludes a lot of policies that appear to cover "cruise, tour, etc"...

I am not set on "cancel for any reason" coverage, but I want coverage for death/illness/flood/unexpected end of employment/weather/natural disaster....

What is your preferred company for booking trip insurance?

Not answering your original question ,but why the need for insurance? We have never had insurance and been through hurricanes and airline delays.It always works out

Not answering your original question ,but why the need for insurance? We have never had insurance and been through hurricanes and airline delays.It always works out

Because some people would prefer to be able to get some money back if something goes wrong. It is like say why have car insurance when you haven't ever had a accident. Now on to the original question I think I either put Caribbean or Mexico as my destination. But depending on where you go you can adjust them. A lot of people use insure my trip and love it. I go threw usaa because I use them for everything I can but the prices all around are comparable

I have young children and old relatives. I had to cut my Disney trip short by a day due to a dying relative, and my traveling companions had to use their trip insurance for our most recent trip to Vegas due to an ill child. We are cruising with children and it is just something I would prefer to have. I am pretty sure my medical insurance does not cover treatment outside the us and I cannot afford evacuation.

Oh, and many friends of mine in the area have been displaced by flooding this summer, which makes vacations the last thing on their mind.

I think I got my answer -- a rep from insuremytrip tells me to select ANY of my destinations on the cruise and all will be covered. (I'll be saving that email. ;))

I have young children and old relatives. I had to cut my Disney trip short by a day due to a dying relative, and my traveling companions had to use their trip insurance for our most recent trip to Vegas due to an ill child. We are cruising with children and it is just something I would prefer to have. I am pretty sure my medical insurance does not cover treatment outside the us and I cannot afford evacuation.

Oh, and many friends of mine in the area have been displaced by flooding this summer, which makes vacations the last thing on their mind.

I think I got my answer -- a rep from insuremytrip tells me to select ANY of my destinations on the cruise and all will be covered. (I'll be saving that email. ;))

since you put it that way I guess you need insurance.We are late 30s no kids not much to worry about.Now i understand more about why people get insurance

It always works out until you fall down - badly with a heart attack or shark bite or lightning strike or a hang nail, in a foreign country, and require emergency medical care, and the ship won't let you get back on board because of your medical condition, and then you need emergency medi-vac, and lo and behold your regular medical insurance tells you "no, not covered" and then you out upwards of 50k+. But hey, then it always works out - if you have travel insurance or have the disposable funds to pay for it all.

OP - they have a 800# to call. The customer service reps have always been great. I believe they just tell you to pick one of the Caribbean islands and then when you enter your carriers, the cruise portion will cover all your locations by sea. There are a lot of good companies to choose from. Travel Guard is mentioned on here quite a bit that people use.

I see you got your answer, while I was typing my reply. So disregard the above.

Once you select a policy to purchase it will give you and oppurtunity to fill our your travel providers (airline, cruiseline).

As to the question of why buy insurance, we purchase different types of policies for different types of cruises. 4-5 day out of a driveable port-we only purchase the medical insurance. 7-11 day where airfare/hotels are involved we take the full coverage. I can afford to lose $1000 if I can't make the driveable cruise. I can afford to lose the $3000-$5000 for the longer cruise but I prefer not to. I could afford to pay the $70,000+ to get medivaced /medical care off the ship in a real emergency-but that is something I really don't want to pay.

I have pretty good health insurance policy-but unfortunately, like a lot of health insurance policies, they won't pay a dime if you get sick or injured and need treatment out of the country.

I know a couple in their 30's who were on a cruise and he had a heart attack and had to be medivaced off the ship for medical care. They also thought they were covered under their health insurance policy. Sad when they discovered their insurance did not pick up his medicial evacuation to get treatment and to be stablized in a foreign country. It did not start covering him again until he got back to Miami. It almost put them into bankruptcy and 5 years later they are still trying to get it paid off. They learned the lesson the hard way.

Who ever you choose do not choose Ross. They are horrible. We used them for a trip to New Zealand that had to be cancelled becaause the lady we were to stay with was injured and put in a nursing hime so we had no where to stay. They refused to pay because she wasn't a traveling companion that started in the US. Went back and forth 5 times with them. Still wouldn't pay. Horrible company.

They gave me the same answer when I called a few months ago. I picked TravelGuard because the coverage seemed really good and children were covered for free.

I used insuremytrip also. In fact, I just bought the travel insurance yesterday for our November cruise. It covers just what we need, which is coverage to be medi-vac'ed in case of emergency and medical care in case we need it at port or while cruising. It covers other things like trip interruption, baggage loss, etc. but those are policy basics.

Our medi-vac provides up to $100,000 of coverage and I paid only $45 for myself and teen daughter (who was free).

If the choices of insurance are mind-boggling one you start looking into it, call at rep at insuremytrip and they will steer you in the right direction, give you a quote, email you policies to look over and answer all of your questions.

Money well spent for peace of mind!

since you put it that way I guess you need insurance.We are late 30s no kids not much to worry about.Now i understand more about why people get insurance

Hypothetical: While in port you're rushing back to the ship and you step off a curb and break your ankle. You need to go to the hospital.. the ship leaves without you and you're now stuck in a foreign country/port with an ER bill; your belongings as well as probably most of your cash in on the ship and you need to figure out how to get home.

THATS why ya get insurance ;)

I guess you don't have accidents either. Medical evacuation can cost up to 6 figures.

We are young too and anything can happen, we just paid $59 p/p for coverage and I think it's a wise investment. My friend who was in her 20's slipped and fell on the Lido deck and broke her ankle, needless to say her cruise was cut short and all of her bills thankfully were paid including being reimbursed for the trip she missed out on :)

Hypothetical: While in port you're rushing back to the ship and you step off a curb and break your ankle. You need to go to the hospital.. the ship leaves without you and you're now stuck in a foreign country/port with an ER bill; your belongings as well as probably most of your cash in on the ship and you need to figure out how to get home.

THATS why ya get insurance ;)

Well put.

Just went onto insuremytrip and looked .What does everyone get theres a million different policies.Are there any standard ones that cover everything

I called. It was much easier just telling the CSR what we needed and she gave us a quote. We booked.

This will be my first time ever buying insurance.

We bought a policy due to our jobs. There are so many variables - we might lose our vacation, we might be moved, to even we might be getting new jobs all together. So we bought a cancel for any reason policy.

Cost us $47 a person.

Archived