Cemetary or Eden Rock Snorkeling?

krummdog

We will be in Grand Cayman next March, we plan on doing Stingray City, but are also looking for some fun snorkeling. Where do you guys prefer to go snorkeling between either Cemetary beach or Eden Rock?

Thanks!

We will be in Grand Cayman next March, we plan on doing Stingray City, but are also looking for some fun snorkeling. Where do you guys prefer to go snorkeling between either Cemetary beach or Eden Rock?

Thanks!

We just got back from a week in Grand Cayman and would do Eden Rock if you just want to snorkel. It doesn't have a beach, but it is within walking distance of the downtown area. It was the best shore snorkeling we have done!

If you want a beach and snorkel, then I would do Cemetary, but you would need to get a taxi to get there. Or I would highly recommend Smith's Cove, which is also a taxi ride (or a really long walk) from downtown, very pretty, so-so snorkeling and small beach.

We are planning to snorkel at Eden Rock this time! What is there to walk to once we are done snorkeling? Any beaches nearby or beach clubs where we can get some lunch and hang out for the rest of the day, or should we take a cab somewhere?

There are a few beach chairs next to the Paradise Restaurant (right next to Eden Rock) where you can sit and watch the harbor (mostly your cruise ship and maybe one freighter), but no beach nearby. You are right by the downtown area, so you can find a few places to eat almost across the street, like Guy Harvey’s or Hard Rock Cafe. Or if you walk back a few blocks towards the tender area, there is Margaretville and a little further, you can see the Fish Market (just a few guys selling their fish, but all the Tarpon come and gather, so it is quite a sight) and then a Burger King.

If you have time and can climb a wall, I heard that the reef right off of Burger King was really good, too. I am more of a "easy-in/easy-out" type of snorkeler, so I didn’t try this site.

Thanks KD! I would like to see those tarpan! We have been to GC several times but we always do all day excursions. I have never just got off the ship and walked around so I cant even visualize the port area! Weird! I think this is my 4th time there and haven't seen 7 mile beach! Thanks for the nice reply!

You're Welcome!

Here is a picture of the harbor so you don't have to visualize the Harbor!! This is the entry from the Paradise Restaurant. We didn’t walk the few extra feet over to the Eden Rock entry, but swam in that direction.

This was about the best reef for snorkelers that I found on the island. We stayed a week and went all over the island and ended up here on the last day, when there were no cruise ships (so we had the whole reef to ourselves). The Tarpons swarm around you when you get in, but they are harmless. We saw tons of fish, stingrays and even a baby sea turtle!

Harbor.jpg.3b591aabf4ce9e2e834ae0a853a78858.jpg

We just got back from a week in Grand Cayman and would do Eden Rock if you just want to snorkel. It doesn't have a beach, but it is within walking distance of the downtown area. It was the best shore snorkeling we have done!

If you want a beach and snorkel, then I would do Cemetary, but you would need to get a taxi to get there. Or I would highly recommend Smith's Cove, which is also a taxi ride (or a really long walk) from downtown, very pretty, so-so snorkeling and small beach.

Glad to hear this. DH & I have decided to just walk to Eden Rock & snorkel some in December. We aren't worried about sitting on the beach, so works perfect. Are there lockers to rent there? And can you rent the vest & fins? If so, do you know how much by chance? We have our own snorkels & masks.

I would agree on Eden Rock it was easy to find and just walking distance from the ship....the tarpan was so huge and fun free experience.

Yay, perfect!

There are a few beach chairs next to the Paradise Restaurant (right next to Eden Rock) where you can sit and watch the harbor (mostly your cruise ship and maybe one freighter), but no beach nearby. You are right by the downtown area, so you can find a few places to eat almost across the street, like Guy Harvey’s or Hard Rock Cafe. Or if you walk back a few blocks towards the tender area, there is Margaretville and a little further, you can see the Fish Market (just a few guys selling their fish, but all the Tarpon come and gather, so it is quite a sight) and then a Burger King.

If you have time and can climb a wall, I heard that the reef right off of Burger King was really good, too. I am more of a "easy-in/easy-out" type of snorkeler, so I didn’t try this site.

Good to know. So Hard Rock is right in there? Would be neat to maybe stop in there.

You're Welcome!

Here is a picture of the harbor so you don't have to visualize the Harbor!! This is the entry from the Paradise Restaurant. We didn’t walk the few extra feet over to the Eden Rock entry, but swam in that direction.

This was about the best reef for snorkelers that I found on the island. We stayed a week and went all over the island and ended up here on the last day, when there were no cruise ships (so we had the whole reef to ourselves). The Tarpons swarm around you when you get in, but they are harmless. We saw tons of fish, stingrays and even a baby sea turtle!

Thanks, this helps a lot!!!

I took this picture when we were on the Conquest in October, coming into GC. Is this where Eden Rock is???

DSC_0382.jpg[/img]

Thanks, this helps a lot!!!

I took this picture when we were on the Conquest in October, coming into GC. Is this where Eden Rock is???

DSC_0382.jpg[/img]

The small building with the light green roof (bottom right) is Paradise Restaurant, which is the first of the two "Eden Rock" entries. Off-screen to the right, past the trees, is the Eden Rock Dive Centre.

Both places rent gear, and I know Eden Rock Dive Centre has lockers for sure. Paradise Restaurant might have lockers, but I can't say for sure since I've never looked for them there.

The Dive Centre's website has lots of great info and rental prices:

http://www.edenrockdive.com/Snorkeling/Snorkeling.html

The small building with the light green roof (bottom right) is Paradise Restaurant, which is the first of the two "Eden Rock" entries. Off-screen to the right, past the trees, is the Eden Rock Dive Centre.

Both places rent gear, and I know Eden Rock Dive Centre has lockers for sure. Paradise Restaurant might have lockers, but I can't say for sure since I've never looked for them there.

The Dive Centre's website has lots of great info and rental prices:

http://www.edenrockdive.com/Snorkeling/Snorkeling.html

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

When I took that picture, I didn't realize what it was of really. But when I was looking at pictures 2 nights ago from my cruise (And getting more excited about my cruise on Saturday & planning December's), I came across that picture. Helps me though in understanding where to go, Thanks again!

My shot was taken next to the red awning, looking out towards the harbor, you can kind of see the steps. The reef is off the right (in this picture).

Here is another picture I found on the internet that shows you how close the Hard Rock (tan colored buidling in the middle) and tender is from Eden Rock. You can see the big blue office building as a landmark.

After all these pictures, you will know where everything is when you get there!

3670929-Rock_Out_Baby_Cayman_Islands.jpg.59db0d34c79e158eb920f3714403883c.jpg

My shot was taken next to the red awning, looking out towards the harbor, you can kind of see the steps. The reef is off the right (in this picture).

Here is another picture I found on the internet that shows you how close the Hard Rock (tan colored buidling in the middle) and tender is from Eden Rock. You can see the big blue office building as a landmark.

After all these pictures, you will know where everything is when you get there!

Great, Thank-you!

Be sure to ask someone to point out the buoys that mark the reef.

Sometimes there are a lot of fish close to shore and sometimes not. But the best snorkeling is always out over the larger Eden Rock reef which is about 100 yards from shore and marked by some Red buoys. The guy at Eden Rock Dive center pointed out where to go in relation to the buoys last time and we saw some amazing sights.

There are a few restuarants around. We've had lunch at Paradise (Right along the shore near Eden Rock) and at Hammerheads just the other side of the tender pier. We tend to stick with local non-chain places where we can get some fresh fish for lunch.

Thanks! I have a much better idea of what to expect! I cant wait to try the snorkeling at Eden Rock. We leave in only 11 days!

Let us know what you think when you get back if you don't mind. We won't be going until December. :)

Be sure to ask someone to point out the buoys that mark the reef.

Sometimes there are a lot of fish close to shore and sometimes not. But the best snorkeling is always out over the larger Eden Rock reef which is about 100 yards from shore and marked by some Red buoys. The guy at Eden Rock Dive center pointed out where to go in relation to the buoys last time and we saw some amazing sights.

There are a few restuarants around. We've had lunch at Paradise (Right along the shore near Eden Rock) and at Hammerheads just the other side of the tender pier. We tend to stick with local non-chain places where we can get some fresh fish for lunch.

Thank-you!

You guys have been so helpful!!

does anyone know if you can rent snorkel equipment at cemetary? i had read that they dont' have any facilities so i'm assuming they don't?

thanks

There are no facilities of any kind at the Cemetery Beach section of 7 Mile Beach, so you would need to bring your own gear or rent some on island.

I'm an ultra beginner snorkeller and still not comfortable in deep water. How deep is it at Eden's Rock? Can you touch bottom?

Are there facilities to lock up your bags at Cemetary or Seven Mile beach? Same question re: snorkelling at the beaches....is it deep?

Thanks!

You can not touch bottom over the reef. You might be able to closer to shore where it is just sand.

In any even when you are over a reef (which is where the real fish viewing is) you are not supposed to touch anything, especially the bottom with your feet or fins, as it is damaging to the live reef system. If you are a beginner it is usually more comforting to snorkel in water that is above your head anyways so you don't need to worry about touching the reef. If you're concerned about swimming you can rent a snorkeling vest to make it even easier to keep you afloat - these are very recommended for beginners and many experienced snorkelers use them as well.

There are no facilities at Cemetery. Along 7 mile beach the beach is mostly sandy bottom and not very good for snorkeling. Where there is a reef it may or may bot be deep but you don't want to touch bottom in any event.

You can not touch bottom over the reef. You might be able to closer to shore where it is just sand.

In any even when you are over a reef (which is where the real fish viewing is) you are not supposed to touch anything, especially the bottom with your feet or fins, as it is damaging to the live reef system. If you are a beginner it is usually more comforting to snorkel in water that is above your head anyways so you don't need to worry about touching the reef. If you're concerned about swimming you can rent a snorkeling vest to make it even easier to keep you afloat - these are very recommended for beginners and many experienced snorkelers use them as well.

There are no facilities at Cemetery. Along 7 mile beach the beach is mostly sandy bottom and not very good for snorkeling. Where there is a reef it may or may bot be deep but you don't want to touch bottom in any event.

Thank-you for the information!

Archived