How to clean my snorkeling mask before keeping it.

ryanjuzz

Hi Team,

I just wanted to know how I can clean up my snorkeling goggles that I've used last week (used in snorkeling activities in Balicasag Island - Bohol, Philippines.) before I keep them in the case. I've seen in some of our forums that we use toothpaste for defogging purposes. Can we also use toothpaste for cleaning?

Appreciate your response and feedback to my concern.

Cheers!

You don't use toothpaste for defogging the mask, you use it to clean the mold release agent off it before using it for the first time. Another technique is to hold the mask over a lighter, but I prefer toothpaste. It may take more than one scrubbing, too. There are a lot of different ways to defog--solutions, baby shampoo, spit, etc.

Hi Team,

I just wanted to know how I can clean up my snorkeling goggles that I've used last week (used in snorkeling activities in Balicasag Island - Bohol, Philippines.) before I keep them in the case. I've seen in some of our forums that we use toothpaste for defogging purposes. Can we also use toothpaste for cleaning?

Appreciate your response and feedback to my concern.

Cheers!

Toothpaste is a great cleaner for getting a new mask ready and also ideal for cleaning if you find your mask is fogging up even after using a de fogging liquid.

Masks have a tendency to grow mold between the frame and the silicone skirt over time, particularly if stored wet.

Before storing I would clean the mask thoroughly with mild soap and water (this gets rid of suntan oils etc,) then soak it in clean water to which a small amount of bleach has been added. This will kill the mold without damaging the silicone. Dry thoroughly before storing.

Hope this helps.

We just rinse with fresh water after snorkeling and let air dry - never had a problem. We use spit (I agree it is disgusting) followed by a rinse in the salt water for defogging and that almost always works. I've tried the defogging spray too and that worked well.

Archived