Universal on Departure Day -- can it be done?

scrapgeek

We can't take any extra days for the theme parks, but my kids really want to go over to Universal and see the new Harry Potter stuff. If we left Friday after school and got to the park when it opens Saturday morning, will there be enough time to do stuff and then get to the ship before 4 pm?

If I do this, I'm not sure how to handle our luggage. We can't check it through to the ship if we are leaving on Friday. We could rent a car, but it seems silly given that you can't drop them at the port -- we have to rent a car then return it a few hours later, then get a shuttle from the car rental place. That seems like it would eat up time.

Any ideas?

We can't take any extra days for the theme parks, but my kids really want to go over to Universal and see the new Harry Potter stuff. If we left Friday after school and got to the park when it opens Saturday morning, will there be enough time to do stuff and then get to the ship before 4 pm?

If I do this, I'm not sure how to handle our luggage. We can't check it through to the ship if we are leaving on Friday. We could rent a car, but it seems silly given that you can't drop them at the port -- we have to rent a car then return it a few hours later, then get a shuttle from the car rental place. That seems like it would eat up time.

Any ideas?

I don't think its worth taking the chance of missing the ship...all you need is a little bad traffic on the top and you will miss the ship.

I would try it the other way around....

I would (plan a late flight home)......get off the ship.........to the airport, about 10-11.........rent a car.....go to US.........stay until you have to get to the plane.....that is your best bet......but its still a tight schedule.

I hope it works out for you.....have a great cruise!

AKK

I agree that doing it after the cruise would be the best bet. But keep in mind that even with domestic flights, if you're flying out of LAX, you will need to get to the airport at least 2 hours (or more if you are returning a car) before your flight leaves.

You are definitely better off doing it when you get off of the ship. We were off the ship between 7:30-8am. You could probably be at the park by 10am, do the Harry Potter stuff and get to the airport in the late afternoon/early evening.

The only way to make it work is if you stayed Friday night at one of the Universal hotels. With the room key cards you can get into the park an hour early before the masses. This will enable you to do Harry Potter many times, have your luggage stored till you are ready to go. In the first 3-4 hours you will be able to tour all of the Harry Potter area and some other fringe locations. If you are back to the hotel by 11:30am-12pm, would that work for you? It is a shame you couldn't have more time and it will be a dash start to your vacation. Not worth it IMHO. Try the full day after.

Thank you, PhylSam! I think that is exactly what we will do. Harry Potter is the only thing we want to do, and it really crowded, so early admission would be fantastic!

Realistically, the early admission provided by the three on-site hotels is the only way. By the time that the park opens to the general public, the lines for the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride are over an hour long. This ride doesn't use the express pass so even that won't help. The Hippogriff coaster line is nearly as long and even the wand shop has a long and very slow moving que.

The Harry Potter corner of the park gets busy fast and stays packed all day. They will limit entry to the area by noon with a fastpass type system.

I guess it would work, staying in a Universal Hotel Friday night and then being up and out the door first thing Saturday for early entry. I'd probably pack all the clothes and everything you need for Saturday morning in a tote to minimize the amount of repacking you might need to do. I've used that strategy before, and even though we pack light, it still works better than digging through several suitcases which inevitably need some straightening before being closed up again.

I'm assuming you'll take a car service from the airport to your Universal hotel, then from the hotel to the Port?

You'll need to be walking out of the theme park by 1:30 at the latest to get back to the hotel--the boat can take 30 minutes if you just miss one (although you can walk in 10-15 minutes depending on your hotel if you need to), and retrieving and loading your bags can be another 15-20 minutes.

I'd plan on it taking a full 90 minutes to the port, just in case there's an accident or traffic.

I'd also temper your kids expectations and let them know that they might not have the chance to see/do it all, even with early entry. Have them choose their top three things to do, and then do the others as time permits.

As someone who has been to the Harry Potter section of the park you will get stuck in there and are likely to miss the boat. It isn't worth it to do it when you have a time crunch. If they really want to see the Harry Potter park section go when you get back. That section fills to capacity within an hour of the park opening and you can't wedge another person in AND NO ONE can move.

As someone else said, the lines for the main ride are over an hour long and there is no "fast pass" line. Even the "single riders line" takes more than an hour. That doesn't even include the gift shops they will want to do, the butter beer, or all the pictures they will want to take. There are even lines to get into the gift shops. Just WAIT. Do this park after the cruise.

As a side note: what ever marketing GENIUS at Universal came up with this idea has made a gazillion dollar bonus. This idea to level that section of the park and put in Harry Potter's Wizarding World had made them more money than they can ever count in ten lifetimes.

• 2 months later...

I think it is possible to do the Harry Potter exhibit in 2-3 hours. It is an expensive proposition to get $$$ park tickets, only to leave after 3 hours - you have to ask yourself, would you pay to be there $25/hour/per person? But, a side note on the long lines. My mother and I took my three children to the HP exhibit the first week of June 2010. It was crowded!! BUT, someone told us that you can pay an additional fee and get to the front of the line for every HP attraction. I think it was something like $69/pp, and there was a place you could buy the "upgrade" by credit card right in the Wizarding World. We didn't do it, but if time was a factor and money was not, this might be something to consider.

I think it is possible to do the Harry Potter exhibit in 2-3 hours. It is an expensive proposition to get $$$ park tickets, only to leave after 3 hours - you have to ask yourself, would you pay to be there $25/hour/per person? But, a side note on the long lines. My mother and I took my three children to the HP exhibit the first week of June 2010. It was crowded!! BUT, someone told us that you can pay an additional fee and get to the front of the line for every HP attraction. I think it was something like $69/pp, and there was a place you could buy the "upgrade" by credit card right in the Wizarding World. We didn't do it, but if time was a factor and money was not, this might be something to consider.

The Express Pass that allows you to bypass the line is NOT available on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter ride.

I don't think its worth taking the chance of missing the ship...all you need is a little bad traffic on the top and you will miss the ship.

I would try it the other way around....

I would (plan a late flight home)......get off the ship.........to the airport' date=' about 10-11.........rent a car.....go to US.........stay until you have to get to the plane.....that is your best bet......but its still a tight schedule.

I hope it works out for you.....have a great cruise!

AKK[/quote']

The only way to make it work is if you stayed Friday night at one of the Universal hotels. With the room key cards you can get into the park an hour early before the masses. This will enable you to do Harry Potter many times, have your luggage stored till you are ready to go. In the first 3-4 hours you will be able to tour all of the Harry Potter area and some other fringe locations. If you are back to the hotel by 11:30am-12pm, would that work for you? It is a shame you couldn't have more time and it will be a dash start to your vacation. Not worth it IMHO. Try the full day after.

These two quotes together =

1. do your cruise - have fun

2. from the cruise check into one of US hotels, leaving your flight home for the following day, giving you a down day to enjoy the hotel and surrounding area, resting for your FULL day tomorrow

3. get up early, enjoy the park until your veeerrrry late departure home, leaving enough time to get out of there (and drop off rental?) so as not to miss the plane!

Archived