Poor soundproofing - Quest Deck 6

jsy44

Just returned from my first AZ cruise. An unexpected problem was the poor soundproofing in the stateroom. Any noise in the corridor could be heard although this was not a particular problem as generally people were quiet. However being sited over the Cabaret lounge meant relaxing in the room was impossible during afternoon rehearsal times or during the evening performances. Guest relations were unable to move me as the ship was full. This problem is well known and apparently will be fixed when the ship goes into dry dock next year. I feel that under these circumstances people should be informed in advance and certainly there should be a price differential. An alternative room was found on the last night (ocean view, not balcony as I had paid for) so finally I got a decent nights sleep. I had intended to have very early mornings to enjoy sunrises and the approaches into ports, get off the ship early, snooze in the afternoon and have early nights. Unfortunately I had to conform to AZ entertainers' hours so did not have the holiday experience I had hoped for.

If you are booked on deck 6 check location of cabaret Lounge. From talking to others 6010-6021 are definitely affected, probably more. At the time of booking there were plenty of cabins available elsewhere on deck 6, all in the same price range, so I am particularly annoyed that no mention was made of this problem.

We were in 6017 on the Journey and the first afternoon on board, the noise from the band rehearsing in the cabaret room below us was very loud and reverberating through our stateroom. I thought we would be asking to be moved but after that we were never bothered again. Maybe it was because we were not in our room during afternoon rehearsals and during the evenings we were either at dinner or enjoying the entertainment in the cabaret.

I am sorry that you were so disturbed by the noise and I can see that others would find it a problem too, especially if they like or need to spend a lot of time in their stateroom. I'm glad that the problem is recognised by Azamara and due to be rectified.

Lynne :(

We have been in the bow cabins several times as we enjoy being "the first into port". We have heard a bit of noise and felt the vibration from the band, but it really never bothered us. I guess it's an individual thing. Sorry it made the trip difficult for you. ddcruiser

Does anyone know when the Quest will be going into drydock and if so how will they fix this problem. We will be on the Quest for the 1st time the end of May 2012 and have a cabin reserved midship on the 6th floor. I am wondering if the problem will be fixed by then or if we will be affected? Thanks!

Does anyone know when the Quest will be going into drydock and if so how will they fix this problem. We will be on the Quest for the 1st time the end of May 2012 and have a cabin reserved midship on the 6th floor. I am wondering if the problem will be fixed by then or if we will be affected? Thanks!

You won't have a problem with a cabin in the middle of the 6th deck.

Hi Goldenfilly,

I agree with Tgg. We've only heard occasional reports from guests about this issue. I'd be very surprised if this would affect you, as you stated you are Mid-Ship.

As for your Drydock question, Quest is scheduled for an 8 day Drydock beginning on 11/20/12. Enjoy your Cruise !

The cabins far forward on deck 4 have the same noise problem because they are directly under the Cabaret Lounge. The sound during rehearsals goes down as well as up. If you happen to be off the ship during rehearsal times and you're attending the shows at night, you'll be unaware of a problem.

However, if you come back to the ship after touring for the day and want to catch a nap late in the afternoon, you'll be quite aware of the music.

Unless you're used to studying deck plans, this can catch you unaware. A good travel agent who has spent time on the ship can be worth her weight in gold. (I'm not a travel agent. I don't even play one on TV.;))

The cabins far forward on deck 4 have the same noise problem because they are directly under the Cabaret Lounge. The sound during rehearsals goes down as well as up. If you happen to be off the ship during rehearsal times and you're attending the shows at night, you'll be unaware of a problem.

However, if you come back to the ship after touring for the day and want to catch a nap late in the afternoon, you'll be quite aware of the music.

Unless you're used to studying deck plans, this can catch you unaware. A good travel agent who has spent time on the ship can be worth her weight in gold. (I'm not a travel agent. I don't even play one on TV.;))

I've had this issue on another ship (Oceana 2005) & its now one of the first things I look at when booking a cabin.

It was quite fun though when they had an early show one evening - I was able to sing (& dance :eek:) along (it was a show based on the music of Queen) while getting ready for dinner:)

Archived