Black Sea cruise,,7 or 9 nites???

alexandra cruiser

I see that 2 are offered...one bypasses Trabazon,Turkey and Sochi,Russia...and is offered in June...then 9 day in July,,when hotter,,,offers both,,,besides other ports,,,but is it worth the extra time and money for these,,,know its subjective,,but any opinions of those that have taken either would be really helpful in making my choice...thanks:confused:

Hi Alexandra

I have done most of the ports of the black sea and in my opinion are not worth it. The area is very underdeveloped. Most of the former soviet ports are tired and not well maintained. I would probably say thay with the exception of Yalta, going arod the area feels the same to me.

Alexandra - I will respectfully disagree most emphatically with Beita regarding the Black Sea ports. Although Constanta and Nessebur are somewhat ho-hum, the three Ukrainian ports - Yalta, Sevastopol, and Odessa - are quite delightful to visit.

I would also strongly recommend that you consider the longer cruise, including Sochi and Trabzon. With some planning, one can have a marvelous visit to Sochi. And the visit to the incredible Sumela Monastery near Trabzon absolutely merits that port stop. The monastery hangs from the side of a mountain and reminds one of the lamasery in the film, "Lost Horizon".

In the Ukrainian ports and Sochi, we used private guides (recommended here on CC), with enormous success, in a small group of 8 people.

Cheers, Fred

I would always prefer a 9 night cruise over a 7 night. Given the hassle of getting to the embarkation port, etc., I like to enjoy as long a cruise as possible. I also found the Black Sea cruise to be interesting (if not absolutely riveting.)

We did this cruise in May/June 2011 (10 days) and both Trabzon and Sochi. Neither were our favourite ports, BUT the monastry in Trabzon is a "must see" (forget everything else). Sochi was "average": nice botanic garden (if one likes gardens...), Stalin's Dacha depressing but historic, traffic jams unbelievable. And, yes, 9 days are better than 7 and you can always call it a "sea-day" :D and relax on board in Sochi (and half a day in Trabzon).

that 9 day offered earlier,,not July,,poor time for vacation for us,,,loved the May2011 dates,,and really hoped that they d offer them next yr...could do June,,but only 7 days,,,

Now looking into river cruise instead,,,have Regent booked for xmas,,,so may switch gears ...never been on SS..but had best ports,,,others start in Athens,,not Istanbul...was really looking forward to Black Sea,,,oh well.:confused:

We are also considering this cruise for 2012. How do the sea conditons in the Black Sea compare to the Med? Just got off a cruise that was partly in the Atlantic and it was much bouncier than the Med and am curious if the Black Sea is as well. Thank you.

Archived