Bermuda - NCL Gem 10/30/11 from NY

zorro99

My partner and I are on the sailing right before yours (Oct. 23) -- we'll wave to you when we disembark. :)

Be sure to look in the Freestyle Daily on the Gem for the evening "Friends of Dorothy/GLBT" meetings. NCL is a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

We are on the Gem the week after you, which is when it starts its Florida/Bahamas route. This will be our third NCL cruise - the first two were on the Jewel, which is quite similar to the Gem. We enjoyed our first two cruises and are looking forward to our third.

How have your experiences been as gay cruisers (no pun) on the NCL boats?

Generally, we have felt quite comfortable with most staff and passengers with whom we have interacted.

This said, like most places, there were moments when others' heterosexism rose to the surface. For example, on our first cruise there was a couple (two men) dancing together in one of the bars/clubs (at the time, the floor was nearly empty). Another group had some guys who were clearly making fun of them. So, my partner and I, along with another couple (two men) we met at the FOD gathering earlier that night, went onto the dance floor so they would not be alone. Within moments, the group with the annoying guys left the bar/club. On our last cruise, on the final night as we got off the elevator, some guys going into the elevator made some negative comments about "those gay guys" (i.e., us). And, the Quest game can have undertones of heterosexism (and sexism), for example, by making a big deal out of two women kissing each other (or a man putting on a bra).

But, again, these moments aside, we felt quite comfortable. I assume others clearly identify us as a couple (although, sometimes people have asked us if we are brothers, or even twins - I have always found this to be an odd thing to ask strangers). We eat meals together - usually just us two. We spend most time on board together. Both times we were in a cabin for two, and there was no second look (that we noticed) from the steward or butler (both were in suites). And, on our last cruise I think the concierge may have been more attentive because we were a couple. On the first cruise, we met a lot of other GL-identifying passengers, but only a few on our last cruise; however, on our last cruise we did spend some time with a G-identifying couple who were part of the entertainment staff.

Eight months ago when we booked our next cruise, it was just to be another vacation. But with the passage of marriage equality in New York this summer and our wedding this upcoming labor day weekend, the cruise has now become our honeymoon and we are both very much looking forward to having the cruise be our honeymoon.

So, this should summarize our experiences and expectations on NCL. :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. We are Vermonters and were able to marry Sept '09 after 18 yrs together. It does make a difference - nothing you can quantify but you know it's different. Best to you both -- Happy wedding and honeymoon

How have your experiences been as gay cruisers (no pun) on the NCL boats?

thanks

lori

Our upcoming cruise on the Gem will be our 5th with NCL, which should tell you that we've been fine with our experiences on board and totally comfortable taking "mainstream" cruises.

One of my favorite memories is from a couple of winters ago when we were on the NCL Jade for a 12-day Med cruise. Thanks to Cruise Critic, we'd hooked up with a couple of other (heterosexual) couples for a private shore excursion in Rome. (They were Canadians.) We had a truly fantastic day in Rome, and back on board shared a wonderful dinner together. My partner and I were telling our new friends how we had gotten married in Canada, and how our marriage was not recognized in the state where we live or in our own country. To a person, they said how ridiculously unfair the U.S. is on this.

Last year on the Jewel, some of the entertainers came to the first FOD get together, and it was really nice to get to know them and then see them around on board, and of course to see them perform, having met them.

Have a great cruise!

• 5 weeks later...

Great postings folks. My partner and I will be sailing on The Gem 10/30 from NYC to Bermuda. This is not my first time to Bermuda, however it is my 2nd time while in a male relationship, almost 4 years (definitely a discussion over a few tropical drinks). Prior to this, I was married to a woman for many years. My point is, having lived in the straight world you get to hear opinions and Bermuda is not the ideal place for gays to express themselves and be totally free being who we are...holding hands, kissing...and the like. Some LGBT members will boycott the island alltogether. They are very conservative there and you should keep this in mind. There are no LGBT owned bars/restaurants/lounges...I saw 1 listed as gay "friendly" on the main street in Hamilton. Safety is not a concern and you will not have to worry about gay bashing or extreme homophobia.

On the ship, you will find that most of the passagers will be from the NY/NJ/CT/PA area and hence, more and more accepting. Make sure you go to the Friends of Dorothy meetings...they do announce them in the daily news print on-board ship. You do meet some great folks! And when straights come to realize that we are friends, brothers, sisters, parents, blue and white collar workers, employed, unemployed, ministers, neighbors, dentists or whatever...all that makes us stand out is our orientation and not much else...the more they will be on our side! Like the Canadians! Yes we Can-ada!

Bring a costume since they do put on a great Halloween Party!!! Hint...look for two...ahhhh...cows!!! High probability that will be us! And sorry...it was not my idea as to the placement of the utters...but you will see! Sighhhh! Moooo....moooooooooo!

So...hoping to meet and make new friends...we will drive from Red Bank, NJ to the cruise terminal and park there...and off we go. You will love Bermuda...it is such a nice place.

Be well...Bob and Evan in NJ

Hey Bob & Evan

I guess we'll see you in few weeks. My partner Anne & I will be on our first cruise - we are traveling with my parents and celebrating milestone birthdays - Mom (70) and me (50). We are really looking forward to the R&R - no phone, no laptop. FYI - There is a roll call for this cruise in the general roll call section - some folks are hosting a sail away party (and a meet & greet on monday am) on the Haven Suite deck and there are quite a few folks attending. Seems to be a fairly friendly group - don't know if you are interested. We plan to attend a FOD gathering as well.

Best

Lori & Anne

-- cows !? - we are from vermont and can't seem to shake them they are everywhere... on the cruise too !!

my husband and I are sailing on the Oct 30th Gem to Bermuda, our 3rd on NCL, is there any scheduled meet and greet on this sailing? Any " cruise critic" events?? Looking forward to meeting some "fun" guests :):)

Hey Bob & Evan

I guess we'll see you in few weeks. My partner Anne & I will be on our first cruise - we are traveling with my parents and celebrating milestone birthdays - Mom (70) and me (50). We are really looking forward to the R&R - no phone, no laptop. FYI - There is a roll call for this cruise in the general roll call section - some folks are hosting a sail away party (and a meet & greet on monday am) on the Haven Suite deck and there are quite a few folks attending. Seems to be a fairly friendly group - don't know if you are interested. We plan to attend a FOD gathering as well.

Best

Lori & Anne

-- cows !? - we are from vermont and can't seem to shake them they are everywhere... on the cruise too !!

Where and what is the FOD meet and greet on this ship?

Madelane - There is a meet and greet for this cruise on the general NCL- Gem roll calls. The FOD is a friends of Dorothy meeting. My understanding is that there generally are a few listed in the daily calendar of events. I can not tell you any more than that since this will be our first cruise. But it will be fun to learn.....

Lori

• 2 weeks later...

Archived