Using Birth Cert. at embarkation...

thebeas

I cannot get a passport due to child support issues from years ago. State says I still owe. My youngest is 25 years old. I am planning to book a cruise for 10/02/2011 to Bermuda on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. I am reading conflicting rules and regs concerning entry into Bermuda and re-entry to the US. Do I need a passport or can I use Birth Certificate, Enhanced Drivers License or what? Please help. I plan on booking today 08/24/2011.

If you are a US citizen on a closed-loop cruise, you can use a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

From John Heald's FB today:

those guests that dont have passports will be given special dispensation and allowed to join in Barbados and Carnival is arranging all the required paperwork. They join today and I will let you know later how it all went. Cheers

I won't say I told ya so! LOL

those guests that dont have passports will be given special dispensation and allowed to join in Barbados and Carnival is arranging all the required paperwork. They join today and I will let you know later how it all went. Cheers

I kind of figured that this is what would happen. The "closed-loop" exception in the passport law wouldn't be allowed if there weren't provisions for extenuating circumstances such as this.

I personally will not purchase a passport until it is required for a trip that I am taking. It's a matter of comfort level. I am comfortable assuming the slight and rare risk that something would happen where I would need one. It is also my opinion that if something were to happen, then there are ways to handle the exceptions as seen here. I have not seen any cases that would lead me to believe otherwise. People who aren't comfortable with the risk or who think that all kinds of horror will befall them if they sail without one....should get a passport.

17 year olds that don't drive yet?? School Id, birth certificate? Will that work??

My daughter was 14 on our last cruise and the rude and gruff lady at embarkation was giving us a really hard time that we didn't have a picture ID for her. One of her questions was "how do I know this birth certificate belongs to her?" after much pleading our case, she grudgingly let us board. while walking away, My husband and I looked at each other and both said at the same time "like we would kidnap a random kid and take her on a cruise" sheesh, some people. Our cruise was off to a rocky start but we soon got over it.

Not too long after we arrived home, we went to the DMV and got a state ID for her. It's really a good idea anyway but this experience made us do it.

I kind of figured that this is what would happen. The "closed-loop" exception in the passport law wouldn't be allowed if their weren't provisions for extenuating circumstances such as this.

I personally will not purchase a passport until it is required for a trip that I am taking. It's a matter of comfort level. I am comfortable assuming the slight and rare risk that something would happen where I would need one. It is also my opinion that if something were to happen, then there are ways to handle the exceptions as seen here. I have not seen any cases that would lead me to believe otherwise. People who aren't comfortable with the risk or who think that all kinds of horror will befall them if they sail without one....should get a passport.

My feelings exactly. ;)

I have always said that she requires her clients to have a passport when they travel outside the country.....

No you haven't. You said she did when we were talking about a closed loop cruise. Your TA wouldn't have to require a person to have a passport to travel to an outside country. Don't know if you heard or not, but the goverment kind of requires that one, if you are not on a closed loop cruise.

I cannot get a passport due to child support issues from years ago. State says I still owe. My youngest is 25 years old. I am planning to book a cruise for 10/02/2011 to Bermuda on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. I am reading conflicting rules and regs concerning entry into Bermuda and re-entry to the US. Do I need a passport or can I use Birth Certificate, Enhanced Drivers License or what? Please help. I plan on booking today 08/24/2011.

As long as you don't have a warrant out on you.......regardless if you use just use a birth cert. there might be a problem when you get back to home port.

Awesome! As I would assume also......

No you haven't. You said she did when we were talking about a closed loop cruise. Your TA wouldn't have to require a person to have a passport to travel to an outside country. Don't know if you heard or not, but the goverment kind of requires that one, if you are not on a closed loop cruise.

Which take you out of the country right:confused: This has nothing to do with what the government requires.....this is her own home based business and she runs it the way she sees fit....if she see's the practicality in having a passport while you are out of the country that is her prerogative. Nobody has to do business with her.......not sure why that bothers you.

Yes I know the government requires a passport to travel outside the country excluding closed loop cruises. When I mean SHE requires them it is because SHE needs the info for booking.......comprendo:confused:

What does this mean?

Those with passports flew to the ship yesterday, right?

Now the guests without passports will be allowed to join in Barbados, but how are they getting there? :confused:

Which take you out of the country right This has nothing to do with what the government requires.....this is her own home based business and she runs it the way she sees fit....if she see's the practicality in having a passport while you are out of the country that is her prerogative. Nobody has to do business with her.......not sure why that bothers you.

Yes I know the government requires a passport to travel outside the country excluding closed loop cruises. When I mean SHE requires them it is because SHE needs the info for booking.......comprendo

Why are you two still fighting about this? :)

ok! now we have the facts. still want to disagree over passports? as i stated before this falls under special circumstances!

I think the real lesson here is --- get to the port early!

First off, let me say I am so happy for those cruisers that are going to be able to get to Barbados and meet up with the ship! My opinion is that there seems to be so many different scenarios on what documentation you need to travel with- birth certificate, raised seal or not, certificate of live birth, marriage certificate, social security, government issued photo ID etc.... whether it is from the cruise ship web-site, travel agents, etc.... also, varying information on if you are on a closed-loop cruise, or getting on one place and getting off another. IMHO it just seems to me that the most worry-free thing to do is just get a passport. That way, if you are on a cruise and a hurricane or some other event beyond your control happens....you are good to go NO MATTER WHAT!!! Again, this is just my opinion. I know there are those of you out there that that have stated that you are not getting a passport until it becomes mandatory by the cruiselines. I say---that is certainly your right. I personally just don't want to have to worry about it. I have my passport and I can go on my cruise and know that the documentation I have is all I need. Just my two cents!

Vicki

Get a Passport and buy travel insurance. I had a friend who slipped on deck of the ship on Grand Caymen and had to be hositalized.then had to fly home stateside for futher medical care, missing the rest of her cruise. with out a passport to get back into the USA it would have been a nightmare. Oh and don't count on suing carnival to recoop your losses, read the small print on your ticket info.

Get a Passport and buy travel insurance. I had a friend who slipped on deck of the ship on Grand Caymen and had to be hositalized.then had to fly home stateside for futher medical care, missing the rest of her cruise. with out a passport to get back into the USA it would have been a nightmare. Oh and don't count on suing carnival to recoop your losses, read the small print on your ticket info.

Ouch!

Update from JH on the status of the passengers who were not able to join Victory in San Juan:

Re the Carnival Victory - I had some information that some people who were unable to baord the port was closed and the ship left have arrived in Barbados and are being looked after. Unfortunatley some who did not have passports were ( and my apologies for the previous incorrect information ) not able to fly and had to return home. I feel awful for them. Ok - time to walk the ship

So there you have it... The passengers who had proper identification (read: Passports) were able to be accommodated and put onto flights heading towards Barbados. The others, oh well, they had to go home.

THIS is why we always cruise with a passport and would never travel with just a birth certificate/government ID.

Which take you out of the country right:confused: This has nothing to do with what the government requires.....this is her own home based business and she runs it the way she sees fit....if she see's the practicality in having a passport while you are out of the country that is her prerogative. Nobody has to do business with her.......not sure why that bothers you.

Yes I know the government requires a passport to travel outside the country excluding closed loop cruises. When I mean SHE requires them it is because SHE needs the info for booking.......comprendo:confused:

This is the first time you said this. Before it was she required it for a closed loop cruise. :confused::confused:

Update from JH on the status of the passengers who were not able to join Victory in San Juan:

Re the Carnival Victory - I had some information that some people who were unable to baord the port was closed and the ship left have arrived in Barbados and are being looked after. Unfortunatley some who did not have passports were ( and my apologies for the previous incorrect information ) not able to fly and had to return home. I feel awful for them. Ok - time to walk the ship

So there you have it... The passengers who had proper identification (read: Passports) were able to be accommodated and put onto flights heading towards Barbados. The others, oh well, they had to go home.

THIS is why we always cruise with a passport and would never travel with just a birth certificate/government ID.

Glad that question is finally settled.

To be perfectly honest, I had hoped for a different outcome for those poor passport-less people who never made it to the Victory.

The worst case scenario might seem silly until it happens to you. :eek:

Happy cruising everyone!

Glad that question is finally settled.

To be perfectly honest, I had hoped for a different outcome for those poor passport-less people who never made it to the Victory.

The worst case scenario might seem silly until it happens to you. :eek:

Happy cruising everyone!

I agree! Good thing for my friends I have a pro active TA:D

Mea Culpa :o

As long as you are doing a closed loop cruise (departing/returning from same U.S. port) you can use your B.C. and U.S. gov't I.D. (reg. driver's license is fine).

However, keep in mind that if for any reason you miss the ship, you won't be able to fly to a foreign port without a passport. If you are comfortable with taking that chance, then go for it. If I were you, I'd arrive a day early just to make sure. If I were doing any shore excursions, I'd either give myself plenty of time to get back to the ship or book the excursions through the ship since they will never sail without you.

You wouldn't want to be left at the dock of a foreign country if you don't have a passport for the same reason you don't want to miss departing w/ the ship from a U.S. port. (Of course you wouldn't want to be left at the dock WITH a passport, either!) :D

Good luck! Enjoy your cruise!!! :)

In a case like the Victory cruise that left early it turns out it would have been proactive for your TA to force her clients to get passports.

Bill

Nobody can force anyone to do anything unless of course you put a gun to their head:D And I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone that would do that:p

As long as you are doing a closed loop cruise (departing/returning from same U.S. port) you can use your B.C. and U.S. gov't I.D. (reg. driver's license is fine).

However, keep in mind that if for any reason you miss the ship, you won't be able to fly to a foreign port without a passport. If you are comfortable with taking that chance, then go for it. If I were you, I'd arrive a day early just to make sure. If I were doing any shore excursions, I'd either give myself plenty of time to get back to the ship or book the excursions through the ship since they will never sail without you.

You wouldn't want to be left at the dock of a foreign country if you don't have a passport for the same reason you don't want to miss departing w/ the ship from a U.S. port. (Of course you wouldn't want to be left at the dock WITH a passport, either!) :D

Good luck! Enjoy your cruise!!! :)

That just made me laugh:p

Archived