Orvieto & Montepulciano Wine Tour

account4fun

Hi - Does anyone have experience with Rome Cabs wine tour to Orvieto and Montepulciano? The description on their website sounds terrific but I've seen other posts here saying it's too far a distance for a day trip from Rome. We are staying in Rome pre-cruise so we don't have to worry about ship times or anything.

Anyone have experiences to share??

We have been to both those places (more then once) although we had our own rental car. Can it be done on a day tour from Rome? Yes. But keep in mind that Montepulciano is at least a 2 hour drive (each way) from Rome. Orvieto is somewhat closer (about 1 1/2 hours each way). What makes the tour workable is that both cities are along a similar route. So if you do not mind driving for 4 1/2 - 5 hours during your day tour (much of it on a boring Autostrade) then the tour might be nice to give you a taste of Italy outside Rome.

Hank

We were going to do that tour with Rome Cabs last summer. It was at the end of our cruise, so they picked us up at the port. We went to Orvieto, which was fabulous, but there seemed to be some disconnect with the driver that we had, and he wasn't too keen on Montepulciano, even though that's the tour we had requested. He explained the distance, etc., and gave us some options for other things to do that day after Orvieto. As much as I would have wanted to go to Montepulciano, it did seem to make some sense not to, and we did have a very nice day. I think that it can be done, but it is a lot of driving. If you do it, I'd be sure that they know that you want both.

On another note, despite the mix up above, we really do like Rome Cabs/Stefano Rome tours. We've used them for other things, and they've been great.

The entire Roman countryside is filled with small hill towns and wineries - there are much closer places you could go and have a similar experience. For example, you could go to the Frascati vineyard and Pallavicini vineyard on this inexpensive Viator tour:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Frascati-Wine-Tasting-Tour-from-Rome/d511-3731GODS

or you could go to the Castelli Romani Vineyards on this tour:

http://www.wheninrometours.com/Tours/Private-Tours/Castelli-Romani-Wine-Tour.html

I would do a custom tour and combine a wine tasting experience with Bomarzo and Villa Lante or Villa Farnese or even head over to Lake Bracciano - but have the driver take you to a great Italian restaurant for lunch - the kind that doesn't even have menus in English and that serves the local salumi and other products and wine.

Last May, my husband and I used this company:

http://bestourofitaly.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=44

The guide was a local who was very excited to show us these magical places and we had about the best day of our entire lives touring with him! REALLY amazing! I can't say enough good things about this company. Anyway, just a thought for you.

We went to Lake Braccino, and we went to Citva De Banvereggio (I know I just really mangled that one -- forgive me). We also had lunch at a great place in Orvieto and did a wine tasting there. It was a nice day, but we just never made it to Montepulciano.

I want to be clear about my post, after reading a few of the other comments. If we are talking about a 2 hour driving radius from Rome there are hundreds of other places one can go other then the OPs tour to Ovieto and Montepulciano. But since the OP specifically asked about this tour that is what we responded to in our post. The reality is that both Orvieto and Montepulciano are delightful small hill towns in the region. And yes, there are other hill towns, other "not" hill towns, other places that do not have wine (such as Tivoli), other places that have wine that are not near a nice hill town, etc. And sure, there are Italian restaurants all over Italy (some of the best are right in Rome), but this is not the question asked by the OP :) Perhaps I am being a bit rude, but we often see threads get totally off-topic.

Hank

Hi - Does anyone have experience with Rome Cabs wine tour to Orvieto and Montepulciano? The description on their website sounds terrific but I've seen other posts here saying it's too far a distance for a day trip from Rome. We are staying in Rome pre-cruise so we don't have to worry about ship times or anything.

Anyone have experiences to share??

We did not use Rome Cabs, but we were in Montepulciano last month. We flew into Rome and took the train to Chiusi, where we picked up our rental car.

We stayed at a wonderful agriturismo (farm house) in Montepulciano - Villa Mazzi. Website: http://www.villamazzi.it/azienda.en.php

We LOVED Montepulciano, and will return there some day. The town itself is similar to many of the other hill towns, but the "feel" of it was magical.

Our farmhouse had the most spectacular view of Montepulciano.

Since you are planning a precruise stay in Rome, you may want to consider adding a couple of days in Montepulciano. It is a convenient "home base" to explore the other hill towns, which are very close by. You can visit wineries in many of the small villages.

If you are interested, you can get a lot of information on driving in Italy at the SlowTrav website. http://www.slowtrav.com/Italy/

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your visit to Tuscany. It is so beautiful.

This was taken from our farmhouse.

6039681859_0f647699f1_z.jpg

Montepulciano - the view from our farmhouse by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

We have been to both those places (more then once) although we had our own rental car. Can it be done on a day tour from Rome? Yes. But keep in mind that Montepulciano is at least a 2 hour drive (each way) from Rome. Orvieto is somewhat closer (about 1 1/2 hours each way). What makes the tour workable is that both cities are along a similar route. So if you do not mind driving for 4 1/2 - 5 hours during your day tour (much of it on a boring Autostrade) then the tour might be nice to give you a taste of Italy outside Rome.

Hank

Hummm...I didn't mind the drive because I thought it would be scenic and through the country...now you have given me something to think about.

I was given an option to go to Castelli Romani but they didn't really have a tour outlined (other then I could do whatever I wanted) and I didn't want to spend $$$$ unless I really knew what I was getting. I do like the idea of seeing the hills towns of Tuscany but maybe Castelli Romani is a closer and still just as nice choice??

Hummm...I didn't mind the drive because I thought it would be scenic and through the country...now you have given me something to think about.

I was given an option to go to Castelli Romani but they didn't really have a tour outlined (other then I could do whatever I wanted) and I didn't want to spend $$$$ unless I really knew what I was getting. I do like the idea of seeing the hills towns of Tuscany but maybe Castelli Romani is a closer and still just as nice choice??

Let me explain the road situation. Once you get out of Rome you will be on the very heavily traveled A1 road which is the main highway that connects Rome to Florence. This road is anything but scenic although you do get to see some towns and hills in the distance. As you near Orvieto you do get to see that town up on the nearby hill, and the last few miles (once you get off the A1) do get scenic. Driving further north to Montepulciano is similar (mostly on the A1) except you do get to see more of the region once you exit the A1. We have a love/hate relationship with the A1 and it's kind of like we feel about I95 along the east coast. These major highways let you get from Point A to Point B quite fast, but they are somewhat boring. We used to drive very fast on that A1 highway (about 100 MPH) but the Italians have now learned something nasty from the Brits, and its about the wonders of "speed cameras." Hence, we can no longer speed on that A1 which does make us a bit sad :)

Hank

An enthusiastic vote for Castelli Romani. It's a lovely area with many of the same sights/sites that make Tuscany appealing: hill towns, wineries, and a lake. Castelli Romani has the bonus of being the location of the summer papal palace, Castel Gandolfo. In a choice between a five hour drive to do an Orvieto/Montepulciano wine tour and drive that's one fourth the time to Castelli Romani, I know which destination I'd choose.

Now, if you're talking about taking a train to Orvieto only and remaining within the town, my decision probably tilts in favor of Orvieto.

Definitely a case of your mileage may vary!!!

An enthusiastic vote for Castelli Romani. It's a lovely area with many of the same sights/sites that make Tuscany appealing: hill towns, wineries, and a lake. Castelli Romani has the bonus of being the location of the summer papal palace, Castel Gandolfo. In a choice between a five hour drive to do an Orvieto/Montepulciano wine tour and drive that's one fourth the time to Castelli Romani, I know which destination I'd choose.

Now, if you're talking about taking a train to Orvieto only and remaining within the town, my decision probably tilts in favor of Orvieto.

Definitely a case of your mileage may vary!!!

Is going to Castelli Romani an all day tour...i.e are there enough wineries, towns etc for a full day? I'm trying to work with both RIL and Rome Cabs but they are pretty vague on an outlined plan and I'm nervous about booking a 500 Euro trip without knowing a little more of what we will get.

Also can you explain why your decision would change about a train to Orvieto and staying in the town?

Am going to jump-in about trains since we always travel independently when in Italy. If you wanted to simply go to Orvieto (a really nice hill town) for a few hours it is easy and cheap by train. For example, you could take the 8:22 from Rome Termini which would get you into Orvieto at 9:31 just as things are beginning to open. Then you could take the 2:13pm or 4:13 pm train back to Rome (gets you back to Rome in about 1hr 10 min. Total cost round trip for the train is 29 Euros (2nd class). Once in Orvieto you can walk everywhere in the small town.

Hank

Is going to Castelli Romani an all day tour...i.e are there enough wineries, towns etc for a full day? I'm trying to work with both RIL and Rome Cabs but they are pretty vague on an outlined plan and I'm nervous about booking a 500 Euro trip without knowing a little more of what we will get.

Also can you explain why your decision would change about a train to Orvieto and staying in the town?

You can make a tour through Castelli Romani an all-day trip or you can create a shorter version. Here's a list of questions that will help you get an answer that makes you happy: Does stopping to take views appeal to you -- a lot? a little? (There are lots of possibilities throughout the region.) Are you going to take a tour of one/more of the Frascati region wineries? Are you going to want a leisurely sit-down lunch in a restaurant? Are you going to tour any of the important villas? Are you going to want to visit the Bernini fountain? Are you going to want to visit the amphitheater ruins?

Finally, what month will you be making this trip because Spring brings a strawberry festival and October brings a grape festival in the region. Clearly, a stop at one of these will take time.

Since the tour companies are being too vague for your comfort, present them with a list of places and activities that appeal to you. The companies should be able to shape your wish list into a practical itinerary. Perhaps some of the choices you've made won't work, but hearing your ideas will help them create a great day for you.

Orvieto! Sigh! Please find picture of the town of Orvieto perched on a plateau that rises straight up from the plains and you'll know why people enthusiastically recommend a visit there. You can spend hours simply taking views of the surrounding countryside. If Florence is the Rensiassance city and Rome is the ancient and Baroque city, Orvieto is the medieval city. You could spend an appealing day doing nothing more than strolling the streets -- very atmospheric. Even if you skip the archaeological museum and the many churches, definitely visit the duomo! Add in a nice lunch to experience the regional food and wine of of Umbria. Does this answer your question why I'm enthusiastic about Orvieto?

Incidentally, the train ride from Rome/Termini is about 70 minutes via an IC train. You'll arrive at the train station below the town and take a funicular ride up to the town.

You can make a tour through Castelli Romani an all-day trip or you can create a shorter version. Here's a list of questions that will help you get an answer that makes you happy: Does stopping to take views appeal to you -- a lot? a little? (There are lots of possibilities throughout the region.) Are you going to take a tour of one/more of the Frascati region wineries? Are you going to want a leisurely sit-down lunch in a restaurant? Are you going to tour any of the important villas? Are you going to want to visit the Bernini fountain? Are you going to want to visit the amphitheater ruins?

We love great scenery and are amateur photographers so views are important! We hope to visit multiple wineries in any region we go to and are hoping for vineyard tours/meeting the family etc as a nice bonus! A nice relaxing lunch would be great.

Upon looking futher I'm thinking maybe we just go to the Orvieto area....I have been reading about Decugnano dei Barbi which looks fabulous and is right up our alley! I think having never been to Europe before when I see small towns i'm not sure if it would keep us "busy" for an entire day. And being an uptight uber-planner I'm trying to have every last detail lined up and I'm starting to realize that's not the right approach in Europe...:D

We will be in Rome next June.

We are planning on renting a car in Rome and drive to Oreivto. Will explore. The area for a couple of days and the drive to the port where we drop the car off. Would love to hear any ideas or suggestions on this. Is there a scenic drive to Oreivto.or must we drive on the A1. Ideas about what not to miss, hotels or eating out? We have been to Rome a few times so that is not in our plans. Thanks Sue

Bump. Really would like to know.

Now you got my interest so we pulled out our very detailed Michelin map book (covers every inch of Italy) and took a look. But keep in mind we have not tried this particular route. If you had a lot of time you could drive up via some back roads that take you near a couple of scenic Lakes (Lago di Bracciano and Lago de Vico). Michelin marks those areas with a "green" route which means its supposed to be scenic. Going this direction would also mean you get to drive through the town of Viterbo (there used to be a contributor on this board who was an expat American living in that small city). But you would need a GPS or decent map to find the roads. The key is to leave the Rome Ring Road on the S2 (this is exit #3) which gets you heading the right direction and then you quickly need to use the little back roads. It might be fun...or it might be a big bust! We do not have the foggiest idea...but it is certainly the kind of drive that DW and I would make for fun. If you use these roads and eventually end up in Viterbo, you would want to jump back on the S2 (this road we have driven) up to Bolsena and then turn right onto the S71 which would take you the back way into Orvieto. Ok Sue, now aren't you sorry you asked ")

Hank

P.S. We asume you are aware that much of central Rome (and some other areas) are restricted ZTLs. If you are renting a car in the city make sure you know the route out of the city that avoids those ZTLs or you are in for a nasty surprise on a future credit card bill. The rental car office ought to be able to give you a safe route...but you never know :)

P.S. We asume you are aware that much of central Rome (and some other areas) are restricted ZTLs. If you are renting a car in the city make sure you know the route out of the city that avoids those ZTLs or you are in for a nasty surprise on a future credit card bill. The rental car office ought to be able to give you a safe route...but you never know :)

When we rent a car, we're reluctant to do any driving in central Rome or central Florence. Between the ZTLs and the traffic density, we look for another solution. Typically, we pick up our car up at a suburban branch of whatever car company we're using. We take a taxi out to the suburbs and drive out of town from this less central location. We're willing to pay the taxi costs as the price of less stressful start to our rental. Works for us!

When we rent a car, we're reluctant to do any driving in central Rome or central Florence. Between the ZTLs and the traffic density, we look for another solution. Typically, we pick up our car up at a suburban branch of whatever car company we're using. We take a taxi out to the suburbs and drive out of town from this less central location. We're willing to pay the taxi costs as the price of less stressful start to our rental. Works for us!

Interesting, but not always necessary depending on where you rent the car. We agree that it is not wise to normally drive in central Rome or Florence, but it is usually possible to drive directly from most rental car agencies out of town (that is why I suggested asking them the best route). The major problem in Rome is that many of the hotels are located within one of the ZTLs, which can be a major hassle if you want to drive to or from your hotel (it can still be done but your hotel has to notify the police). In Florence, where we often drive when on driving trips, we have learned a non ZTL route to our favorite hotel (Hotel David) where they have free parking. We leave our car at the hotel and use our feet and public buses to get around the city. One shocker for many tourists is that Pisa has a ZTL (many folks do not know about this one) which makes it tricky to drive near the Tower.

Hank

Interesting, but not always necessary depending on where you rent the car. We agree that it is not wise to normally drive in central Rome or Florence, but it is usually possible to drive directly from most rental car agencies out of town (that is why I suggested asking them the best route). The major problem in Rome is that many of the hotels are located within one of the ZTLs, which can be a major hassle if you want to drive to or from your hotel (it can still be done but your hotel has to notify the police). In Florence, where we often drive when on driving trips, we have learned a non ZTL route to our favorite hotel (Hotel David) where they have free parking. We leave our car at the hotel and use our feet and public buses to get around the city. One shocker for many tourists is that Pisa has a ZTL (many folks do not know about this one) which makes it tricky to drive near the Tower.

Hank

Our driving trips tend not to include cities and also tend to be more regional. For example, one of our driving trips began after a week in Florence. We picked up our car at the suburban branch best located for our drive into Umbria. We stayed for a week in a wonderful apartment in Assisi and made daily driving trips throughout Umbria.

Assisi is a great place to stay with a car: acres and acres of modern parking lots surrounding the central historic district. We could always park close to the Basilica since we'd return to Assisi after the day trippers had left.

At the end of that trip, we returned the car to the suburban branch and took a taxi to the Florence airport. (My best recollection of the suburban drop off was that the company had an insane surcharge for the airport drop off; even the taxi ride to the airport wasn't as expensive as the surcharge.)

Thanks everyone. We do have a gps for europe. Drove around England and France three weeks last fall. Love your idea Hank. We would get the car at the airport and head on out . That would not be a problem with ZTL's? Sue

No problem if getting your car out at FCO. You never get any closer to Rome then the Ring Road :)

Hank

Hank

First night booked in Viterbo. Not that far but close enough after an all night flight.

First night booked in Viterbo. Not that far but close enough after an all night flight.

Now that is interesting to us. We have driven through Viterbo on several ocassions, but never stopped in the town. I did look at some old info I still have to find the name of the CC contributor who lives (or used to live) in Viterbo. Her name is Mary Jane Cryan and I seem to recall she has actually writen some articles (and perhaps a book) about the region. I do have her old e-mail but think posting it here would be inappropriate. If you have any interest in Mary you might want to Google her name. If you want to contact her and cannot find an e-mail let me know here are we will try to figure out how to get you her e-mail address. When we last saw her on CC she was a real advocate for her town and its surrounding region.

Hank

We are actually thinking of heading to Viterbo for a while pre-cruise in October. We're staying in Civitavecchia and renting a car for the day. I figure that we'll start in Tarquinia and then possibly continue on to Viterbo. It looks interesting. Any suggestions?

Archived