Drink packages on RCI

golfb4cruzing

My wife and I had the package on our Celebrity Eclipse cruise last year and loved it. Paid ahead of time and didn't need to worry about the S&S card all week. Plus if you don't like a drink, no biggie, just get another. :) I was sad to learn Carnival doesn't offer this option. So I bought Bon voyage instead.

We purchased a regular (for me) and a premium package for my husband. Loved it. We normally spend about $700 on drinks on a cruise. With the package we found we drank wine with dinner and after dinner coffees which we normally wouldn't buy. It also included bottled water when you were getting off on the islands. Loved it and hope that Carnival implements this before our March 2013 cruise.....

Yes and both people in the cabin have to buy the package so double that. OUCH is all I can say.

That part wasn't true for our 2 Celebrity cruises last year. Maybe the rules changed. FWIW, the "sharing" threads on the Celebrity board get just as nasty as the "smuggling" threads do here.

Is this different?? The package starting price was just for beer or wine and only in europe for RCL last I read. Different price points for what you wanted.

Not sure about RCL as we were on Celebrity but both parties in a room did not have to buy it. It just happened we both wanted it.

Ours included specialty coffee's, bottled water and drinks and we certainly got our money worth. Need to change my habits for our cruise on the Pride.

Is this different?? The package starting price was just for beer or wine and only in europe for RCL last I read. Different price points for what you wanted.

Celebrity rolled their packages out in early Spring 2010, then made a few tweaks that added the non-alcohol bevs as part of the AI alcohol package a little later.

Celebrity rolled their packages out in early Spring 2010, then made a few tweaks that added the non-alcohol bevs as part of the AI alcohol package a little later.

Yes! We got the AI premium package on our celeb cruise last June and LOVED it. Was about $700 for two of us for the week & included everything. Specialty coffees, frozen drinks, evian, red bull, all premium liquor, wine & champagne with dinner, pretty much anything you wanted!!

We both got our own but I do know others who "shared".

I loooove this idea! When I'm on vacation, I like to start the day with mimosas and pina coladas, beer in the afternoon, wine and champagne in the evening. DH and I would definitely get our money's worth out of such a plan. It's one of the reasons I prefer an AI resort vacation to a cruise. I have to excercise too much self-control on a cruise, to watch the S/S bill! LOL :eek:

Yes! We got the AI premium package on our celeb cruise last June and LOVED it. Was about $700 for two of us for the week & included everything. Specialty coffees, frozen drinks, evian, red bull, all premium liquor, wine & champagne with dinner, pretty much anything you wanted!!

We both got our own but I do know others who "shared".

My DH and I would save money with this. The wine package, which only includes 5 bottles of wine is approx $165, so this would really be a great deal.

I bet there would be alot less smuggling with this package.

The reasons you will probably never see it on a Carnival ship

1) Anyone buying this, has run the numbers and see it as a cost savings measure. Since liquor is a HUGE revenue stream for Carnival, they would be losing money offering their biggest drinkers a discount on a individual basis.

2) People usually will get more drinks than normal, to feel like they are getting the most bang for their buck.

3) Sharing....people are already sharing with the soda card, cant imagine how rampant sharing would be when you are talking about liquor.

1) Anyone buying this, has run the numbers and see it as a cost savings measure. Since liquor is a HUGE revenue stream for Carnival, they would be losing money offering their biggest drinkers a discount on a individual basis.

2) People usually will get more drinks than normal, to feel like they are getting the most bang for their buck.

3) Sharing....people are already sharing with the soda card, cant imagine how rampant sharing would be when you are talking about liquor.

1 - then they could raise prices very slightly, to 'spread the burden' to all of those that would brag about spending no more than 20.00 on their SS. and not sack it to such a ridiculous degree to those that do, and will still, willfully spend while on the cruise (this being what really creates the profit margin - the customer base that spends beyond the cost of their cabin).

also, many would buy it for the peace of mind, of not having to worry about that bill. many will not consume what they paid for. and regardless, it would be only an option. those that don't realize the value, won't buy it again. so be it.

2 - no, i wouldn't. trust me. i just wouldn't have the sticker shock at a 50.00+ round. and for that, i would feel more loyal to the company, and better enjoy the customer experience. and be more likely to come back :)

also, a lot may indulge in the first night or two ('yay, i'm on vacation') but i think most people tend to chill out after the newness wears off.

further, those who willfully spend onboard, would perhaps buy more photos and stuff from the shops, etc., with any potential 'savings'.

3 - well, that's just poor form. people should buy their own...

1 - then they could raise prices very slightly, to 'spread the burden' to all of those that would brag about spending no more than 20.00 on their SS. and not sack it to such a ridiculous degree to those that do, and will still, willfully spend while on the cruise (this being what really creates the profit margin - the customer base that spends beyond the cost of their cabin).

also, many would buy it for the peace of mind, of not having to worry about that bill. many will not consume what they paid for. and regardless, it would be only an option. those that don't realize the value, won't buy it again. so be it.

2 - no, i wouldn't. trust me. i just wouldn't have the sticker shock at a 50.00+ round. and for that, i would feel more loyal to the company, and better enjoy the customer experience. and be more likely to come back :)

also, a lot may indulge in the first night or two ('yay, i'm on vacation') but i think most people tend to chill out after the newness wears off.

further, those who willfully spend onboard, would perhaps buy more photos and stuff from the shops, etc., with any potential 'savings'.

You want Carnival to raise cruise fares????? I think the current business model of letting people pay for the extras that they want is working great for Carnival.

From a consumer standpoint, the drink package sounds nice, but not from most mass market cruiselines.

Its interesting that even Royal doesn't allow this to happen on it Royal ships in the Caribbean. They have enough data to know the difference in liquor purchases on X as opposed to RCCL.

The sharing was also an issue on X, there is really no way you can stop it.

News story about Royal Carribean and Celebrity offering packages for 308/pp per week. Top shelf package starts at 380/pp for the week. We couldn't drink that much but it should be coming soon to a Carnival near you.

is this an update of a roll out? last i had heard, they had put this on three ships sailing in europe, and then they cancelled it on one of them. heard / read nothing since.

personally, i would want to be on a ship that had "free" booze. just look at people how they eat with "free" food, and you'll get the idea.

and why would anyone on carnival pay that if it's ever instituted when you can buy a bottle for $40 to $60, or take one on for $10 to $20?

is this an update of a roll out? last i had heard, they had put this on three ships sailing in europe, and then they cancelled it on one of them. heard / read nothing since.

personally, i would want to be on a ship that had "free" booze. just look at people how they eat with "free" food, and you'll get the idea.

and why would anyone on carnival pay that if it's ever instituted when you can buy a bottle for $40 to $60, or take one on for $10 to $20?

oops! meant to say "not" be on a ship with this option offered, especially carnival.

On Celebrity - the package was tied to your card. So if you and your husband go to the piano bar at night you could only get one drink with the card that had the package. I liked knowing that my drinks were prepaid so I wouldn't have to worry about how high my S & S card was getting. Just me!

I read the article on MSNBC yesterday and it's still out there today. Typical article with few hard facts and dates. Thought it could be a nice option. Smugglers will always smuggle (for the thrill) and drinkers will always drink. Royal does it for the AI feel. They are probably trying to pull from that market.

RCCL is currently testing the package on select European sailings. Their packages are different from X. The premium is more expensive than X, but does not include such extras as premium coffee drinks.

On RCCL everyone in the party of legal age has to buy the package, however parents of children over 18 but under 21 can sign an opt-out waiver for their children and not buy the package for their children. I assume that drinking age in Europe is 18 and this is why this rule exist. In addition, certain medical conditions will allow some people in the party to opt out.

I would certainly buy X package. X premium package is $54 per day. Keep in mind that X has much larger selection of drinks, including premium (and very tasty) martinis at reasonable prices ($10 - $12). In addition, premium coffee drinks (espresso and cappuccino are not included in MDR dinner). X does not require everyone in the party to purchase the package.

Why should they increase their fares? Why should non drinkers have to pay extra to compensate for the money that the drinkers are costing the cruise ship?

Archived