First cruise - looking for information (RCC and/or Carnival)

Piggeldy

Hi everyone,

we are currently planing our first "real" cruise (cruised Hurtigruten for our Honeymoon in 2008 but I guess an 800 passenger vessel can hardly be called a cruiseship :D) which will hopefully be a TA in 2012.

DH has mild CP which mostly affects his left side but really all limbs, does not use a wheelchair but shouldn't be standing for a long time (had his first stress fracture this year and was told it was likely to happen again due to malformation) and tends to stumble/fall due to balance problems.

We will not need an HC cabin but one with a shower as it's a pain to get him into (and especially out of) a tub.

We have been looking into RCC's Adventure of the Seas and Carnival's Breeze (only two itineraries that are interesting to us while being reasonably priced). All information I have so far been able to find on AoS is that their balcony cabins have "Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony, sitting area and a private bathroom" - from most pictures it appears that this bathroom has a shower, unfortunately the only floorplan on our national RCC website shows a tub. Can anyone confirm that they have showers? How about the Breeze (I know she hasn't been build yet, but somebody might have traveld the Dream?)?

We were thinking about getting a cabin close to the elevators, will those be very noisy due to people walking by or talk while waiting infront of the elevator?

How will embarkation work?

Both cruises embark from Spain (Barcelona and Malaga)... will he be able to sit down while I wait in line and then just join me to check in? Or is embarkation like waiting at an airport with very little possibilities to sit down? Can I check both of us in?

Will we be frowned upon because we travel with trekking backpacks :o? We got some very strange looks when embarking, and especially when disembarking, in Bergen. But a large backpack has so far proven to be best when traveling as he can't carry a suitcase or larger/heavier carry-all, especially not up or down stairs.

He can't carry a coffee cup or a full glass well. If we buy a soda card for him (it's highly unlikely that I will get one), will I be able to get sodas for him or will he have to get them himself as it's in his name?

Are there trays in the buffet style restaurants so that I can carry both our plates? Will I be able to get food for both of us (e.g. at Breeze's Sushi Bar, can I just order for two)?

Also, he can't go down the stairs without a hand rail. I expect we are rather unlikely to come across any on a ship or when disembarking at ports, right?

Is there anything else we should be aware of? Anything I might just not see because I haven't been in the situation, yet?

Totally unrelated question, which I should likely ask on another board, but as I am here and you are all experienced travelers: English is not our native language... is it likely that we will be seated with other people of our nationality for dinner (supposing were are not the only ones)? DH hasn't spoken English in years and I think he'd feel left out at an English speaking table whereas tablemates might find it impolite if a) we/he didn't talk to them at all or b) just spoke German and exclude them from understanding what we say?

I have to admit, I am a worrier. But we have never been on a ship that size and I don't do well with new (=uncertain and unpredictable) situations. Neither do I do well with crowds and stangers but I guess I'll have to face that challenge :D

I have not traveled Royal, but from looking at deck plans/cabin diagrams and descriptions on cruisedeckplans.com, it appears all cabin categories below junior suite will have shower only. Suites and up have tub/showers. The same will apply to Breeze. Is your husband steady in the shower? There is usually one grab bar in the shower, but the advantage of a handicapped cabin is the seat in the shower - and more grab bars.

I have sailed Carnival a lot, and yes, they have trays in the buffet areas, and wait staff may rush to assist if they see you are unsteady. Also, might I suggest that you take a travel mug with lid that your husband could fill and carry around without worrying about liquids sloshing out?

All stairs will have a handrail. If you have any tender ports, there may not be a railing to get into the tender, but the crew will grab your arm to assist (even if you don't need it!).

Backpacks will not be a problem at all.

Ships are very large and require a lot of walking? Has you husband ever considered a wheeled walker with seat, for those time when he just needs a short rest? It might also help on excursions.

At checkin, there is not usually a place to sit until after you have checked in, if the ship is not ready for boarding. If you arrive a couple of hours after checkin starts, there may not be any lines. If there are long lines, ask an attendant for a wheelchair for your husband. It might even get you in ahead of the line, but that isn't a reason to ask for it. I confess that I have debarked several times in Barcelona, but never begun a cruise there.

I believe Carnival will attempt to seat you with others who speak your language. If they do not, you can speak to the Maitre 'd as ask if it is possible. Or you can go to the dining room after boarding and ask if you have been seated with German speakers.

EM

Thank you very much, Essiesmom!

You were a great help.

The travel mug is a good idea and I wouldn't have thought of that. We bought the "coffee deal" on Hurtigrouten which came with a travel mug with a lid and we still have those.

Yes, my husband is steady in the shower.

Also, walking longish distances is no huge problem. And he'd probably kick me if I only so much as suggested a walker or a wheelchair ;) We know that it is very likely in his future but for now he does fine without (and does a lot to keep it that way) - the only time I have seen him to gladly agree using one is when he went to the hospital for his broken foot. He just shouldn't be standing for longer times (no more soccer matches for him without a seat). We always take bandaids for possible blisters (which seem to always occur on trips due to more walking than usual) but he is very used to those and they heal well, fortunately.

Also, thanks for the cruisedeckplans.com hint! I hadn't come across that side yet. Suites are out of our price range anyways, I guess, so we should be fine.

I guess I'll just have to start to relax. Easier said than done :o

Hi RCCL have a whole depertment dedicated to help, i am travleing on my own with them in Sept. i have similar problems to your hubby and have lots of assistance from them. Like your hubby i can walk but not great distances so they have arranged a wheelchair at the airport both befor and after my flight, also at the port both on and off the ship so no standing in line at any of them. They have also arranged special transfers from airport to port so i dont have to struggle with the steps on the coach. also if you dip into other peoples post on this page you will pick up lots of usefull tips. hope this helps you. jill

Just for future reference, cabins on Celebrity and Princess have only showers until you get to suites, but there are some suites that have both a tub and stall shower. Holland America has showers in all inside cabins, but most OV and verandah cabins have tubs, with a few exception that are clearly marked on the deck plans.

Just for my curiosity...Why are you not considering AIDA cruises? I understand they have spectacular ships, although when I have tried to price them, they seem a bit high. They do some interesting itineraries, but don't visit some major ports, such as Venice. EM

I cruise on RCC regularly, though never on the ship you are considering. Cabins below the suite level have showers only. There is a step up into the bathroom. The shower usually does not have a grab bar, but I've found the hand-held shower head pole can double as one in a pinch. You can also request a shower chair from the cabin steward to make showering easier.

I always book a room near the elevators and noise has never been a problem. Don't worry at all about this!

Embarkation has gone easily for me. There usually is a line designated for handicapped people, and I've always been able to sit close by while my companion stood in line. When my companion reached the front of the line, I would go to the counter to check in. A few times my companion was able to check in for both of us.

I've found that ramps were used for embarkation and debarkation. The ramps had hand rails. Because of my disability, I have always been directed to a lower level for boarding, and the ramp was much lower and had less of an incline. This also sped up the process considerably.

I've used the soda card numerous times. As long as you present the card, you should have no problem getting beverages.

There were no trays in the buffet areas of the ships I have used. I would go to the table and my companion would get food for both of us. The staff in the buffet area were also most helpful and would get beverages for me. Of course, if you dine in the restaurants you won't need to worry about using a tray at all.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Jill, thanks for your help!

We'll most likely have to arrange our own flights but still it's good to hear that there really is assistance from the cruise lines.

Just for future reference, cabins on Celebrity and Princess have only showers until you get to suites, but there are some suites that have both a tub and stall shower. Holland America has showers in all inside cabins, but most OV and verandah cabins have tubs, with a few exception that are clearly marked on the deck plans.

See, that is great to know!

The shower was really one of my main concerns. I am able to help him into a tub and we have done so but it's no big fun in hotels (especially with slippery floors after the shower) and likely even less fun on a moving ship.

Just for my curiosity...Why are you not considering AIDA cruises? I understand they have spectacular ships, although when I have tried to price them, they seem a bit high. They do some interesting itineraries, but don't visit some major ports, such as Venice. EM

Good question.

I guess AIDA here is what Carnival's reputation is/used to be? That of being a "party cruise".

I am certain that's less true for TAs and I have to admit that they offer some extremely interesting itineraries... but I am not paying $3.000+ per person (excluding flights and inside cabin!) if I can have an itinerary we like just as much for less than half of that price!

A guarante balcony with flight to La Romana costs a whopping $10,000 for their March 2012 TA. If I want to chose a cabin their "early saver" price is close to $12,000.

Lovely itinerery, yes! (La Romana, Tortola, Antigua, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, Barbados, Tenerife, Madeira, Lisbon, Vigo, Paris, Hamburg)

And 21 days instead of 16.

And disembarkation in Hamburg.. but no way! If I had that much money we'd be on a HAL Viking passage in 2012.

Their northern itinereries are just as expensive (one is priced at $18,762 in a balcony including flights to Mallorca and from NY) and that is far (!) out of our price range.

On CCL or RCCL, we'll pay about $3.000 for a balcony cabin plus another $1,200 for flights, spend less than half of what Aida or HAL would cost us and likely be just as happy :o

So I guess it boils down to reputation (fortunately not much is known about the reputation of US cruise lines over here :D so we can just experience that for ourselves) and price. And I like American food - sad, isn't it? I'm even excited about CCL's menue change to include meat loaf and Mac&Cheese.

but I've found the hand-held shower head pole can double as one in a pinch.

Just what he uses at home :D so I guess he should be fine.

As for the rest of your post: thank you very very much!

I'll stop worrying (as if...) about the noise problem close to an elevator and your information about embarkation was very helpful!

I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Tremendously!

As I said. I am a worrier. And a perfectionist. I wish I wasn't but that seems to be something I can't help.

the bathrooms are very small. you might consider a handicapped cabin to be sure all the safety issues are addressed in the cabin-especially the bathroom. i recently cruised to bermuda and it was not rough but a much more steady need to balance myself all week. not like the caribbean. don't hesitate to ask for help-if it's rough get a wheelchair to avoid injury. the room stewards are very willing to accomodate anything you ask. they will know where to get help. no matter how much money you are spending you want to be safe and comfortable. rccl will want the same for both of you..have a wonderful trip.

searoses, thank you very much for your comment but I really don't think we need a HC cabin - he is not wheelchair dependent and there is no way we'd want to keep a cabin away from someone who really needs it because he can't do the step to the bathroom or needs room to park a scooter. We'd feel bad just thinking that we might be keeping someone from traveling because we are blocking a HC cabin while we do not "really" need it.

The only reason for us to book an HC cabin would be if all regular cabins of that category had tubs. But as that doesn't seem to be a problem for what we are planning, I don't see a reason to do so.

Hubby survived (and managed quite well) a December Hurtigruten trip with really rough seas (force 10 winds and 20 foot waves). It was a real ride and wonderful :D

There might be limits for him (e.g. carrying a coffee cup, due to his limp or walking down stairs without holding on to something, due to his lack of binocular vision or getting into a tub) but I don't think the Balearic Islands or the Caribbean will be able to come close to what we experienced in Norway. Hurtigruten (carrying fright and day passangers, using the ship as a ferry from port A to port B, in addition to their "cruise" guests) won't divert their ships, they always follow the same itinerery (34 ports, only skipping ports if it becomes impossible to dock), while I guess a real cruise ship would make accomodations and just circumnavigate bad weather where possible.

While I worry a lot, I am 99.9% certain that we will do allright in a regular cabin as long as he doesn't have to climb into an upper bunk or into a tub ;) We have done a number of short "cruises" (to Norway, to Sweden, from Finland to Sweden or Estonia) and never had problems with regards to cabins and/or showering.

Archived