traveling w/diabetes

pettrib

I've been type 2 diabetic since 2003, and more recently also gluten intolerant so it's a double whammy for me on learning what foods I can have and what to avoid. That said, I still find plenty to eat on our cruises and do not go hungry. :) You've gotten lots of good advice from previous posters already, but not sure this one has been mentioned: it's better for diabetics to eat several small meals during the day rather than 3 larger ones. I usually try to eat something every 3 hours or so, even if it's just a wedge of cheese and a little fruit. Eating more often helps keep blood glucose levels more even. Also, yes the alcoholic drinks, especially the frou frou ones do have a lot of sugar. I have found that I enjoy club soda with lime almost as much, so really don't drink much alcohol on our cruises except for maybe one or two special drinks.

Well, Geez Louise!, thanks to all for informing how bad those sugar free desserts are for me. I really did like most of them. But I also liked the creme brulee. Moderation with everything works for me, and yes, walking helps to keep the sugar counts down too. So now I have to get used to the fact that sugar free, is not always good either. Thanks for tips.:)

Pettrib & All ....

I'm a Type 2 which I manage totally by diet. I've never had a problem finding foods I can eat on any cruise line including Carnival without asking for a special menu.

The key is knowing for yourself what you can and can't eat. Understanding (which you do) the "sugar free" things aren't always that good for diabetics ... so you're off to a good start.

It's not really that bad of a thing to do and you'll be able to still eat some favorite no-no foods from time to to time when you get the hang of factoring them into your diet. Good Luck to you!

Good for you. New diabetics tend to turn eating into a stressful JOB (and stress increases BG levels). OP do NOT dwell on eating a perfect diet, eat smaller portions more times a day, skimp on carbs but eat some, you can easily figure out the avoidance of sugar laden foods. Snitch a treat once in a while without going overboard to maintain some normalcy in your past lifetime. As I said, do NOT turn it into a JOB.

Hi All,

I just found out that I am diabetic:( and will be traveling in Nov. on the Pride. Have any other diabetics found Carnival to be accomodating to any dietary needs? Thanks in advance!

I have been a diabetic so long, I don't remember not being one. It is a life style. Monitor your blood often. Educate yourself. Don't be afraid of food. I have been on many cruises, including European cruises. I don't have to avoid any activity. The menues on Carnival or most other cruise lines allow you to eat "right".

I also have never called attention to my situation. One time I was having a "low sugar" problem. I informed my high school students that I needed to adress a diabetic problem. One girl spoke up and said, "You don't look like a diabetic." To this day, I still don't know what a diabetic looks like. My last cruise was on Valor in June. I ate about 1/3 of a chocolate melting cake. I did have to give up another food item. It was worth it. That was the one chocolate I had. Find out how to count your carbs.

Enjoy life.

wow OC Id love to know how you do it...the goal is to get me off of them..your not on Meds?

Since I've never been overweight and no family history, I had to go through a whole series of tests to confirm I was a Type 2 diabetic.

The doctor wanted to put me on a pill but I insisted I try to do it by diet only which I've been able to do for the past several years. No Meds!

Probably, this was easier for me than most because I never liked sweets very much. All I really had to do was faithfully stay on a diabetic/heart friendly diet and space my meals to keep my BSL fairly constant.

I continue to drink several glasses of wine each day when we're cruising ... and sometimes when we're not. :D

• 7 months later...
Pettrib & All ....

I'm a Type 2 which I manage totally by diet. I've never had a problem finding foods I can eat on any cruise line including Carnival without asking for a special menu.

The key is knowing for yourself what you can and can't eat. Understanding (which you do) the "sugar free" things aren't always that good for diabetics ... so you're off to a good start.

It's not really that bad of a thing to do and you'll be able to still eat some favorite no-no foods from time to to time when you get the hang of factoring them into your diet. Good Luck to you!

Just finished my seventh cruise in 3 yrs. I am type 2 and control totally by diet and exercise.

I eat no bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, carrots, peas, and very small amts of beans, tomatoes and onions. I follow Dr. Richard Bernstein plan with 6 carbs for bkfst and 12 per lunch and dinner.

I cannot eat any of the cruise lines "sugar free desserts" too high in carbs. I find the days in port more difficult because most food offered on Lido Deck (other than basic salad vegetables) is filled/covered with carbs. I find more choices in MDR for lunch than Lido options and eat in MDR whenever it is open.

I love cruises because it is difficult for me to travel only because of food options whether in Europe or Latin America and I can always find something on the ship.

Also I don't use the elevator to travel between decks except on Elegant night(s) when I have high heels on; go to the gym every morning and walk the upper deck for 30 minutes after dinner. I am the only person I know who always loses a bit of weight on a cruise..

I do love cruises but as a diabetic I have to avoid what they call "sugar free" they are always loaded with carbohydrates.

I too am an insulin dependant type 2 diabetic. I eat just about anything I want by simply adjusting my insulin intake. One thing I found on cruises, I am better off with a regular dessert off the menu than the "sugar-free" or sugar-less...they load them up with fruit which has a high sugar content. As far as drinking (alcohol) goes, I find I can consume red wine such as cabernet with very little effect but mixed cocktails have too much sugar in the mix. The "stay away from white food" crowd is right....lots of carbs. I have found that the perfect diabetic diet is South Beach......lots of variety, very tasty, and good for ya! I totally agree with Doc about insulin...best thing that happened to me!

Insulin is the way to go-I eat what I want as well, and I resisted for so long to go on insulin!

It seems like lack of sleep increases my blood sugar. Poor sleep increases cortisol which makes blood sugar rise. Does cruising encourage you to sleep less with all of the late night entertainment and early morning activities for parients of children who wake up near dawn? I hope going to Camp Carnival the day before is able to wipe the kids out till late morning atleast.. then maybe I can try the chocolate cake everyone has been writing about on other posts!

It seems like lack of sleep increases my blood sugar. Poor sleep increases cortisol which makes blood sugar rise. Does cruising encourage you to sleep less with all of the late night entertainment and early morning activities for parients of children who wake up near dawn? I hope going to Camp Carnival the day before is able to wipe the kids out till late morning atleast.. then maybe I can try the chocolate cake everyone has been writing about on other posts!

Cruising doesnt really change my sleep habits. If anything I sleep better as I dont have the daily stress onboard that I would have at home. Diabetes is only a hindrance if you allow it to be. I take insulin, so I have to worry about storing it etc. I have a two FRIO cooler sleeves. One will hold one or two pens, and the other will hold 6 (I think). The bags have an inner sleeve that you put in water, and then it expands and keeps the pens cool for days. So, I am covered there...beyond that its making sure I take my insulin when I eat or drink, which is sometimes tough all the time on vacation. I slip here and there, but it is what it is.

Archived