Anyone done a vacation rental for San Juan?

wantocruisemore

to use for pre-cruise instead of a hotel?

We actually prefer places with more space and kitchens (one of our DD is insulin-dependant diabetic & requires a gluten-free diet). The kitchen makes it easier. Did one this summer for our pre-cruise Rome stay and it was perfect.

Any references for places or rental agents would be helpful. I am already checking out HomeAway and VRBO, but they seem limited if we want Old San Juan. They do however seem to have alot of possibilities in the area toward the rainforest.

to use for pre-cruise instead of a hotel?

We actually prefer places with more space and kitchens (one of our DD is insulin-dependant diabetic & requires a gluten-free diet). The kitchen makes it easier. Did one this summer for our pre-cruise Rome stay and it was perfect.

Any references for places or rental agents would be helpful. I am already checking out HomeAway and VRBO, but they seem limited if we want Old San Juan. They do however seem to have alot of possibilities in the area toward the rainforest.

We used a rental apartment in Puerto Rico a couple of years ago, when we sailed on the Caribbean Princess. It was a nice little place right on Calle Sol in Old San Juan. I really enjoyed it, makes you feel more like a part of the neighborhood.

I found our apartment on VRBO (#88413). Kind of an offbeat design...you needed to climb a ladder to the sleeping loft, but the location was great (photos of it are in the Caribbean Princess link in my signature). I just took a look at VRBO, and there seem to be quite a few OSJ apartments available.

If you're not into neighborhood charm, there are also some modern condo complexes just east of OSJ (but still walking distance to the OSJ piers) that show up on Homeaway and VRBO from time to time. I've had family members use them, and enjoy them as well. An example is Homeaway #190028.

The biggest caveat is that most owners don't want to rent for less than 4 nights, but some will deal on shorter rentals during the off season, or if the apartment would otherwise be empty.

Archived