Belize Barrier Reef Snorkel Question

Fairway Cruiser

My DW and I will be enjoying our 7th cruise in September, to the Western Caribbean! Neither of us are confident swimmers and because of that, have never been comfortable to book a snorkeling excursion. I have been reading about the Barrier Reef at Belize, and am considering booking the "Barrier Reef Snorkel with Beach Break" through Carnival. My question(s) to anyone who has taken this excursion: Will we be comfortable enough at this site to try snorkeling for the first time? Is this a good excursion for first time snorkelers?

Thanks for any feedback!

I would try it in Belize. I have snorkeled in almost every port possible. Some of the best water has been in Belize. I can swim but not a pro and never had a issue. Most excursions require you to wear the vests that keep you afloat so I would not worry.

If you would like some pictures posted let me know.

My DW and I will be enjoying our 7th cruise in September, to the Western Caribbean! Neither of us are confident swimmers and because of that, have never been comfortable to book a snorkeling excursion. I have been reading about the Barrier Reef at Belize, and am considering booking the "Barrier Reef Snorkel with Beach Break" through Carnival. My question(s) to anyone who has taken this excursion: Will we be comfortable enough at this site to try snorkeling for the first time? Is this a good excursion for first time snorkelers?

Thanks for any feedback!

If you are NOT a confident swimmer, you might want to consider Goff's Caye instead of the Barrier Reef. My wife and I are experienced swimmers and snorkelers and we found the water in Belize to be more rough than other Caribbean locations. I'd suggest you read my review of snorkeling Belize (with great pictures):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434288

The info on Belize starts at Post #97 on page 5. If you go to Goff's Caye, you can snorkel from the beach--much easier for those who are not confident swimmers in deeper water.

Let me put it to you this way...I wouldn't. We booked a snorkel trip to the reef, and I guess a storm had either just rolled out or was rolling in. Not only did we not see anything, LITERALLY, anything...more than 3" in front of our faces, the swimming was ROUGH going. We had life vests on, but our guides had to almost TOW us back to the boat. If the water and/or weather conditions aren't favorable (and who can predict that), it could be dangerous out there.

I second the Geoffs Cay suggestion. There you can snorkel from the beach. On the reef you cannot stand up, you must swim or float the entire time. Yes, the vests help, but sometimes the cuurent and the waves trump the vest. Both excursions have great snorkeling areas.

I agree with EM Goff's Caye might be a better option. I am a strong swimmer and last time I snorkeled the reef it was very rough, you would tire easily. A plus to Goff's Caye is I think that excursion will pick you up from the ship. Secondly, if you're going to Roatan search Victor Bodden on the web. His people and tours are awesome. You get your own person and a car for the day. They will show the island which is beautiful, and you can snorkel in a cove that you enter from the shore. We usually go there for lunch sit under the trees and read our books and snorkel several times in an afternoon. Good luck and do it you will love it .

Let me put it to you this way...I wouldn't. We booked a snorkel trip to the reef, and I guess a storm had either just rolled out or was rolling in. Not only did we not see anything, LITERALLY, anything...more than 3" in front of our faces, the swimming was ROUGH going. We had life vests on, but our guides had to almost TOW us back to the boat. If the water and/or weather conditions aren't favorable (and who can predict that), it could be dangerous out there.

We had the exact same experience! Saw nothing while snorkeling, and just trying to spot my kids beyond the waves bordered on scary, though the guides were in rowboats close at hand if anyone needed help. I have to say the catamaran ride was a lot of fun and the beach break was awesome! But as to OP's question, I would want to be an experienced confident swimmer in order to book this excursion.

This is not an excursion for the novice snorkeler. You will be in deep water that will likely be very choppy. If you are fighting choppynwater like we have on all three visits to the reef, you are not going to enjoynit unless you are a strong swimmer and proficient in snorkeling. They make you wear a vest and even though I swim a mile four days a week I was sure that weaker swimmers were having a really hard time. Certainly not for the novice.

As you can see by my signature line, we were in Belize just this last April. We chose to do the Goff's Caye Snorkelling and Beach Break. My wife and 5 year old son are novice swimmers and I am proficient but not in the best shape.

When we arrived close to Goff's the crew aboard told us that they didn't advise anyone who didn't possess strong swimming skills to snorkel on the reef instead to go ashore and snorkel from the beach.

My wife and son did that while I chose to snorkel the reef offshore. The sea was angry that day! 2 to 3 foot swells and lots of current. The fish/coral were awesome but typically down 15 to 20 feet. Several college age girls chose to snorkel as well and many were ill....motion sickness.....I made it through and was fine, never a safety concern as we were wearing vests (although did get waved over several times), but it was a substantial workout.

From shore, the snorkelling was mediocre, mostly small fish in the sea grass.

Archived