Lobster Alive or Harbour Lights?

rach1fun

Trying to decide where to go on our stop to Barbados in October. Carlisle Bay looks beautiful. Trying to make this one of our more affordable ports due to spendy choices on other islands.

The boatyard seems too "spring break" by looking at pics.

Do you think Lobster Alive or Harbour Lights is a better choice to spend the afternoon? Why?

Well I can't comment on Harbour Lights since we've never been there but we spent a good part of the day last September at Lobster Alive and loved it! We got a taxi at the port (think it was $3 or $5 each to Lobster Alive). It was very quiet when we arrived at approx. 9:00 and rented two chairs and an umbrella ($15 total). We got three drink coupons with this and the rum punch was one of the best I have tasted! The beach and water were beautiful. We stayed until about 1:00 pm then decided to walk into town to do some shopping and grab a bite to eat. Perhaps someone who has been to both places can give you a better comparison but we loved Lobster Alive and would head back there again if we're ever in Barbados :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well I can't comment on Harbour Lights since we've never been there but we spent a good part of the day last September at Lobster Alive and loved it! We got a taxi at the port (think it was $3 or $5 each to Lobster Alive). It was very quiet when we arrived at approx. 9:00 and rented two chairs and an umbrella ($15 total). We got three drink coupons with this and the rum punch was one of the best I have tasted! The beach and water were beautiful. We stayed until about 1:00 pm then decided to walk into town to do some shopping and grab a bite to eat. Perhaps someone who has been to both places can give you a better comparison but we loved Lobster Alive and would head back there again if we're ever in Barbados :)

How far was the walk into town and then to the ship after that? Never been to Barbados but we're going in April and this sounds like a great way to spend the day. Thanks for your input.

How far was the walk into town and then to the ship after that? Never been to Barbados but we're going in April and this sounds like a great way to spend the day. Thanks for your input.

Going by memory now, the walk took us about 10 or 15 minutes but we definitely were taking our time due to it being a very hot day. I know it could be done in a shorter time but we were in no hurry.

Not sure about the walk from town back to the port since we just hopped in a taxi and it was only a few dollars. It wasn't far but we were just exhausted mainly from the heat! :) No meters in the taxis so make sure you ask the price before you get in.

We loved our day in Barbados and hope to go back.. I'm sure you'll have a great time at Lobster Alive .. their rum punch is awesome :cool:

Going by memory now, the walk took us about 10 or 15 minutes but we definitely were taking our time due to it being a very hot day. I know it could be done in a shorter time but we were in no hurry.

Not sure about the walk from town back to the port since we just hopped in a taxi and it was only a few dollars. It wasn't far but we were just exhausted mainly from the heat! :) No meters in the taxis so make sure you ask the price before you get in.

We loved our day in Barbados and hope to go back.. I'm sure you'll have a great time at Lobster Alive .. their rum punch is awesome :cool:

Thanks for your prompt answer. Were taxi's easy to come by in town or if you wanted to take a taxi from the beach? Thanks again.

Thanks for your prompt answer. Were taxi's easy to come by in town or if you wanted to take a taxi from the beach? Thanks again.

Definitely no shortage of taxis in town. In the area that we got the taxi back to the ship, there were about five or six lined up waiting for fares.

Since we didn't get a taxi from the beach, I'm just guessing that it shouldn't be a big deal. You could go into Lobster Alive and ask them if they'd call you a taxi or where the best place to get one is. There's always taxis stopping outside to drop off people who are coming to either the Boatyard (right next door) or Lobster Alive. I don't think you'd have a problem. :)

Definitely no shortage of taxis in town. In the area that we got the taxi back to the ship, there were about five or six lined up waiting for fares.

Since we didn't get a taxi from the beach, I'm just guessing that it shouldn't be a big deal. You could go into Lobster Alive and ask them if they'd call you a taxi or where the best place to get one is. There's always taxis stopping outside to drop off people who are coming to either the Boatyard (right next door) or Lobster Alive. I don't think you'd have a problem. :)

Sounds like many of the other islands. Thanks for your responses. It sounds like Barbados will be a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Lobster Alive used to be our little secret. I guess word gets around:) ! We've been there three times over the years. Yes, their rum punch is the best! In the past we have arranged a pick up time with the taxi driver who dropped us off. Many times the taxi drivers will walk around and ask if anyone needs a taxi back to the ship (ship towels are a dead giveaway) when it starts getting close to the time to disembark. The beach is beautiful, and if you have snorkel gear with you, you can snorkel from the beach.

Have a great time in Barbados:D!

Trying to decide where to go on our stop to Barbados in October. Carlisle Bay looks beautiful. Trying to make this one of our more affordable ports due to spendy choices on other islands.

The boatyard seems too "spring break" by looking at pics.

Do you think Lobster Alive or Harbour Lights is a better choice to spend the afternoon? Why?

You are correct about the Boatyard. Also alot of the ship's crewmembers will go there to hang out which is fun for them but only adds to the "spring break" type atmosphere. We went first to Lobster Alive! but it was in such close proximity to the Boatyard we decided to walk further down the beach and came to Harbor Lights. The chair and umbrella rental was reasonable ($15us), the bathrooms clean and they had a fresh water outdoor shower right there off the beach. I rinsed off under that shower about three times that day. It was quiet and beautiful. You get a drink coupon with the chair rental and if you wanted to get lunch there are tables outside to eat or you can bring the food back to your beach chairs. For us Harbor Lights was the better choice.

Hope this helps. Where ever you decide to go on Carlisle Bay I don't think you will be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
Lobster Alive used to be our little secret. I guess word gets around:) ! We've been there three times over the years. Yes, their rum punch is the best! In the past we have arranged a pick up time with the taxi driver who dropped us off. Many times the taxi drivers will walk around and ask if anyone needs a taxi back to the ship (ship towels are a dead giveaway) when it starts getting close to the time to disembark. The beach is beautiful, and if you have snorkel gear with you, you can snorkel from the beach.

Have a great time in Barbados:D!

Maybe a good time to mention that Lobster Live is right next to the pricier and usually much more crowded Dock Yard.

It's been our little secret for a number of years too. :p

Archived