Back from the Destiny this past Sunday...

maddea20

We got back from the Destiny this past Sunday and had a great time, however, that ship needs some serious updating. For the past 4 years me and my family have been on the RC ships (Explorer of the Seas to be exact, like 3 times) and my mother begged me to book us on a Carnival ship this year. Well this was the one I picked due to the itinerary and everyone's schedule. Well unfortunately, according to my mother I picked the wrong ship because all she wants to do now is go back on an RC ship after this cruise. Like I said the cruise was nice and we had a good time on the ship as well as in Miami pre-cruise for 3 days, but the amount of work the ship needs kind of depressed my mother a bit. All she did was compare the ship to the Explorer during the whole trip.

Oh well, looks like we will be going back to RC next year.... Or will we???

I just read that RC dropped the ball on guests who missed the ship in San Juan this past Sunday. I absolutely do not like how they treated the passengers as compared to the way I hear Carnival treated their passengers in the same situation. As you can imagine me and mother have been discussing this incident over the last few days and we both are now wondering if we should be taking a crusie on RC next year as we almost always travel during hurricane season.

After seeing how RC treated these passengers, it's enough for me to want to go on any Carnival ship now no matter how run down, because hands down the service on the Destiny was superb in my opinon. Everyone was so nice, down to earth and always said hello. I personally don't mind going back on a Carnival ship unlike my mother but we both agree if RC can treat their customers like this, in such a crappy situation, then it may be worth it to try Carnival again.

Anyways, if you have any questions about the Destiny I will be more then happy to answer them for you.

P.S. The buffet truly does have long lines, lol....:D It's a fact, but I'm a patient person so it wasn't that bad, but for you impatient people out there I don't know how your going to handle it.

Yes we will defn go on a newer Carnival ship this time around.

Sorry you didnt like the ship.. we sailed on her and loved it.. guess if you are looking for the bells and whistles.. do not sail an older Carnival ship...;)

We got back from the Destiny this past Sunday and had a great time, however, that ship needs some serious updating. For the past 4 years me and my family have been on the RC ships (Explorer of the Seas to be exact, like 3 times) and my mother begged me to book us on a Carnival ship this year. Well this was the one I picked due to the itinerary and everyone's schedule. Well unfortunately, according to my mother I picked the wrong ship because all she wants to do now is go back on an RC ship after this cruise. Like I said the cruise was nice and we had a good time on the ship as well as in Miami pre-cruise for 3 days, but the amount of work the ship needs kind of depressed my mother a bit. All she did was compare the ship to the Explorer during the whole trip.

Oh well, looks like we will be going back to RC next year.... Or will we???

I just read that RC dropped the ball on guests who missed the ship in San Juan this past Sunday. I absolutely do not like how they treated the passengers as compared to the way I hear Carnival treated their passengers in the same situation. As you can imagine me and mother have been discussing this incident over the last few days and we both are now wondering if we should be taking a crusie on RC next year as we almost always travel during hurricane season.

After seeing how RC treated these passengers, it's enough for me to want to go on any Carnival ship now no matter how run down, because hands down the service on the Destiny was superb in my opinon. Everyone was so nice, down to earth and always said hello. I personally don't mind going back on a Carnival ship unlike my mother but we both agree if RC can treat their customers like this, in such a crappy situation, then it may be worth it to try Carnival again.

Anyways, if you have any questions about the Destiny I will be more then happy to answer them for you.

P.S. The buffet truly does have long lines, lol....:D It's a fact, but I'm a patient person so it wasn't that bad, but for you impatient people out there I don't know how your going to handle it.

curious as to how old the RC ship is that your Mother loves so much...when you book a cruise lines old ship you have to know ahead of time it won't be so purty...why not wait till the Destiny gets her big dry dock done than take her back on it?

OP if you want your mom to cruise on Carnival Again I would suggest the Liberty 7 day..She is newer and Is going into a Major Dry Dock in October....I can tell you she will have a blast on this one...all my parents friends are RC cruisers and well after sailing on the Liberty a few months back they won't be sailing on RC again...the Destiny will also be going in for a Major Dry Dock in 2013....so there is another option....

curious as to how old the RC ship is that your Mother loves so much...when you book a cruise lines old ship you have to know ahead of time it won't be so purty...why not wait till the Destiny gets her big dry dock done than take her back on it?

OP said they were on Explorer of the seas 3 times so I would guess this the ship she's comparing it to. Explorer came online in sept 2000 and had drydock for jan 2010.

I think what it is when someone expects a certain style or have become use to a certain ship, its hard to adjust to a different ship. Destiny has its problems for an older ship it holds up.

In my review I mentioned a way they could redo the buffet that would eliminate the long lines. That being to remove the cold Items you encounter first (milk yogurt fruit) and replace this area with hot food doubling the hot food selection.

I am disappointed carnival moved destinys drydock to 2013. I dont mind the current layout and can work around its design flaws but I was planning on having other on it for 2012.

I sailed the Destiny the week before you and we all loved it. We don't really have much to compare it to though, so we really don't know any better or different. But we had a great time and didn't let it's age affect our vacation in any way.. I was on RCL 6 years ago and it was pretty much the same. I agree Destiny needs updates (which we will be getting), but everything on the ship was sufficient for our needs. I agree that the buffet area has a horrible set up...very poor design causing long lines. they need more food stations placed around at different points of that area.

• 2 months later...

I booked our first cruise on the Destiny based on our holiday schedules. We will be sailing Dec 22 from Miami. After reading some of these posts I hope I didn't make a mistake in choosing the Destiny. Since we have never cruised before I was hoping this would be a very special trip.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess..which is fine with me! I thought the Destiny was lovely..the diningroom much more elegant than say the 'grapes of wrath' on the Miracle!! I was also in love with all the beautiful glass work on the promenade!!

I'm glad you had a good time on the ship..we found everyone to be very personable as well!

I booked our first cruise on the Destiny based on our holiday schedules. We will be sailing Dec 22 from Miami. After reading some of these posts I hope I didn't make a mistake in choosing the Destiny. Since we have never cruised before I was hoping this would be a very special trip.

the best way to avoid the 'worst' of the Destiny ( which apparently are the lines in the buffet!) is to eat at off times...have a later breakfast, and eat closer to 1pm, and the buffet lines should be slightly more tolerable.

Hubby and I never had an issue with the buffet lines because we ate at REALLY off times, and were actually quite happy with either burgers or pizza for lunch..and salad from the buffet was never a wait.

I thought the Destiny was a really pretty ship.... and didn't really notice any excessive 'wear and tear'..but then, I wasn't looking for it, either. BTW..there is review of the 5 day itinerary in my signature, if you care to read it!

Archived