Max weight on scooters

sue.young

How accurate is the weight listed for scooter rentals? I am on the boarder line for the limit and would welcome your thoughts or experiences. it would mean the difference in being able to rent a folding scooter or the standard type.

Thanks in advance.

A mobility scooter? Too have waiting for you on the ship? Bringing from home?

Why are you wanting a folding one?

If you rent one and it will be delivered to your cabin, how will you get to your cabin?

You are better to bring it with you. If you need one for the cruise, then you probable need one at other times. renting one is expensive. Look for buying a used one.

I assume you are over the weight limit by a few pounds. I think you would be OK.

BUT if a problem developed the rental company would say you broke the contract and were responsible for all damages.

I use/prefer a power chair. Much more maneuverable. I have outfitted my minivan with a lift for transporting the chair. The down side is the need for an accessible cabin to have wide doors.

How accurate is the weight listed for scooter rentals? I am on the boarder line for the limit and would welcome your thoughts or experiences. it would mean the difference in being able to rent a folding scooter or the standard type.

Thanks in advance.

Can I assume that you're renting a scooter for a cruise, one to be delivered by the company to your cabin, and picked up by the company when your cruise is over?

I don't know that any of the information the previous poster asks for is any of his business nor is it necessary for you to respond to get an answer! You asked about scooter *rental*, so obviously you don't have your own, don't have a handicap-accessible van or power chair.

So here are the answers to your question. Indeed, if you really are just on the border line for weight...you'll probably be just fine. Have you tried using a folding scooter (or a regular one, for that matter)? The folding type aren't quite as stable, so if balance is an issue for you, you might want to consider a standard scooter. If the folding scooter is workable for you, it does give you more flexibility -- you may not have to have an accessible cabin, which would be essential with anything more than a folding scooter. (The regular cabin doors are too narrow for anything but the folding scooter, and even if you could get a standard scooter inside, there would be no room to move about the cabin!) Since you're only using it for the week, unless you intend to be going over really rough terrain or pushing it to it's maximum capabilities, it should work fine for you.

Indeed, if it SHOULD break down and you are significantly over the weight limits stated it could be a problem with your contract, but usually if you've rented from a reliable company (recommended by the cruise line) they're delievered to your cabin in such good condition a breakdown is unlikely.

Have a great cruise!

Agree with poster above, if you are truly just at the weight limit, get the smaller. remember though, the heavier the load the faster your battery will run down. it may be worth the larger scooter to be able to get the full distance on the battery. if you plan on long shore excursions this may be important. Also the larger scooter will have a larger seat, if you are like some and your weight is around your middle or in the "tush" you may find the larger seat more comfy.

Thanks in advance.

The weight loads are accurate as listed. The rental companies post the maximum weight load as determined and tested by the manufacturer of the specific scooter. It's also important to note that the weight load is the total weight the scooter can carry which includes the weight of the person , any additionals items that may be placed in the basket and/or items carried on the scooter. People often place a backpack on the back of the scooter seat in addition to using the basket. Its not just the weight load of the person riding the scooter that you need to be concerned sbout when determining weight max. If you are boarder line without considering carrying any items on the scooter that it would be suggested best that you move up to the next scooter type. Otherwise you stand a chance of damaging the motor and per the rental contract you will be held responsible for the full replacement cost.

The rental companies do not determine the weight max they use the manifacturers maxium weight capacity. For example CareVacations midsize rental is a Pride Go Go EliteTraveler Plus that Carevacations lists the maxium weight capacity to be 300 LBS.http://www.carevacations.com/cruiseshipassist/mobility-equipment/mid-size-scooter/

If you look on the manufacturers website the maxium weight is also 300 LBS. http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/gogoelitetravellerplus.asp

Bottom Line the weight load are vary accurate.

Also you need to disclose your weight to the rental company as they are the ones that will determine what scooter type they will rent to you.

FYI, jackretired, there are wheelchairs in the terminal to get a person to their cabin. Not everyone needs a scooter for the same reasons. Some might need one only if the seas are rough.

OP, I'm not sure a rental company would rent a folding scooter if the weight limit is beyond capacity. They will rent what will be the safest for you. Also, you will need an accessible cabin, or a large suite, to accommodate the scooter. Even if it fits through the cabin door, there might not be enough room to keep it in your cabin, and you're not allowed to park scooters in the hallway.

As others have said, the weight limits are accurate.

Hi I rent scooters. The weight limit is correct. If you are over and damage occurs for any reason you will be held responible for repair cost/new scooter. Are you over by 1-2 lbs or 20-30 lbs? If 20- 30 lbs get the bigger scooter. When you rent they ask for your weight (be truthful). They will only rent what can be handled by the scooter. As above your weight does affect how long the battery lasts so a bigger scooter would be better.

I agree with the other posters' recommendations about going with the larger scooter, and yes, comfort and stability are two important reasons. The 3-wheelers are by nature less stable, and you want it heavy enough in relation to your weight so that your center of gravity is as low as possible. So the foldable ones, though convenient, may be less safe for you. And be careful on the gangways!-- if you can walk them instead of riding, that is probably preferable.

That being said, just for accuracy, my wife made do with two different scooters--a Lark and a Pride--that were "underweight" for her, until we managed to get a Pride Maxima that fit. Tough little machines!

Kristen

I have rented from CareVacations twice for my husband. He's gotten a standard size 4wheeler scooter that was 21inches wide and it barely fits inside a 22 inch wide standard cabin door. It's doable but it DOES fill the cabin and the scooter driver has to be good at backing the darn thing into the room each time. We've done it without a problem on RCCL and Carnival in standard cabins and had the cruise line take him to the cabin by wheelchair and to the departing bus to the airport by wheelchair.

Years later we bought a scooter and now use our own. Much easier, and the cost of a rental a couple of times, more than pays for the cost of purchasing one if you go that route. Happy cruising!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived