Should seasickness pills be available on the NHS - discuss...

blitznbobs

It's an interesting question that I've never thought about before but today I had 2 patients demanding seasickness medication for their upcoming cruise... and then went on to make several other demands about this medication which I have to say got my back up a little... I did prescribe it in the end but should this 'leisure' medication be available on our already strapped for cash NHS...??

Discuss...

Isn't it more expensive to get the meds on prescription than over the counter or are the prescription ones extra strength?

I don't think they should be available and I'm amazed that travel innoculations at my health centre don't even have a prescription fee.

Some travel jabs are free as it's possible you could bring a disease back and infect other UK residents.

Malaria tablets aren't free and these are essential for some travel - expensive too.

Sea sickness tabs, no way. If you can afford a cruise you can afford £3 for Stugeron and if it gets worse a trip to the ship's doctor.

Do you mean on prescription? If so, they would cost working people twice as much surely as over the counter medicine...If OAP's are demanding them free NO! If they can afford to cruise they can afford to buy their own sea sickness pills...what a cheek..!

I understand the reason behind free inoculations as it could cost the NHS more in the long run if anyone contracts one of the diseases and brough it back to the UK.

This isn't the same for travel sickness pills.

I live in Wales and am against free prescriptions for all, there are better things to spend the money on IMHO.

I know some people who expect the GP's to prescribe things like paracetamol. :rolleyes:

I was quite shocked that I didn't have to pay a prescription charge to replace the surgery's stock for my innoculations for my Caribbean cruise. A friend pointed out the risk to the NHS of the cost of me potentially bringing a disease back in to the U.K.

I certainly wouldn't expect or ask for sea-sickness medication on the NHS, and as this is only going to affect the individual concerned I don't think a G.P. should feel pressurised into acquiescing to a request to prescribe it.

Thirty years ago I worked as a medical receptionist in an inner city practice in Coventry. We had a lot of patients who travelled to India and required vaccinations to do so (I think it was cholera and possibly smallpox at that time). The practice used to charge a fee for this service. If patients objected, the doctors used to say that if you can afford the air fare to India you can afford to pay for the vaccinations. If patients still objected, they would be offered the vaccination free of charge, but would have to pay the fee for the associated certificate which of course they needed to satisfy the immigration requirements!

Carol x

I was quite shocked that I didn't have to pay a prescription charge to replace the surgery's stock for my innoculations for my Caribbean cruise. A friend pointed out the risk to the NHS of the cost of me potentially bringing a disease back in to the U.K.

I certainly wouldn't expect or ask for sea-sickness medication on the NHS, and as this is only going to affect the individual concerned I don't think a G.P. should feel pressurised into acquiescing to a request to prescribe it.

Thirty years ago I worked as a medical receptionist in an inner city practice in Coventry. We had a lot of patients who travelled to India and required vaccinations to do so (I think it was cholera and possibly smallpox at that time). The practice used to charge a fee for this service. If patients objected, the doctors used to say that if you can afford the air fare to India you can afford to pay for the vaccinations. If patients still objected, they would be offered the vaccination free of charge, but would have to pay the fee for the associated certificate which of course they needed to satisfy the immigration requirements!

Carol x

This was the case a few years ago when I lived in Bristol - I can't remember where I was going but the inoculations were not compulsory so I didn't pay for the certificate (I didn't need it)

At one time some surgeries charged a prescription fee for each inoculation but I'm talking about 20 years back.

This reminds me that I must phone my nurse and ask where I currently stand with the boosters.

It's an interesting question that I've never thought about before but today I had 2 patients demanding seasickness medication for their upcoming cruise... and then went on to make several other demands about this medication which I have to say got my back up a little... I did prescribe it in the end but should this 'leisure' medication be available on our already strapped for cash NHS...??

Discuss...

Why not? If we can prescribe synthetic opiates to addicts & patches to smokers then we can provide a few antihistamines to cruisers! :rolleyes:

the drug they were asking for is a prescription only medication anyway...

BnBx

Is it possible under these circumstances for a NHS doctor to write a private prescription for a patient, thus ensuring they have to pay full whack for it? Alternatively, what is to stop you refusing to write the 'script?

Mary

Is it possible under these circumstances for a NHS doctor to write a private prescription for a patient, thus ensuring they have to pay full whack for it? Alternatively, what is to stop you refusing to write the 'script?

Mary

Yup private scrips are definitely a possibility... but difficult to justify in an NHS consultation... You'd need to set up a separate travel clinic or the PCT would have to exclude 'travel medications' from those drugs available on the NHS..

Anyone who can afford to go on a cruise can afford a paltry packet of s.s tabs!

Asking the NHS to fork out for that is like us expecting P&O to give us free drinks at sailaway! :D

Caryl

What's wrong with free sailaway drinks from the cruise companies I think that should be the norm.

Perhaps it is just my GP practice but I paid for my travel jabs a few years ago when I went to the North of Thailand. I would never ask my GP for seasickness pills on prescription - mainly cos I have to pay anyway so it would cost me more. It is a sore subject in our house in as much as OH is asthmatic and has to pay for his inhalers but certain other conditions get it free.

I work for the local PCT and worked in FHS complaints some years ago when I used to always get phone calls about travel jabs and similar ... people complaining that they had been charged at their GP surgery. There are clinics elsewhere in the city for travel jabs but they were not able to get to these cos it was "out of their way" (but they could get to their holiday destination!!) :confused:

It used to make me so mad and still does .... so the definitive answer is NO ... travel sickness pills should not be available on scripts!

Private prescription costs more than an nhs script. Go to tesco or asda pharmacy ask for a packet of sturguron £2.75p, cheaper than a pint in most pubs. Come one the nhs is strapped enough, if you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy your own sea sickness tablets.

"Private prescription costs more than an nhs script. Go to tesco or asda pharmacy ask for a packet of sturguron £2.75p, cheaper than a pint in most pubs. Come one the nhs is strapped enough, if you can afford to cruise you can afford to buy your own sea sickness tablets."

Hear hear!!! I quite agree!!! Well written - riderhotlegs!

It looks like P&O are also strapped for cash nowadays Marconi so that's why champagne sailaway was one of their first cutbacks!

Caryl

I have to say got my back up a little... I did prescribe it in the end but should this 'leisure' medication be available on our already strapped for cash NHS...??

Discuss...

No of course not. But why did you not tell them to get lost?

David

This reminds me of when our kids were little. We were due to fly to Barbados and both girls came out in a rash and were a little unwell. We had an 'emergency' (i.e. within 2 days) appointment and the doc prescribed the usual antibiotics but told us that as we could afford to go to Barbados, we could buy our own Calpol! We hadn't even asked for any. We just wanted them checking over before travelling.

Rude! I never liked him after that.

No of course not. But why did you not tell them to get lost?

David

Tbh I think I was caught a little off guard and by nature I like helping people out. There are no rules about this kind of thing... I won't be caught by this one again... And then the question of Valium for flying raises it's ugly head...,

Archived