Food allergies-Any peanuts in the food at the Red Ginger restaurant?

gfmfromweston

Many, many Marina guests have raved about the Red Ginger restaurant on the Marina. Unfortunately, I have a potentially fatal allergy to peanuts, which will probably prevent me from eating there.

Can any one tell me whether they encountered peanuts or peanut products, such as peanut butter, in this Asian food? I am especially worried about peanut butter concealed in hot or spicy food.

Only people with a peanut allergy like mine would have the direct experience for which I am looking. However, I would also like to hear from anyone about the amount of Thai food, as compared with Japanese or Chinese food. What I really need to know is, how hard is it to avoid Thai food? Thai food is simply out of the question for me. Are the dishes marked by country of origin on the menu? Or are the dishes a little of one country and a little of another on the same plate?

I would also be interested in hearing from any one who has taken their problem of a severe food allergy to the maître d' or other Marina staff. How were you received? Did the Marina have procedures already in place to respond to allergy problems?

Contact the the cruise line ahead of time either yourself or via your TA it will be noted on your file about your allergy

Then when you board the ship speak to the Maitre'd if they do not contact first

They will give you menus the night before so you can check off what you want then they will make meals without peanuts

When you go to dinner just tell them you have a special meal they will ask for your cabin number

If you go to the buffet speak with the chefs so they can advise you where peanuts or peanut products have been used ...some food may have been cooked with peanut oil so best to double check

Our friend has a peanut allergy & he would double check whenever meals were brought to ensure no peanuts were used but they do take food allergies seriously on Oceania

Lyn

Thank you very much, LHT28. Your reply is very encouraging. It did not occur to me that Oceania would actually prepare custom meals for allergy sufferers. I am impressed.

They will eliminate the offending food from the dish where possible or advise other options.

You have to tell them ahead of time though do not wait until you are ordering your meal

With peanut allergies it can be fatal in some people

We had dinner with a man who was gluten intolerant... he only mentioned in passing at dinner when he was looking at what to order.

The waitress overheard him & immediately advised him what he could & could not have.

Anything she was not sure about she went & asked the kitchen

She got his cabin number & said in following days he would receive menus to choose his food options ahead of time

She even brought him some Gluten free bread to enjoy while the rest of us had the rolls

He did not realize he could ask for gluten free meals & was just winging it

Lyn

Thank you very much, LHT28. Your reply is very encouraging. It did not occur to me that Oceania would actually prepare custom meals for allergy sufferers. I am impressed.

LHT28 was quite correct in informing you to advise Oceania "in advance" of any dietary requirements. They are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to prepare dishes that will be enjoyable.

Unfortunately, some passengers don't take the time to let Oceania know in advance of their needs, and become distressed when special dishes cannot be prepared on a "moments notice".

Have a great trip!

Archived