Ports in New England/Canada

lesliedrew

We will be doing the September 27 New England/Canada cruise on the QM2. I can't find good information on arrival in the ports (Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, and Quebec). Are they all tender ports? Where do we actually land. Is it within walking distance of anything? Are taxis or public transport available? I can figure out most of the answers with the help of the internet if I can just determine where Cunard will deposit us! Especially concerned about Boston. Thanks for your help.

We will be doing the September 27 New England/Canada cruise on the QM2. I can't find good information on arrival in the ports (Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, and Quebec). Are they all tender ports? Where do we actually land. Is it within walking distance of anything? Are taxis or public transport available? I can figure out most of the answers with the help of the internet if I can just determine where Cunard will deposit us! Especially concerned about Boston. Thanks for your help.

Boston is docked and there is a bus which I believe you have to pay for, Bar Harbor is a tender port into the centre of town, Newport I am not sure of but I believe it is a tender. Halifax and Quebec are docked.

Quebec City and Halifax are both walker friendly and you will dock in the downtown area.

You will dock in Boston and there was a shuttle bus when we were there.

Bar Harbour is a tender port but very walkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about Newport - we had to skip that one because of hurricane related problems, but - for the rest.

Boston - berthed

Bar Harbor - tender

Halifax - berthed

Quebec - berthed

At Boston there will be a shuttle bus into the city centre. My memory is a little hazy on the details but I think you have to pay a small charge to use the bus. It will drop you near Quncy Market right in the City Centre.

Bar Harbor is a small town and the tender drops you more or less right in the town centre. No problem to walk everywhere from the pier.

At Halifax the berth is a fair way from the city but, again, i think there is a shuttle bus, although I didn't use it as I was on a Cunard tour.

In Quebec you will berth within relatively easy walking distance of the city but you will probably find that a shuttle bus is available there as well. If not there are loads of taxis.

J

The shuttle in Boston to Quincy market has a charge, we (2 of us) took a cab (next to the bus) and it was less than the shuttle and of coarse you dont have to join the herd. I can't remember the cost but the 2 journeys (incl tip)came to the cost of 1 person on the shuttle. After wandering around Boston if was convenient as we just caught a cab where we were instead of having to return to the shuttle pick up.

Halifax was lovely as it is a very pleasant walk along a nice clean modern harbour front to the town, then a leisurely walk up a steep hill to the Citadel, which made a very pleasant day.

No info on the otheres as havnt visited them YET:D

Julie

The shuttle in Boston to Quincy market has a charge, we (2 of us) took a cab (next to the bus) and it was less than the shuttle and of coarse you dont have to join the herd. I can't remember the cost but the 2 journeys (incl tip)came to the cost of 1 person on the shuttle. After wandering around Boston if was convenient as we just caught a cab where we were instead of having to return to the shuttle pick up.

Halifax was lovely as it is a very pleasant walk along a nice clean modern harbour front to the town, then a leisurely walk up a steep hill to the Citadel, which made a very pleasant day.

No info on the otheres as havnt visited them YET:D

Julie

Julie, thanks for confirming that there is a charge for the shuttle bus in Boston. I thought there was but I couldn't be certain (it's an age thing!:eek:)

Can I also recommend the numerous boat tours that run from Bar Harbor. These are not Cunard sponsored tours and you can either book in advance (by e-mail) or just roll up on the day and book in the office which is in the same building were you embark and disembark from the tenders. I did the lighthouses tour, but there are other themed tours such as whale watching and just general scenic tours. I thought they were excellent value and very well organised. But make sure that you check the duration of the tour and make sure that it leaves you plenty of time to snag the last tender as they won't wait for you. I thoroughly enjoyed the lighthouses boat tour and can't recommend it highly enough. If you get an early tender ashore you will also have plenty of time to explore Bar Harbor itself before the tour departs.

J

As I recall the Boston shuttle was $10 per person. I didn't notice that we were part of the 'herd' as we walked straight on as we left the ship and the returns were plentiful.

We then walked the Freedom Trail ourselves- very easy to follow.

We didn't get to see Newport either due to weather.

We enjoyed Bar Harbor very much - the Abbe Museum is a small museum and very interesting. J's photos are beautiful and we sat on that bench and ate our lobster roll and blueberry pie!

Halifax has a lovely waterfront as already said and we enjoyed the walk up to the citadel - very steep.

Quebec- wonderful!! You are right there just a short walk from the old town and the funicular.

You have a wonderful trip ahead- I am quite envious.:)

Quebec- wonderful!! You are right there just a short walk from the old town and the funicular.

Oh, I forgot - while I'm in photograph mode, here's one of QM2 in Quebec which I think shows just how close to the city centre the berth really is. And don't forget to try the poutine!

J

039_DSC3845_qm2_quebec.jpg

J,

Were you there last year- when we were delayed sailing?

Certainly was! And I was quite pleased about that delay in Quebec because it allowed me to get some night shots of Chateau Frontenac. The hurricane that missed us also allowed me to get some night shots of Manhattan. Truly, it's an ill wind... :D

J

Hi lesliedrew. Just my personal opinion about the Halifax port: Absolutely wonderful! QM2 docks at the pier, and you can take a nice stroll along the harbor on the newly constructed promenade, weather permitting. If you have an interest in ships, check out the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mmanew/en/home/default.aspx

I hope the weather is as pleasant for you as it was during our July voyage. We enjoyed a nice stroll to the museum and a delicious lobster lunch before returning to the ship. I hope the weather is as pleasant for you as it was during our July voyage: on our two previous voyages to Halifax, the port was soaked in fog and rain and very cool temps. Bon Voyage -S.

Certainly was! And I was quite pleased about that delay in Quebec because it allowed me to get some night shots of Chateau Frontenac. The hurricane that missed us also allowed me to get some night shots of Manhattan. Truly, it's an ill wind... :D

J

Didn't the Chateau look stunning in the evening.

I would have liked to say hello- I wish I had known you were there. :)

(We ate breakfast in KC and just the one each so maybe that's why our paths never crossed :D)

Didn't the Chateau look stunning in the evening.

I would have liked to say hello- I wish I had known you were there. :)

(We ate breakfast in KC and just the one each so maybe that's why our paths never crossed :D)

Yes, it's a shame we didn't manage to meet up. I don't know why, but for some reason I was particularly disconnected about who was going and when on that cruise. I think it was something to do that it was really not a single cruise but more a short cruise sandwiched between two TAs. I don't think I even signed up for a roll call - or any of the three possible roll calls.

Totally agree about the Chateau though - it looked fantastic. Here's a wee reminder.

J

050_DSC3944_chateau_frontenac.jpg

I didn't sign up for roll call either! We did the whole trip and it was great. Each port we went to was so enjoyable.

I always enjoy your photographs and that is just beautiful. Thank you.:)

I took some enough to remind us but not a patch on yours.

Archived