Just finished two weeks on the Legend -- top marks

themed4me

Given the huge sales of that firm, I think my tastes are not in the minority.

The ferry firms often offer many wines to entice people on board, not necessarily for the pleasure of travel but to get them in the shops where the money is made.

Huge sales because it is so cheap, not because it is good.

If you bring your own wine to the table, what is the corkage fee? I didn't think that was an option! Good to know if the corkage fee is not outrageous!

Angie, restaurants charge corkage because you are depriving them of the revenue they would otherwise get from selling you wine. As wine is free on Seabourn it actually saves them money if you bring your own - so no corkage.

Angie, no corkage fees. I also think there is a way of handling it appropriately so as to be properly discrete about it, and this is most easily done in the Veranda/Restaurant 2.

Lunch wine I brought to the Veranda at 11:30 and gave it to the Som or M'd so it would be chilled on ice outside in the wine bin in advance of arriving later. Dinner wine I would drop off at 5:30 or 6, again while they are setting up. Then the servers then just pour seamlessly.

Courtesy would be to leave some wine in the bottle for your wine server to taste (in the back and/or share with others) there if the wine is noteworthy or especially interesting.

I personally would not waltz into the main dining room with a bottle of wine under my arm, regardless of how gracious Seabourn would be about it.

It used to be that you could order wine off the list that was good value and I always thought it was a good upsale opportunity for them, especially given the generally mediocre wines being served. Unfortunately the selection on the list has been reduced, the pricing model has changed a lot (no values), and the house wine quality has dropped further. The customer adaptation of bringing your own is bound to increase until the situation changes. I think everyone agrees that the wine package program is broken, which was launched to cushion the decision to reduce wine quality.

Same Cruise too... And we had so much fun regardless of the quality of wines.

You were quite lucky to not have encountered these lovely folks... :)

They caused a scene at a few diners and were completely rude to many. But that wasn't going to spoil my vacation, it actually gave me something to laugh about.

We enjoy good wines with dinner (and as former clifornian, have some old great ones in the cellar. More forgiving on ships, but would enjoy some idea of what the lists might look like. We're booking the 11/21 Sojourn from Buenos Aires. Is there someone who has (even if not exactly current) some list of the sorts of wines we might expect?

Here is a list posted previously by another member (johnnycruise). The original post is a couple of pages further down:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1448140

Here is the included wine list from 7/29/2011 (Monte Carlo - Civitavecchia), compliments of sommelier Gergely Novak. He was most helpful and knowledgeable.

White

Pinot Grigio Santa Margherita (Italy)

Gavi La Scolca White Label Piedmont (Italy)

Chardonnay Louis Latour Grand Ardeche (France)

Chardonnay Robert Mondavi California (USA)

Chardonnay Unwooded De Meye (South Africa)

Chardonnay Milton Park (South Australia)

Sauvignon Blanc Wingspan Nelson (New Zealand)

Sauvignon Blanc Santa Alicia Maipo Valley (Chile)

Sauvignon Blanc Michel Lynch Bordeaux Blanc (France)

Red

Pinot Noir Brassfield Round Mountain High Valley (USA)

Cotes de Rhone Grenache Syrah (France)

Merlot Anakena Rapel Valley (Chile)

Merlot Arrowood Napa Valley California (USA)

Merlot/Cabernet Sirius Bordeaux Rouge (France)

Chianti Classico Riserva Placido (Italy)

Rosso di Toscana Serego Alighieri Tuscany (Italy)

Carmenere Petit Verdot Shiraz Santa Alicia B2 Blend (Chile)

Malbec Corvina Passo Doble Tupungato Valley (Argentina)

Malbec Los Toneles Mendoza (Argentina)

Zinfandel Quivira Dry Creek Valley California (USA)

Aromo Cabernet Sauvignon Maule Valley (Chile)

Milton Park Shiraz (South Australia)

Rose

JP Chenet Grenache Cinsault Rose (France)

Modello Rosato Masi (Italy)

Rose de Meye Stellenbosch (South Africa)

Beringer White Zinfandel California (USA)

Dessert Wine

Chateau Saint Amand, Sauternes (France)

Sparkling

Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Champagne (France)

Prosecco Raso Corona Prosecco IGT (Italy)

At Livorno, bar manager Victor Kirkbride, purchased a Tuscan white and a Tuscan red which paired perfectly with the cuisine offered on the deck barbeque. Victor did a superb job and handled several special requests.

Only once did we receive prosecco when champagne was requested ... two glasses with a room service breakfast. That delivery also had the prosecco in two different-sized flutes, so I consider that service an anomaly. At all bars and events we attended, the champagne was poured. The Sky Bar had a bottle of prosecco on hand for a guest who preferred prosecco over champagne for her bellinis and rossinis.

Archived