Alternate routes into NYC by road??

extremez

As of now the NYS thruway is closed from Albany south.

Can anyone suggest or does anyone know of a route that is passable?

We're leaving just north of Albany at 6:00am in preparation of getting down there hoping that we'll have enough time to find detours to the port.

As of now the NYS thruway is closed from Albany south.

Can anyone suggest or does anyone know of a route that is passable?

We're leaving just north of Albany at 6:00am in preparation of getting down there hoping that we'll have enough time to find detours to the port.

We will be looking at a similar problem. If the NYS Thruway is still closed, you should look at taking the Taconic State Parkway down from Albany.

We will be looking at a similar problem. If the NYS Thruway is still closed, you should look at taking the Taconic State Parkway down from Albany.

I always thought the Taconic was lower and more prone to floods. Has that route been affected? What about Rt9 all the way down. Would be slower obviously but I'm not sure of another route other than following the GPS's detour suggestions.

I believe the Taconic is still closed. Had a friend drive down from the Adirondacks today and he said it took him twice as long as he had to keep getting off for closures and taking backroads. I also understand from an earlier news conference from CT that the Tappen Zee bridge is closed for the next day or so...

You do know that the Taconic may be flooded. Please check it out first.

What about I95 South? MY dh and I took that one day right into the city.

Not from Albany...I95 south only works when you get to the Bronx...it won't help get them from Albany to the Bronx though.

I95 goes through CT.

I would say just leave at the crack of dawn and get your self into the city by using whatever road is open to you..even if it means roads with lights....and then when you get as close as possible to NYC...use what ever detour they have set up...go thru upper Manhattan if needed. I have a feeling that the Thruway will be open for you though.

I would say just leave at the crack of dawn and get your self into the city by using whatever road is open to you..even if it means roads with lights....and then when you get as close as possible to NYC...use what ever detour they have set up...go thru upper Manhattan if needed. I have a feeling that the Thruway will be open for you though.

Thanks, we are going to get up early, Metro North is not looking good, but who knows by morning. Lots of roads closings right now, we will hope for the best, and like you suggested leave early.

We talked about taking the taconic down to 84 then cutting over towards 87 to see if it was passable. either take tapanzee in or 17 down into NJ and go through the Lincoln Tunnel.

We're leaving at 6:00 and I hope we will be there. I don't care if we sit four 6 hours at the terminal. After the last few days I need to relax, lol.

Don't you love how our signatures say that we've sailed already?

We talked about taking the taconic down to 84 then cutting over towards 87 to see if it was passable. either take tapanzee in or 17 down into NJ and go through the Lincoln Tunnel.

We're leaving at 6:00 and I hope we will be there. I don't care if we sit four 6 hours at the terminal. After the last few days I need to relax, lol.

Don't you love how our signatures say that we've sailed already?

That first drink/brew on the ship will taste so much better after the last few days. ENJOY!!!!

If the NYS Thruway is open south of Albany and the TZ bridge still closed, you could take Route 17 (exit just as the Thruway turns left for the TZ bridge shortly after the Harriman barrier) across and over one of the bridges into Manhatten.

As you probably know they had massive amounts of rain in the Catskills and all of that is now running off. I've heard that is a big reason for closing the Thruway down - and folks wouldn't be able to see the standing/running water quick enough at night perhaps to avoid it.

Archived