Taking our jogging stroller

surrocruiser

We are debating taking our jogging stroller on the cruise in order to make my 22 month old son comfortable and happy. It has decent shade and reclines so that he could sleep in it if we were out and about.

However, i'm a bit concerned about the size of it. It doesn't fold up very small and has a fairly wide wheel base. But if we take it off the ship, it is very sturdy on any uneven ground. We will be in a family suite so I am thinking we should be OK just not sure.

Has anyone used a jogging stroller on a cruise? I would love to hear your experiences.

If the jogging stroller is like the one I'm thinking of consider this: the stroller must make it down the hallway. There might be someone else in the hall OR the carts for cleaning the rooms. How will you get by those? You also have to make it through the doorway of your cabin (not sure of the width but I know others know). Fitting it in the elevator as well. Do you have a tender port because they won't let you take it on there if you can't fold it down.

A suite will have a wider doorway than a standard cabin, and you'll have space in the suite for the stroller. However, navigating down the hallways may be a tight fit. They aren't wide like in a hotel...they're fairly narrow....and yes...the elevators are sort of skimpy on space, too!

If the jogging stroller is like the one I'm thinking of consider this: the stroller must make it down the hallway. There might be someone else in the hall OR the carts for cleaning the rooms. How will you get by those? You also have to make it through the doorway of your cabin (not sure of the width but I know others know). Fitting it in the elevator as well. Do you have a tender port because they won't let you take it on there if you can't fold it down.

A jogging stroller will make it down hallways, same as any stroller. And of course they fold down, it wouldn't make sense to have a stoller that doesn't. :confused:

If you have a suite, bring the stoller and don't even worry about it. Sounds like it will be the best option for all of you.

Have fun!

A jogging stroller will make it down hallways, same as any stroller. And of course they fold down, it wouldn't make sense to have a stoller that doesn't. :confused:

If you have a suite, bring the stoller and don't even worry about it. Sounds like it will be the best option for all of you.

Have fun!

When I said it might not make it down the hallway - I was referring to the obstacles along the way. You know, those carts that are in the hallways so your steward can clean. Don't forget people walking. How about those pesky trays some people put out. I'm quite aware if it's clear there is room, I just don't think it's right to make other people cram into doorways so you can get by. Nor do I think the room steward should have to figure out where to put his cart.

Personally I wouldn't. I'll admit that I love (and I mean LOVE) my BOB stroller, but I wouldn't ever consider bringing it on a cruise ship. As others have said the hallways are narrow and the elevators small. There was an electric scooter parked in the hallway near our cabin and we would never have gotten by with the BOB. When disembarking there is often a crowd if you are trying to get off as soon as the announcement is made and some people complain of people wearing backpacks in a crowd...you get the idea. There are some great umbrella strollers that allow recline and will be more considerate of your fellow passengers when in common spaces. If you need a way of transporting your child over bumpy ground, consider a sling or structured carrier.

What kind of stroller is it? The last cruise we were on we took our baby jogger city mini, which although it is NOT technically a jogging stroller (doesn't have the air tires) we found to be a little too wide to maneuver in the hallways and it did not fit through the door. It was great in every other way though - light at only 16lbs, easy to fold up, great sun canopy, and full recline. But it is 24 inches wide at the rear wheels.

If the recline and sun shade are your main concerns, there are a lot of smaller stroller options out there that fit the bill. I just bought a Britax Blink umbrella stroller for our next cruise, and it reclines almost fully and has a good sun shade. It's also on clearance so it didn't break the bank. :)

I so wanted to take our jogging stroller especially for use on the beach. However, it would have been completely impractical for use on the ship. We brought an extremely compact stroller (not umbrella, but close) and even that was a pain most of the time (mainly when around crowds on the ship).

We were very glad that we didn't bring the jogging stroller with us.

Here is one like we brought... It has a shoulder strap to carry it with which is what I ended up doing rather than wait 20 minutes for an elevator to go up or down just a couple of floors.

prod-1984.jpg1984-2482.jpg

Ours is a baby trend jogger with the air tires. When folded, it doesn't fit in the car trunk. It really is a hassle to fold up and transport. That is what is making me re-think taking it but I never had thought about the carts in the hallways all the time and tenders.

Wow, I guess I would be better off to find one that can fold up easily that has the features and is affordable. I really like the idea of a shoulder strap to carry the stroller.

Archived