Horseback riding

springdal

Last week i decided to go to Mahahual, and find something to eat there. What i saw on my way wasn't definitely pleasant. Almost at the entrance of the village there was a restaurant, actually is the first building you see. Right next to it there was an area where they had several horses waiting for the tourists taking horse back riding tours. These poor horses were having a terrible time, there was no shade, just the rocky land. You can see how desperate they get since they've practically eaten the trunks of what used to be palm trees. On my way back to the port i saw the same picture, horses standing under the heat of the sun. A few hours later, i returned to the village along with some workmates and the horses were still there!!

I understand horses stand longer than humans, but i think it isn't of humans to keep these animals in that condition, specially if they are the ones making the money. Imagine a black horse standing under the sun for hours, when the temperature is over 110º. If you're taking any of these tours, make sure the horses are treated well and encourage the operators of the tour to take good care of them and have them in better conditions.

Does anyone know which companies do take care of their horses? I really would like to do this, but don't want to add to the discomfort of the horses. I am looking at Costa Maya Beach Horseback Excursions...I think it is Island Marketing Ltd.

I have used Island Marketing Ltd for a few excursions in the last few years and have been very happy with any of the excursions i have taken.

here is the web page. click on the live chat and ask the operator your questions. http://www.costamayacruiseexcursions.com/IslandMarketingLtd.htm

ask if you get to the tiour and find the horses not taken care of could you change your mind and get your money back?

its a good company.

We were there on 3/1. Arranged horseback riding at the pier for $25 pp. Took a taxi to Majuahal and checked in at the beach. A guide took us down the street and one street back from the main road to a covered lot. The horses were there but I did not see any water for them before or after the ride. They were not in too bad shape but the stirups were not adjustable and my nine year old just had her feet dangling. We rode down the road for about 20 minutes and then back the beach. Total time was less than one hour. The guide did not have a horse to ride and RAN along behind us all the way!!

I did do an online chat with the above company to find out how they treated their horses. I got a very sarcastic responce that wasn't appreciated:

Sarah: Another case of cruisecriticitis?

Me: What does that mean?

Sarah: We regularly beat our horses

Sarah: no water, no food

she went on to say she wouldn't pay much attention to anything on cruise critic because it is not only tourists who are replying. She thinks competitors go on...but as I pointed out to her, I hadn't read posts against this company...just that the horses weren't always treated right by any comany

Sarah: You have to understand that cruise critic must be taken with a grain f salt .....

Sarah: Not all you read is what it appears

I guess she was trying to say that their competitors would say anything to put them down, but I certainly didn't find the live chat person very friendly. I saved the entire chat.

• 1 month later...

I had to bump this up. Any new news, such as "Island Mktg must have taken customer suggestions seriously, and at least are giving the perception that they are treating their horses better"?

I find the conversation Sprindal had with the CSR at Island a little disconcerting, even though I would hope that Island Mktg has more regard for their horses (in reality assets) than the feeling I am getting from reading these posts.

Thanks!

Hello, we were in Costa Maya in March. While in Majahual, we arranged horseback riding for $25 for 1 1/2 hours. The kids had their hearts set on it, but I wouldn't do it again...the horses were thin and didn't look like they were cared for very well. Also, it wasn't 1 1/2 hours..we learned what "Mexican Time" means....give or take 30 minutes!;)

Lisa

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was also interested in this thread, we will be going there in nov and thinking of the beach ride. I have not rode there but have in Cozumel and the dominican. I n cozumel the horses were not fat, but in very good condition. It was almost a 3 hr ride and I was ready to quit before they were. I have had horses, and shown all my life, but I was not used to the heat there, the horses were. I rode in the front and talked with the guide, the horses all wore shoes, and all of their food is imported, there is no grass for them it is bagged in the form of pellets. the conditions of the land is different there. Now in the Dominican there is lush pasture, the horses are large thorougbred ex polo ponies in excellent shape, big difference from the Mexican Mustangs that are normally small horses. I plan to check out Costa Maya on our trip, but will not pre book based on the info I saw on this site, I'll wait and check it out first. Thanks for the info!

• 3 months later...

OP,

there is a website called http://www.mayahualtours.com which offers a horseback riding excursion for $35. I haven't used them--just came across the website. I posted a question on this forum a month or so ago asking if anyone had used them, and nobody ever replied so I'm guessing not. It says that they will be discontinuing their horseback riding excursion on December 31 of this year, but if you're going in 10 days it would probably work for you.

We'll be in Costa Maya on the 6th of December, and some time ago I emailed them asking questions, and received several replies back from someone there who said they would send me a Paypal invoice, but after that I never received anything else. Their ordering system on their website is strange--it lets you pick a day of the week and time, but there is no place to put in a date!! Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to use them on my cruise in December. If you have any luck with them, please let me know. This is a great price if this excursion is for real.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any information about horseback riding in Costa Maya? I have seen mention of it but not how or where to book it. It is offered on the cruise ship excursions but the age limit is 12 years old. My grand daughter is almost 10 years old and takes riding lessons. Please HELP!!! She is really looking forward to riding. Thanks!!!

costamayacruiseexcursions.com used to offer it (and there is still a mention of it on their site). I asked about it on live chat they said they had yanked it due to poor customer reviews and the treatment/condition of the animals.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I are looking for the same activity to do while we're in Costa Maya in May. I found the website where Mayahualtours offers it but I had a few questions to ask them about the horseback riding, but they do not respond to emails.

I do not know if Mayahual tours are still in business or what. Now if they are, I find it a pretty bad business practice for them not to respond to potential customer's email questions.

Does anyone else know if there are other horseback riding operators in Costa Maya?

Archived