Mobility Scooter- any tips and ettiquette for Allure?

No problem. Firstly, airlines have a list of scooters that have been preapproved for onboard travel. The airlines are specifically interested in the type of battery the scooter uses. Call the airlines you use predominantly and enquire. Mom uses American, United, Air Canada and British Airways. Next, carry with you the specifications from the manufacturer of the scooter you have that details make, model, size, weight and battery type etc. You can get that online or with the documentation that came with the scooter. The first time we took it I asked via telephone whether they needed that info and was told "no," but then when we checked in they asked for it.

Mom drives it to the gate down the gangway and they take it from there. Take the scooter out of gear and ask if they need to keep the key. Secure the key to the scooter around the handle with a stretchy cord or the like. Make sure you have a duplicate key(s) with you, obviously not attached the scooter. I had extra keys made and I also taped one underneath the seat. Leave the scooter out of gear so that they can push it (lessens the likelihood of a joy ride). Ensure that you have clearly labelled with identification EACH COMPONENT of the scooter as it does come apart. They may not take it apart but you never know. The scooter has always been at the gangway when she disembarks and off she tootles.

There has never been in as much as a scratch on "Rosie" while in their possession. The airlines have always taken good care of it.

Thank you so much for the information. She actually has 2 scooters, one like your mother has and recently got a transformer scooter. It folds up with the push of a button and then can be rolled like a suitcase. You have made us feel much better about flying with it but we will still call the airline like you suggested! Thanks again!

Hello All,

Are there any areas where a mobility scooter shouldnt go? Is there an ettiquette that I dont know about in terms of getting seating at windjammer, where to park them when your eating etc?

Yes on the Dodge em track, the zip line or the pools and always use valet parking at the restaurants.

Seriously your father should not feel restricted at all you will find most seasoned cruisers and others will show courtesy and consideration to alternatively abled passengers and the infirm.

I rent a mobility scooter for my DH on all our cruises. DH walks with cane and cannot do long distances either. The rented scooters do fit through the doorway of a standard cabin (and I do need to hold the door for him). It's a bit of a tight squeeze but it does work.

Now, here's the important part... many cabins have the desk/sofa area first and then the bed, so the scooter can be "parked" in front of the desk while charging. It may be in your way a bit to get into drawers, mini bars, etc at the desk area, so you may need to move it back and forth a bit to get to your items. An accessible cabin would alleviate this issue, but we can live with this.

However, on the Allure, some cabins have the configuration where the bed comes first and then the desk/sofa area is next. This is a major problem for the scooter as you cannot get to the desk area to plug it in. You need to find out what the cabin configuration is first. We booked an accessible on Allure just to be sure we can get to the plug to charge it.

Another issue to watch for on the ship... some doorway threshholds stick up and the scooter gets stuck on it. If you see this, you'll have to avoid that route and go another way. We encounter this problem on many ships (and on different lines).

Tip: when entering an elevator, drive straight in into the center, and then there will be plenty of room for people to stand around the scooter on either side.

Tip: make sure scooter is fully charged when going around the ship and even at the port area (yes, you can take it off the ship and around the port area).

AT the buffet area: we have found many crew/staff very helpful in going through the buffet with the person on the scooter..holding their plate and placing food on the plate for you! Often having them go to front of the line sometimes too (depends on who is working in the buffet area).

Embarking/disembarking: Upon arrival at the pier, we seek out a port worker and ask for wheelchair assistance, and then they direct us where to go. They will wheel you onto the ship and let you off in lobby area (they can only go so far on to the ship). You can arrange at guest services for someone to come with wheelchair and assist with disembarkation. You will be taken through customs and to the taxi/shuttle area.

Hope this helps.

Yes on the Dodge em track, the zip line or the pools and always use valet parking at the restaurants.

Seriously your father should not feel restricted at all you will find most seasoned cruisers and others will show courtesy and consideration to alternatively abled passengers and the infirm.

DH just parks the scooter next to the table in the buffet or against a wall near where we are sitting and makes sure it's not in anyone's way where it would stick out and trip someone, etc.

For the main dining room, he parks it out in the hallway area against the wall and takes the key (again..making sure it's off to the side and not in anyone's way. If you don't know where to park it, just ask the maitre'd.

DH just parks the scooter next to the table in the buffet or against a wall near where we are sitting and makes sure it's not in anyone's way where it would stick out and trip someone, etc.

For the main dining room, he parks it out in the hallway area against the wall and takes the key (again..making sure it's off to the side and not in anyone's way. If you don't know where to park it, just ask the maitre'd.

I was on the Allure last November and had absolutely no problem with my scooter anywhere I went and I did the exact same thing. Everyone we encountered was more than gracious even taking their time to help. The steward told us to park right next to our door and no one complained. Being that most of the day and part of the night there are several huge linen carts next to our cabins, which are way more cumbersome than our tiny scooters, I don't see why anyone would complain. By for the grace of God most of you don't have to use a scooter. I, unfortunately, do and I don't plan to miss one minute of this cruise which is for my daughter's birthday and might well be the last I take.

I have seen scooters on the pool deck or the top deck overlooking the pool deck at the most crowded times. With the way people move chairs, some of the walkways are narrow and have bottlenecks. This is not the fault of the passengers on the scooters. Using a different public deck to cross to the other end of the ship would be easier, if that is what they are trying to do.

If the passenger on the scooter wants to be on the pool deck, I guess they all managed to get through the crowded walkways when they arrived and wanted to leave.