wheelchair rentals

mgmigs

This would probably vary from policy to policy as would also likely involve some sort of documentation (ie. prescription) from a doctor. We rented a wheelchair for my mother on last cruise but did not submit to insurance. In the case of my wife we bring her own from home. The purchase was covered by insurance but I am not sure if same would have applied to a rental.

Perhaps contacting one of the wheelchair rental outfits that RCI users would help. Links are at the following RCI page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/mobilityImpairment.do

does anyone know if wheelchair rentals on cruise ships covered by health insurance?

If you have private insurance you have to check your durable equipment benefits as everyones insurance is different.

Medicare will not cover it if it's NOT already required that the individual needs it for their daily living needs within their home. And at that Medicare would than expect that the individual already owns a wheelchair since if would be needed to meet their daily living needs inside their home and that it could be taken with them . Medicare views rental of any mobility equipment that's not required to meet the individuals daily living needs inside their own home as a convenience and not a medical neccessity.

If your doctor determines that the the wheelchair is medically necessary than check with your tax advisor. Depending on your incomes and medical deductions you might be able to count the rental fee against qualifying for the Federal Medical Deduction. Provided that you obtained a RX from your doctor prior to renting it. But as I stated you need to check with your tax advisor if this can be done.

Good news maybe. Check with Royal. Sailed on the Allure in Dec and they supplied them for free. Showed up for our cruise not expecting any, and i use a walker. When we arrived they offered us one and we used it all week...................DAVE

This was an extremely rare exception that RCCL offered it to you for the week. This is not the norm and the OP should not count on this happening as it's not RCCL's policy to rent or loan wheelchairs to anyone with the exception of someone actually being injured on the cruise ship. RCCL will provide wheelchair assistance during embarkation and debarkation only. Their policy states that passengers must provide their own mobility equipment. Refer to this link

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/mobilityImpairment.do

Archived