First cruise question

Cashmeezy

Hello,

My girlfriend and I will be sailing on the Norwegian Gem Sept. 18th, This will be the first cruise for both of us. We are very excited and nervous, we're not sure how much money we should bring. I am 24 & she is 23 years old, we like to have a good time, go out have a few drinks. We dont plan on gambling, we dont play on buying shore excursions as we both read we can do things on our own, we dont plan on buy much like photos,art,jewelry,etc.. what would be an ideal amouth to bring for a 1st time cruiser? our onboard services are already paid for if that helps any.

thanks

Everything you purchase on the ship is charged to your onboard account which can be settled with either cash or a credit card. How will you pay? This will impact the cash you will need.

Most people figure $100 per person per port, but this number can vary signifcantly. If you walk off the ship and walk or take a bus to a beach, that is nearly free. A beer or two each might be $10 each. If you hire a cab for the day and buy lunch ashore, then it will add up.

The Gem is a fun ship. Enjoy your 1st cruise. If you haven't done so already, go to the roll call section & join in for your voyage.

CW says to budget $100 per day per person in extra expenses. That is not always the same as cash.

Your sign & sail card can be tied to a credit card. You will still need about $200 in small bills for tips. When you arrive at the pier in Midtown the steevdores who take your luggage will want a few bucks for your bags, there will be taxi drivers & possibly tour operators for excursions, room service etc. all of whom will need to be tipped.

On board, you need to account for automatic tips. I think it's $11 or $12 per per person per day extra. If you buy an alcoholic drink a gratuity of 18.5% will automatically be added. Drink prices are about the same as a mid range place in NYC. Budget accordingly & beware of going overbaord w/ your plastic. You can bring wine on board & pay a corkage fee.

Other things that cost extra include speciality restaurants, photos, souveniers, excursions, gambling, bingo, the spa, art auctions & shopping.

Bon Voyage.

I forgot to add that if you want to go off on your own, you need to do your homework before the cruise. Good sources include you local library, it probably has guide books, the Ports of Call section of these boards and the Roll Call for your cruise. There you can meet others sailing with you. You may even hook up with others who have similar plans to you. To join, Click Boards at the top of this page, Scroll down to Roll Calls, click on your cruise line, Click on your ship. Find the thread for your sailing.

Three ports I budget maybe $600 for both of us, but never plan on spending that much. Mostly I bring that much in case there is a emergency. I used to maybe bring $800 in cash, but that was too much.

You can keep costs much less than this if you try.

Archived