Athens tour guide question

trvlnliz

I went through Athens By Taxi site and had the pleasure of corresponding with Potoula, who helped me through the whole process from start to finish.

We returned from our 12nt Med cruise a week and a half ago. Our party of 10 booked a Half Day Athens tour that included BOTH a driver and a licensed guide. I don't believe we got any of the Kalomiris family, but one of their partners.

It was one of our favorite tours of the cruise! Our tour guide really was one of the best of our entire vacation. She was top-notch! The vehicle was so clean, comfortable and spacious, the driver so pleasant and professional. Everything was handled perfectly and could not have gone any better.

I hope to one day return to Athens and I will be sure to use their services again. Highly recommend using them. =)

We were in Athens on June 14, 2012. We used Athensbytaxi.com and were thrilled with the service. Our driver was Grigoris and our guide Margarita. The minivan was clean and fresh smelling. Working with this company was easy, with Potoula most responsive and helpful. We were able to customize this excursion to our desires, which included a trip out to Cape Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon. We also highly recommend this itinerary (AM Acropolis, temple of Zeus, etc....all right in Athens, then to Cape Sounion.) It was very nice to get out of the tourist-packed Athens zoo, and out on the beautiful Aegean Sea.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Dee

We recently ( July) used paul_kalomiris for a day tour of Athens and were pleased with the professional service that was given. Our driver Dimitri's was waiting for us as promised at the pier and we had a great tour including all the main sites of Athens. He let us do it at our pace, always explained the history behind the sites and was a most enjoyable day. Dimitri's spoke great english and one of the best drivers were had ever had and he also had a great sense of humour. i would highly recommend Greek tours for your time in Athens. Once Thanks Paul and Dimitri's for a most entertaining and enjoyable day of touring Athens

Edited by harfield

We booked Greek taxi based on TripAdvisor reviews and were not disappointed. Our guide Alex was there right on time with a big smile on his face. We wanted a more intimate view of the city than the cruise boats offer as my husband is blind and we find it easier to try and escape the crowds. Alex got us up to the Parthenon immediately so as to minimize the crowds and then we were off to a jam packed day zig zagging around Athens. Alex brought it all to life for us with his deep love for his country and his terrific sense of humor. We had the best lunch on our cruise at a restaurant that Alex suggested. He returned us to the port with smiles on our faces.

• 2 weeks later...

We have hired Athens by Taxi (http://www.*************) for a couple days in Athens, pre-cruise. We have asked to be picked up at the airport and then go to Cape Sounion. Because we are already at the airport, to go to the east side of the area, is not a problem. Then to go south to Sounion via the eastern route, returning to Athens up the western coast. (Or they may decide to do west coast and then the east coat). At any rate, is it worth going up to Marathon. The museum will be closed on Monday and I didn't know whether there was any scenic beauty of that area or not. If not, we will probably request eliminating that part. We arrive at 10:30am off the plane so do do all of that afterwards may be too much. Please advise.

Just returned from a cruise that included Athens and we used the Athens by Taxi and I can't say enough great things about this company. We were heading down the Acropolis when the cruise boat tours showed up.

I had been to Athens before but this was the first time for my teenage kiddos. What an amazing experience! Dimetrius was such an amazing guide and really made the experience a memorable one for my children. I can't say enough great things about Athens by Taxi and would highly recommend them to anyone!

I plan on using them again next year when make another stop in Athens :)

Just returned from a cruise that included Athens and we used the Athens by Taxi and I can't say enough great things about this company. We were heading down the Acropolis when the cruise boat tours showed up.

I had been to Athens before but this was the first time for my teenage kiddos. What an amazing experience! Dimetrius was such an amazing guide and really made the experience a memorable one for my children. I can't say enough great things about Athens by Taxi and would highly recommend them to anyone!

I plan on using them again next year when make another stop in Athens :)

For you and others that use athens by taxi and private greece tours what did you tip your driver?

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone organising tours for either of the above Posts/Dates? If so, what itineraries are planned, type of transports, times costs, etc? Many thanks.

Your best place for this type of question would be your Roll Call for your sailing.

• 4 weeks later...

Athens bu Taxi was teriffic. They recommended a guide, and we had Gregory, who really gave us an idea of what is going on there during this difficult period, as well as education us on all the historical sites. Dimitrius was our driver and we never questioned his ability to handle the streets safely. If you can gather up a part of 6-8, you will have plenty of room in their vehicle as well as cuttting expenses by 35-50% off ships tour prices.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from our cruise that ended in Athens and arranged a transfer from port to our hotel for our party of 5 through PKtravel Minibus Taxi Tours https://www.athensminibus.com

Booking arrangements were very efficient and e-mail followup confirmations were informative, timely and friendly. The vehicle was clean and comfortable. Our driver Bill was very friendly, courteous and helpful. We were very pleased with these services provided by Potoula and Paul Kalomiris. Thanks

Yesterday we were 8 hours late getting in to Athens because of delays and lost luggage. So e0mailed Potula and a change was made. Nick met us at 6 Oclock instead of 10;30am as planned but we had missed an entire day. He was great in giving an alternative plan.

We had scheduled Athens Walking tour visit wiht dinner for all day today which was amazing. AAWT was amazing, too. Then Nick met us at the hotel at 5:00 and took us to Sounion to see the sunset. He returned us to Athens and to our pre-planned restaurant making sure that we knew how to find the metro and our restaurant. He was so professional, yet easy going and made our frustrations of the day before so calming.

Tomorow he will pick us up and we go to Corinth, Messina and Naphlion for a full day and will take us to the ship. I highly recommend them. Nick is Paul's son. Potula, Nick's sister has been very efficient in adjusting our schedules, too.

Highly recommendd.

We booked a half day tour of Athens in an air-conditioned Mercedes limo with greek taxi and had a wonderful time. The air conditioning worked great, thank god, as it was about 100 degrees when we were visiting in August 2012. Our driver, Christos, was wonderful and very knowledgeable about Athens and the sites we went to. The fee was very reasonable, especially split with another couple we me on cruise critic. It was even less than what a taxi would have been to take us to the Acropolis.

Edited by gowie

Having used Greek Taxi three years ago, we booked their services again as we were travelling with friends, who had never been to Athens.

Our scheduled port day was the day of the planned strike in Athens and RCI had flipped our arrival days with Mykonos. We didn't need to worry about losing out on our private tour as PKTravel already knew of the change and had already rescheduled our date and time of pick up.

As it was three years ago, the tour was great value for the money. We did not need a guide as Paul (2009) and Dimitri (2012) were eager to share their knowledge of the sites and history of the country with us. We seem to be ahead of all the big bus tours most of the day and at no time were we worried about missing the ship.

I would highly recommend this company to anyone wishing a private tour of Athens and would use them a third time if the occasion arises.

I highly recommend using the services of athensbytaxi.com. Our group of seven recently enjoyed a very delightful, informative day in Athens. Our driver, Bill, was very courteous and spoke very good English. Our guide, Yiota, was extremely knowledgeable, professional, informative and delightful. She made our trip to Athens very memorable.

I have Athens By Taxi booked for next week for the Athens-Corinth full day trip. We were not planning on hiring a guide. We have downloaded Rick Steves guides for the Acropolis and Athens.

I know the drivers are not licensed tour guides....but do they provide history & information as they drive?

• 2 weeks later...

We used paul_kalomiris ( goggle greektaxi or athensminibus) for a day tour of Athens and were pleased with the professional service that was given.

We arrived on a day when protests were planned for the city centre. Princess were not recommending independent travel due to possible delays when returning to the ship.

Our driver Dimitri's was waiting for us as promised at the pier and we had a great tour including all the main sites of Athens. He let us do it at our pace, always explained the history behind the sites and was a most enjoyable day. Dimitri's spoke great English.

I would highly recommend Greek tours for your time in Athens.

Thanks Paul and Dimitri's for a most entertaining and enjoyable day of touring Athens. We arrived back at the ship with plenty of time to visit the buffet and have a Margarita before departing Athens. :):);)

Hello,

I need some help about booking a private tour in Athens for September 2011. I contacted Dimitrius and Paul at athensbytaxi.com and was impressed with what he offered, Does anyone have experience with him?

Thank you

We have experience with both Dimitri and Paul and can highly recommend them.

You are in for a treat when you tour with either of them.

Edited by Mapu

I have Athens By Taxi booked for next week for the Athens-Corinth full day trip. We were not planning on hiring a guide. We have downloaded Rick Steves guides for the Acropolis and Athens.

I know the drivers are not licensed tour guides....but do they provide history & information as they drive?

If you go with Paul or Dimitri you will not be disappointed. They are not licensed guides but have a wealth of knowledge to share. paul_kalomiris@hotmail.com

We arrived in Piraeus from a wonderful cruise on the Seabourn Quest and wanted a quick tour of Athens and to see the Acropolis Museum before our plane left later in the day. We wanted a taxi service that had a minivan as we were 4 people with 8 bags. We found that and more with GreekTaxi (PKTRAVEL). Mr. Paul Kalomiris was a superb driver, was on time, knowledgeable and a great personality. He exceeded our expectations and has both regular taxis and minivans. You won't be disappointed.

My 3 friends and I recently toured Athens with Paul as driver and Yiota as our guide for the Acropolis.

My friends were not happy about getting up so eary (met them at 7:30 or 8:00) but we got to the Acropolis before the hordes from the big buses. We were hesitant about walking all the way up but Yiota was great- taking it easy and stopping and talking about what we were seeing.

They gave us a great tour and I would highly recommend them.

Sue

We toured Athens and Cape Sounion on October 7, 2012. I booked our tour with athensminibus.com Our group had an absolutely marvelous time. From my first e-mail to Potoula, we had courteous service. They helped me plan the tour for our group. We were met at the pier by Panagiotis, our guide and Paul, our driver. We were so lucky to have had the two of them. They both displayed pride and knowledge about their country. Their English was perfect! They met us at 7:30am and drove us to the Acropolis so we beat the crowds. After a two hour tour with Panagiotis, we drove to the Platka for a little shopping and then to see the changing of the guard. We then went to a small restaurant for authentic Greek food. It was delicious! After lunch they drove us out to Cape Sounion to see the Temple of Poseidon. All the way out, they explained the sights and gave us more history. one of the people in our tour wanted to put her feet in the Agean sea, so they stopped at a small beach to accommodate our wishes. This was a completely customized tour that Potoula helped me create. We had 12 people in our group and the minibus was clean, spacious and air-conditioned. I highly recommend athensminibus.com The tour was 600 euros for the minibus. For twelve people this was only 50 euros per person. What a bargain for such a wonderful tour.

If you go with Paul or Dimitri you will not be disappointed. They are not licensed guides but have a wealth of knowledge to share. paul_kalomiris@hotmail.com

I agree, if you have Rick Steves' guide and you read it and are on top of what you are visiting, you will be able to get a good understanding of what you are seeing. Of course, a guide might be able to share more, but you will have an overview to be sure.

Happy Camper Cruising

We recently returned from an Oct. Med. cruise. We booked a 5 hour tour of Athens with Paul and Potoula Kalormiris at *************. Our driver was Constantine, and the tour was fantastic! Saw the Acropolis early, before the big crowds, and we were given all the time we needed. Constantine was delightful - used to teach music in public schools - very fluent in English. He took us several places, including the Church of St. George on Lycabettus Hill (highest point in Athens), which was spectacular. Couldn't have asked for a better time.