Seasick medication?

Can anyone tell me what is the best type to take so that I won't get sick!

This is my first cruise and I can't even ride in the back of a car without getting naseaous! We are on the Aloha deck-Star Princess 4/17/05-somoene suggested Bonine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Bonine is great but buy the generic "Meclizine HCL" instead. 8 pills of Bonine cost around $6-$8. 100 pills of Meclizine cost from $5 to $7. Cheapest place I found is Costco but you can buy at Walmart, Target and any drug store..

I'm a firm believer in "Sea Bands" [the little knit/pressure bands that you wear on your wrists]. Some people will argue that the sea band remedy is just in my head, but hey, I think they work so therefore they do. We got caught in a hurricane a few years back and the sea bands + the Meclizine did the trick for me. I wear the bands when I fly, cruise, or ride a car on curvy roads.

Call your doctor for a prescription, they do dilate your eyes, but they work better than anything I've ever tried. When you are rocking and rolling around the Gulf and the bait starts to smell, you'll bless the patch.

Wilson,

My wife is like you-gets sick riding in the back seat- she does the sea bands& non drowsy dramamine and she does fine on a cruise-we're going on our 7th in 47 days.

good luck & enjoy your cruise

BONINE is the best one to take for motion sickness, even my doctor suggest this one as being the better one to take...

The sea bands do work, but only for those who suffer a mild case of motions sickness.

If you are a big time suffer of motion sickness, then please do not take a chance, and take the bonine pills. They do not make you sleepy and you only need one or two pills a day thats it!!

Take it from one who knows

Has anyone tried any of the homeopathic remedies on the market for seasickness?

For example, Hyland's Natural Relief Motion Sickness capsules? The ingredients listed (Nux Vomica 6X HPUS, Tabacum 6X HPUS, Petroleum 12X HPUS, Cocculus Indicus 30X HPUS in a base of Lactose, USP) don't mean a thing to me.

I know Ginger and wristbands have been recommended but are there any other "natural" remedies?

Meclizine (Bonine & non-drowsy Dramamine) makes me very sleepy!

Any other ideas?

Thank you all for your suggestions-

I am gonna stick with the non-drowsy dramamine, wristbands and ginger capsules. I want to be somewhat awake while I am drinking my pina colada while lounging by the pool:D :D :D

Non-drowsy dramamine is the same thing as Bonine. Here on Long Island the Bonine is about $1.50 to $2.00 cheaper then the non-drowsy dramamine. I couldn't find the generic in a few stores I looked in so I just gave in and bought the Bonine for my 1st cruise that leaves in 16 days!

Forget the homeopathic remedies, too many different remedies. I work for Naturopathic Doctors who do 99 % homeopathy in their pratice. They don't recommend multiple remedies. They do recommend ginger capsules or just chewing sucking on crystalized ginger. Didn't ask about a remedy but each person depending on alot of things might each be given a different remedy for the seasickness, alot of other things go into figuring out what. Go with the ginger and the bonine, that is what I am going to try.

I wear the sea bands for short sailing trips or other short trips (under 4 hours) when I'm not the driver, but they don't do it long term for me.

Go for the Bonine (the 24 hour one) - the real stuff, brand name and everything! I have some perscription mec for occasional vertigo that the Doc ok'd for the cruise, but I find it wears off after only a few hours and I'm taking it too often. I usually take 1 Bonine every morning of the cruise. If it makes you sleepy, schedule it for right before you go to bed. Also, start taking it the day BEFORE you go. Alway take it at the same time. Wallyworld and Tar-j usually have it pretty cheap - and if it's only a 7 day cruise you only need 8 anyway.

I get queasy WATCHING movement (HighDef TV is gonna kill me!) -- I even wore my sea bands when we saw an IMAX film on the Titanic. I got a lot of teasing before hand ("We're not ACTUALLY going on the ship Lis!"), but boy was I glad I did!

depends on how much alcohol you are talking about!

I usually have a drink, maybe 2 (ok, sometimes 3) while I'm on a cruise, while using Bonine. No worries on my part. I had asked my doc before the cruie (I was taking perscrip. mec at the time) and he said a drink or two each day would not be an issue.

The combination might make you a little sleepier, might upset your tummy, things like that. I, personally, would not drink too much while taking Bonine (or frankly, any drug!)

Discalaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Archived