Review - Alaska Excursions

galavant3

For those planning a trip to Alaska, I thought I would share our thoughts and experiences on the excursions we took last week. We are first time Regent cruisers and it was our first time to Alaska. It really was an amazing trip and even though I didn’t love every excursion, the trip was incredible. For most of the outdoor excursions (especially those that involved glaciers) we wore long underwear, fleece, waterproof jackets, gloves and hats. Those that didn’t really weren’t able to fully appreciate the activity since they were forced to stay inside the boat for long periods of time. We were quite comfortable and happy that we packed what we did. Did not see a single mosquito on any of our excursions. Most days were were able to book 2 excursions so we were quite busy which left limited time to roam around town.

This is just my personal opinion. I'm sure if you surveyed all participants, I'm sure you would get a variety of responses. We were a party of 4 and all in our early 50's.

Sitka

Sitka Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest. In a word – excellent. We saw some whales at a distance and tons of sea otters. Would recommend.

Wilderness Sea Kayaking Adventure – I’m not sure when the “Adventure” happened. We were geared up in waterproof pants and jackets and it really felt as if we were embarking on a real expedition. Then we took a short ride to the “float house” where the kayaks were. We got into the two person canoes and started out. After about 5 minutes we realized that we were just going to be kayaking around the large “pond”. It was a definite let down. I realize that technically it is “sea” water but it was the most sedate kayaking trip you can imagine. We were disappointed because we were expecting a different type of trip. Now, the water was crystal clear and you could easily see sea stars (I think that’s what they were called) and there were tons of fish. Also, a couple of eagles call the area home. If you are looking for a sedate kayaking trip (and I mean SEDATE) this might be a good option. If you are looking for an adventure, choose something else. The hardest part was getting in and out of the canoe. In fact for some, it was a real challenge. Seriously. If you have hip or knee issues, make sure you understand what you will need to do to get in and out of the kayak.

Tracy Arm

Tracy Arm – Outstanding. We had a world class experience at Hubbard Glacier. Because of that we thought Tracy Arm would be redundant. The terrain is quite different and I highly recommend it. Some people weren’t aware of the excursion and by the time they heard about it, it was already full. If it isn’t showing up on the list of excursions call and inquire. Also, friends went on the exact same cruise and weren’t sign up for Tracy Arm. They showed up the morning of and 6 people didn’t show so they were able to go. Just do it.

The ship packed box lunches for the trip from Tracy Arm to Juneau which was very nice.

Juneau

Mendenhall Glacier Native Canoe Adventure – The Regent group (no one else was there) filled two 12 person canoes. We all put on the waterproof pants but since we were wearing waterproof jackets, we didn’t need all their gear. It did require some effort but since there were 12 in each canoe plus the guide, you could just stop rowing to rest or take photos. This really was a magnificent trip. We canoed among large and small icebergs (literally could touch them) and got quite close to the Glacier. Since we were in canoes the silence was so wonderful. I knew Mendenhall was a popular trip so I was shocked that we were the only ones there. I would do this again in a heartbeat. Then we stopped at a huge waterfall for a snack and had time to relax and take photos. Highly recommend this tour.

Skagway

Klondike Rock Climbing and Rappelling – I would not recommend this trip unless you have rock climbed before (not the “back of the ship” or indoor rock climbing, but real rock climbing). It was beautiful but extremely difficult. Only 4 of our group of 6 were able to participate. They give you rock climbing shoes but you don’t wear gloves. It was hard on the hands and one member of our party was bitten by something and his hand swelled up. The rappelling was much easier but again, only 4 of the 6 felt comfortable participating. If you have rock climbed in the past, you will probably enjoy it. If not, and you want a similar experience, I would recommend the zipline at the same location. We were wishing we had chosen that. I don't think that our age was really an issue because we saw much younger people struggling also.

On the other hand, I am extremely proud that I was able to climb to the top of the cliff (and have photos to prove it).

Skagway by Streetcar – I think I was tired from the rock climbing and maybe not receptive but I wish we had skipped this. The trip began by dropping us off to watch a 20 minute film. I really can’t address the film since I fell asleep. Then we boarded the streetcar and rode around town. The drivers are dressed up and it is a bit of a “show”. Not really what we were looking for.

Ketchikan

Cruise George Inlet and Crab Feast – it was fun and the crabs were tasty. We did see some eagles on the ride to the inlet. Would not repeat but it was enjoyable.

All in all we had an amazing time. The few "disappointments" (and I really hestitate to use that word) did not lessen the experience one bit.

Thank you so much Debmarie for posting these reviews. My husband and I will be going on our FIRST cruise to Alaska next year, so hearing about other people's experiences is very helpful to us.

Not knowing if we will ever get a chance to visit Alaska a second time, we want to be sure to use our time wisely and go on the best excursions. I hope others will share their reviews as well.

Thanks again!:)

Archived